CD Changer Wiring - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

CD Changer Wiring

I've been using a cassette adapter connected to my Zune for tunes, so it's time to take the 6-disc changer out of the side bag. I've searched the forum and it's pretty straightforward, so I'm not concerned about that.

However, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to connect any type of MP3 device to the existing changer wiring. All I want to do is connect power and ground to the Zune, and plug in a standard audio jack to the headphone port, and have that wired to the audio output wires of the changer. Is this possible? I realize I won't have full control, but that's not a problem - just put it on shuffle before the ride starts and go.

There are two connectors to the changer: one has three wires (white/violet, brown/black, and red/blue) and is identified in the wiring diagrams as connector X9961. The other (X9960) has three wires (brown, black, and yellow) and a shield wire.

So, here's my questions:

Am I safe in assuming the shielded wires are the audio wires (common, left and right channel)? If so, does anyone know which is common?

The unshielded wires - brown is usually 12v, black is ground. Am I correct in assuming the yellow is some sort of signal wire to change tracks or CDs?

If I plugged a Zune auto power plug into the power and ground wires, and hooked the output jack to the audio wires from the changer, would I need a ground loop in the power lead to prevent problems? Would the radio still accept audio input from the leads if there is no CD changer present?

Hey, it's winter, I'm bored....... :-)

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:11 pm
BMW Guru

there is a product that converts the CD Changer input cable into a stereo RCA cable input. I'll see if I can find it...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:13 pm
BMW Guru

I think this is it....

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...dmxv1ddsp.html

I know Raffy had one on his 04 so maybe he'll chime in here.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:21 pm

I'm sure someone with more than my thimblefull of knowledge will chime in, but note that a brown wire is usually ground on BMWs.

A few years back there were several threads on using existing CD changer connections for input for other devices. One was called a BlitzSafe; apparently it can be used with any MP3 player. I searched the forum and found this link to the product, might be worth a look: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzbmwauxv1.html I don't have any personal experience with this product.

For a while the IceLink (distributed for a while by Dension) was the gizmo of choice to connect an iPod to the KLT system. I have one myself that I used for a while before changing over to the Garmin Zumo's built in MP3 player. The IceLink apparently is no more but there is a similar product called the Dice. I checked the website; apparently it supports only iPods and not your player.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
So, here's my questions:

Am I safe in assuming the shielded wires are the audio wires (common, left and right channel)? If so, does anyone know which is common?

The unshielded wires - brown is usually 12v, black is ground. Am I correct in assuming the yellow is some sort of signal wire to change tracks or CDs?

Hey, it's winter, I'm bored....... :-)
Don't let your boredom fry something. Black is NEVER ground on a European vehicle. You may occasionally find a ground wire with a black sheath over it, but that'll only be a main body ground in an engine bay or other exposed area.

Black is positive. Brown is ground. Brown with a coloured tracer is a ground signal. Red is also positive (duh), and red with a tracer will be a positive signal. All other colours are generally signal and/or positive fed wires also.

Brett
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretta
Don't let your boredom fry something. Black is NEVER ground on a European vehicle. You may occasionally find a ground wire with a black sheath over it, but that'll only be a main body ground in an engine bay or other exposed area.

Black is positive. Brown is ground. Brown with a coloured tracer is a ground signal. Red is also positive (duh), and red with a tracer will be a positive signal. All other colours are generally signal and/or positive fed wires also.

Brett
Oh, I'd always check my signals with my DVOM before hooking anything up. And yes, you are correct that the brown wire is ground (too many years working on American and Japanese products, I guess).

Is there anywhere I can find a pin-out chart for the radio and/or changer? If I can get my hands on one, problem solved. I've yet to see one in any BMW tech information.

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:59 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You really need to use one of the devices other have posted about as the I-Link in the radio will detect that the CD changer is not there and bypass the signals. In other words you cannot just tap into the audio lines as you can never "select" them from the radio. I hate it when electronics is smarter than I want it to be.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You really need to use one of the devices other have posted about as the I-Link in the radio will detect that the CD changer is not there and bypass the signals. In other words you cannot just tap into the audio lines as you can never "select" them from the radio. I hate it when electronics is smarter than I want it to be.
Ahh, that's what I needed to know! There's no sense trying to decipher the wiring if the radio head won't recognize anything connected to it, is there?

post #9 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

One thing you can do if you are going to remove the CD changer anyway is re-use the OTHER end of the cable. There are two 10 pin connectors on the rear of the radio one for the changer and the other for the intercom tie in. The connectors are the same just that the other side has the AUX in ports that CAN be selected. That is where I feed my mixed audio (MP3, XM, & GPS) into the system.
These are the pinouts for the other side, you will have to move wires around in the original CD changer connector:

4 -- audio ground
7 -- power ground
8 -- AUX audio in, right channel
9 -- AUX audio in, left channel
10 -- +12V power -- controlled by radio ON button

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:29 am

Re: CD Changer Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
One thing you can do if you are going to remove the CD changer anyway is re-use the OTHER end of the cable. There are two 10 pin connectors on the rear of the radio one for the changer and the other for the intercom tie in. The connectors are the same just that the other side has the AUX in ports that CAN be selected. That is where I feed my mixed audio (MP3, XM, & GPS) into the system.
These are the pinouts for the other side, you will have to move wires around in the original CD changer connector:

4 -- audio ground
7 -- power ground
8 -- AUX audio in, right channel
9 -- AUX audio in, left channel
10 -- +12V power -- controlled by radio ON button

Can you explain this hookup? I want to connect an MP3 player to the radio.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: CD Changer Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertz
Can you explain this hookup? I want to connect an MP3 player to the radio.
On the back of the radio there is an unused (if you don't have a factory intrcom) AUX port. It is standard 10 pin 0.100" spacing ( like a computer IDE header) and the pin numbers are visible at the connector. Wire up a 10 pin connector and a plug for your MP3 player. Be advised the volume will have to be cranked up. I used a small amp in line when I did this. Many have used a Boosteroo product.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in