NO Shim at all???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

NO Shim at all????

After the inevitable final drive failure I've finally found time to tear the drive unit down and see the damage. Summary: Obvious failure of the Crown Bearing, 19 ball FAG unit on a 1999 LT with about 40K.

I've done lots of reading about ensuring you get the proper shim installed when you put it back together. However, when I took mine apart there as NO shim at all installed in between the housing/housing cover. Is that right??? It appears that I'm the first person to break into the box, so it would seem it came from the factory this way. Is this normal???

I've also tried to locate the SKF bearing from someone other than a BMW dealer...I've found a couple online, but they want over 300.00 for it?????!!! I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see what they want. Seems I've read around 130.00.....we'll see.

Thanks to all,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 7:02 pm

preload shim

Are you sure the shim isn't stuck in the recess inside the final drive cover?
It would be surprising not to have one.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=47964

or Chicago BMW for 20% discount and slower delivery.

Navy flyer in Gitmo, huh?
Last name Captain?
Captain Captain?

I had a Navy shipmate name Sanders who switched from the AirForce to the Navy because he didn't want to become Col. Sanders.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 6th, 2008 at 7:21 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcaptain24
After the inevitable final drive failure I've finally found time to tear the drive unit down and see the damage. Summary: Obvious failure of the Crown Bearing, 19 ball FAG unit on a 1999 LT with about 40K.

I've done lots of reading about ensuring you get the proper shim installed when you put it back together. However, when I took mine apart there as NO shim at all installed in between the housing/housing cover. Is that right??? It appears that I'm the first person to break into the box, so it would seem it came from the factory this way. Is this normal???

I've also tried to locate the SKF bearing from someone other than a BMW dealer...I've found a couple online, but they want over 300.00 for it?????!!! I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see what they want. Seems I've read around 130.00.....we'll see.

Thanks to all,
Jason
I think the shim is between the housing cover and bearing. Probably still in the cover after you pulled the bearing out.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Brilliant

I knew when I posted this I was gonna come out looking like a moron. Yep, it's there, pressed up in the housing cover. That's not where I thought it was supposed to be based on the diagram I was looking at. Now that I've found it, all the talk about determining shim thickness makes a lot more sense.

CharlieVT,

I need to update my profile. I just got out of the Navy in November. I'm in Fort worth now....and don't miss GTMO a bit! And it was LT Captain....caused quite a bit of confusion!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES AND THE HELP!!!!!

Jason Captain
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:04 pm

SHIM Photo

Photo of the shim during teardown of a 2000 LT with 47K, that did not fail. Barnett

P.S. I see from your latest post you found your shim. I'll submit this photo for others to see what the open drive looks like!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Dump 8.21.06 113.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	15934  

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I knew when I posted this I was gonna come out looking like a moron. Yep, it's there, pressed up in the housing cover. That's not where I thought it was supposed to be based on the diagram I was looking at. Now that I've found it, all the talk about determining shim thickness makes a lot more sense.

CharlieVT,

I need to update my profile. I just got out of the Navy in November. I'm in Fort worth now....and don't miss GTMO a bit! And it was LT Captain....caused quite a bit of confusion!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES AND THE HELP!!!!!

Jason Captain
Jason,glad you got it figured out. Lots of good guys around the DFW area. Check out the South Central forum for news or a Ride To Eat.

Dan Martin
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 6:28 am

Rebuilding it

I have about 30K miles on my rebuild. I did a preemptive rebuild at 30K and now have 60K, no problems so far.

BMW has a special tool to calculate shim thickness and I didn't want to do a rebuild until I thought I could get it right. Then DMAN posted his procedure:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...18116#poststop

which I found to be an elegant and very workable alternative to the BMW special tool.
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 6:54 am

Quote:
I just got out of the Navy in November. I'm in Fort worth now....and don't miss GTMO a bit! And it was LT Captain....caused quite a bit of confusion!
Welcome back to the United States of America and thank you for your service to our nation!

Regards,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in