Laminar Lip New Trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Smile Laminar Lip New Trailer

Hi all, purchased an 05 LT this last fall with tall BMW shield. I have cut it down to mimic the euro cut, but I am have quite a bit of back pressure as a result. Better than tall shield, but still annoying. Will Laminar lip improve the pressure, or is there another option?
I recently purchased a Bushtec trailer, have never pulled a trailer with a bike before and am looking for tips or concerns before any trips this summer. I have much cycling experience, so I do not think it will not be a problem.

Thanks for the help an knowledge!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Lots of wind screens, do a search you will find them from CeeBailey, Parabellum, Areoflow and yes there is the add-on from LaminarLip. Have fun.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Back pressure typically comes from having the screen more verticle. I have a tall CB screen #1 Touring with wings. It's 1.5" taller than stock, but I rarely raise it past 50%.

Also, you will find that a raised screen will reduce MPG.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the reply. I have used some of the products you mentioned and have had success with them. I just know the lip is less expensive and if it does what they say it does it should work for less cost. I like the CB and Aeroflow stuff and have used it frequently in the past. Am interested in the CB/wings, looks as though it helps considerable, but does it reduce back pressure? I know what you mean about the loss of mileage with the shield up high. Rode it home 350 mile against a strong 25-30 mph wind with higher gusts and only averaged around 32 mpg's. Need to lose some weight. Have a buddy with a 99' who says he gets in the 50's two up while pulling a trailer. Think he's pulling my leg. Anyway thanks!
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Have a Bushtec, as well - our 2nd - been pullin 'em since 94, starting with an R80RT. With the LT, you might forget it's back there, they are so well engineered. You will need extra distance for stopping, and may suffer a bit with acceleration and mileage, but all well worth it, in our book. Also, John and his crew are first rate with service when needed. If the trailer did not come with a manual, call Bushtec and get one. Very helpful stuff!!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 6:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
BTDT. Tried just about every windshield combination available for the LT, and still have several of them gathering dust in the garage.

The bottom line is that while several options worked better for me, the Cee Bailey windscreen is the only option where my wife noticed a marked improvement. Also, I've had other LT friends ride my bike and comment on how it's the smoothest, cleanest air on any bike they've ever ridden.

A lot does depend on your relative heights, so the best option is to try several options and decide what works best for you. But that can get expensive quickly, unless you have a variety of LT friends nearby willing to swap bikes.

I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 8". The stock (tall) BMW windscreen was OK for me solo, but she noticed helmet buffeting at highway speeds. At anything over about 60 mph, she needed the windshield full up, and would notice immediately if it wasn't. But that meant I was always looking through the windshield, which wasn't good in the rain or sunset glare. So I cut the Euro-profile into the top of the stock screen. That meant I could look over it easier, but still wasn't great for either of us.

We tried a Laminar Lip and again I noticed a large improvement while she only got a slight improvement. But I hated looking at the rubber bumpers and velcro patches, and the Lip tended to deform and slip at higher speeds. I think these work much better on smaller bikes where they can be bolted to the windshield using the factory screws.

We then tried an Aeroflow windshield. It was much better with managing wind flow, but the severe curves generated way too much distortion, even with the screen set much lower than normal. I took it of after a couple of rides and less than 100 miles because of the severe distortion.

The Cee Bailey #2 windshield is also slightly curved to manage air flow, but not nearly as severe as the Aeroflow. When riding solo it can be left lower but pushes the air higher over my head. My wife still prefers it full up at freeway speeds, but I can just see over it and she's much happier. We've put tens of thousands of miles on this screen and are still happy with it. In fact, the only thing that convinced me to change the CB #2 windscreen was when they came out with the wings version, which we've also put many tens of thousands of miles on.

The only real trick with Cee Bailey is to decide how tall you want it. They base their measurements on the stock (tall) BMW screen. I'm using a CB #2 -2" screen, which because of the built-in flip ends up about the same as the stock screen full up. Some guys prefer shorter shields and are quite happy with the #2 -4" version.

Again, your best option is to find someone locally who has on and try it out, or maybe buy one used to save a few bucks, then sell it again if you don't like it (like I did with the Aeroflow).

Note that every bike is different. I hated the Cee Bailey on my '07 GT, and love the Aeroflow. But again, I have a garage full of slightly used windshields for this bike as well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Another vote for Cee Baileys # 2,
I have the -2 (without wings) and for a long time thought I should have bought the -3
( I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam)

Then I had my seat redone, it raised me up an inch and the windshield is just about perfect,
that little curve at the top of this windshield makes a world of difference.

I've never tried the laminar lip (too damn ugly)
but I've know several who had them and removed them
so my advice is save your $$ and get what you really want.

The trailer in the picture below is trailer # 4 and Bushtec # 3,
you're gonna love that trailer and if you do need a manual
you can download it free from the Bushtec website.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Hey thanks all, looks as though the CB is the way to go, #2 with wings. I am 6', 32" inseam also so will go with the reccomendations from you all. Thanks again
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Smile ARRRRGH, Windshields!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexem
Hi all, purchased an 05 LT this last fall with tall BMW shield. I have cut it down to mimic the euro cut, but I am have quite a bit of back pressure as a result. Better than tall shield, but still annoying. Will Laminar lip improve the pressure, or is there another option?
I recently purchased a Bushtec trailer, have never pulled a trailer with a bike before and am looking for tips or concerns before any trips this summer. I have much cycling experience, so I do not think it will not be a problem.

Thanks for the help an knowledge!!
Michael,

Trouble with windshields is what one person considers "acceptable" might just bother the heck out of someone else. So, by the time you find one you will tolerate, you will have the collection described by Mr. Meese. And, of course, the corresponding thinner wallet!

If I may make you an offer......................
It turns out that we don't live that far apart. (about 50 miles) And....... just happen to have a C Bailieys #2 -3 that I only use in hot weather (and isn't installed right now) If you would like to install it on your bike for a test ride or three to see if that style is what you are looking for????? If it turns out that's not what you want you won't have that expense and a dust collector in your garage.

My present shield is a V-stream. When Spring gets here we could get together for a ride and swap bikes and give you some idea if that one is "it."

Anyway......I see your number listed in the book ,and if you're so inclined, respond here or shoot me a PM and I'll call you in the next night or two.

Good Luck

BTW, pull a trailer too.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Duane thanks for the response, number is in the phone book. You just need to call after 7 PM. Thanks Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in