Simple valve adjustment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Simple valve adjustment

Just completed valve adjustment for my 60K Bmw "inspection"

A few valve checks ago I decided that when doing the valves I'd dispense with calculations and simply put in the next smaller bucket whenever I found a valve on the tight side. This technique works very well in my experience. I've never found a valve way out of spec, just a little tight. So going to the next size is really simple. Take out the bucket, look for one .005 thinner and put it in.

I got lucky because I had 5 intake valves too tight (exhaust valves were all good) and I had three buckets in the parts drawer. Between using buckets from the parts and "recycling" others I didn't need to go shopping at all. Quickest valve adjustment yet.

Life is Great in 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 1:28 am

That's the way I've been doing it. Quick, simple, easy and you don't have to count with your fingers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Talking

Plus 1 on the simple way. Like Grif, I've been doing that ever since he posted it a ways back and made me look over the math and say Doh! It really is that simple unless you have one that is way too tight, and that is not likely if you are checking them regularly.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Re: Simple valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Plus 1 on the simple way. Like Grif, I've been doing that ever since he posted it a ways back and made me look over the math and say Doh! It really is that simple unless you have one that is way too tight, and that is not likely if you are checking them regularly.

John
Well crap, I've wasted a good hour or so working on a bucket calculator program just to find out how simple it can be. But I like screwing around with the formulas so guess I'll finish it anyway, tuck it away in a file.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Talking Re: Simple valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
Well crap, I've wasted a good hour or so working on a bucket calculator program just to find out how simple it can be. But I like screwing around with the formulas so guess I'll finish it anyway, tuck it away in a file.
You're quite welcome Russ! Like I said in the post though, Grif is the one who first came up with the "simple solution"!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in