A new (to me) LT on the way - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 4:22 pm Thread Starter

A new (to me) LT on the way

I'm awaiting deliver of a 2003 LT with 23,000 miles on the clock. To say I am excited is an understatement. I'm riding a F650 GS now and have needed to get a bigger bike so my wife can go with me in a more comfortable way. She insisted I buy this, so I had to give in once again. I have driven a 2006 Gold Wing and a 2007 Eelctra Glide and felt the comfort level of both, but neither really suited me. One is a made over arc of a cruiser and the G.W., too easy I guess to ride and at times I really wondered if I was driving a car. No real excitment. I also did not like the chrome or style. It seemed dated too. Got the LT from Max BMW via the web from his New York store. Joe was most helpful as Max has been when I got my F650 the same way on 2005. Good people.

Any feed back is welcome. I did buy a new GEZA Gear Pro cover for it so I will be ready when the bike arrives. Thanks to this forum, I was able to learn about this cover brand as I ahd nver spotted in in the mags. I read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Congrats on your purchase... !

I guess you'll have to take her for a long ride when the weather cooperates...

P.S. we like to see pictures...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 4:48 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnowgun
I'm awaiting deliver of a 2003 LT with 23,000 miles on the clock. To say I am excited is an understatement. I'm riding a F650 GS now and have needed to get a bigger bike so my wife can go with me in a more comfortable way. She insisted I buy this, so I had to give in once again. I have driven a 2006 Gold Wing and a 2007 Eelctra Glide and felt the comfort level of both, but neither really suited me. One is a made over arc of a cruiser and the G.W., too easy I guess to ride and at times I really wondered if I was driving a car. No real excitment. I also did not like the chrome or style. It seemed dated too. Got the LT from Max BMW via the web from his New York store. Joe was most helpful as Max has been when I got my F650 the same way on 2005. Good people.

Any feed back is welcome. I did buy a new GEZA Gear Pro cover for it so I will be ready when the bike arrives. Thanks to this forum, I was able to learn about this cover brand as I ahd nver spotted in in the mags. I read.
Dana,

Welcome to the forum! Don't imagine you will have optimum riding weather for awhile, so, soak up all the shared knowledge you'll find here.

Cheers,

C. E. Doerr

Blu '02LTC "My Blue Heaven"

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Garage
First, welcome and congratulations!!!!

Quote:
...I'm riding a F650 GS now and have needed to get a bigger bike...
I still have my F650 'Funduro' and love to ride it when I can. I hope you are able to keep it.

The F650 reminds me where my 'roots' are, in a simple basic motorcycle, and my '02 LT lets me travel distances I am too old to want to cover now on the F650.
Besides, the speed (cruise) control, variable windshield, heated handgrips and seat can be such a guilty pleasure....
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Thumbs up

Congrats in your new to you LT . You are going to love your bike and the wonderful ride it gives you. I can not wait for spring to go riding again. It is hard to think about it with all this snow in the ground and such of cold temps. I am In Rumford ME, close to you maybe we can get together and ride in the spring. My wife rides a HD Dina low rider but she is changing to a new soft tail in the spring (is lower to the ground). She wanted the RT or GS but it was too tall for her. We go riding all over the place together and have a blast. I put 14k miles last summer alone and my wife about 5k. We are going to practise this spring in a parking lot, cus my wife is a fairly new rider and needs advance techniques. She is planning on taking advanced riding class that I recommend to learn to handle the bike better. You are welcome to join us if you want Max is a good dealer and gives great service and they come to your house to get it, just have to plan for it. Congrats again and keep in toch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

Last edited by spinedr; Jan 4th, 2008 at 6:52 pm.
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 2:00 am

Max BMW

I looked at a used bike from Max BMW. Joe said they would put a 2 year warranty on it for $1200. You might want to ask about it.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:30 pm
bt2

I'm currently a F650 rider too. Went on a few ~500 miles/day rides last summer and enjoyed riding. Thinking about a long distance touring bike to spend more time on the road. Looking at the specs of the K1200LT, I can imagine how the long distance experience can improve over that of the bare bones F650. More luggage, more comforts, more power etc.

That said, I would love to hear from others who rode mid-range bikes (650 - 750 cc, like the F650) as well as LTs on long distance rides. Some differences are obvious (based on specs), but it would be interesting to hear the not-so-obvious differences. Example, is there less fatigue at the end of a 500 mile day on a LT?

Appreciate your feedback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in