Trailer Tie-Down Process -- 2008 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Trailer Tie-Down Process -- 2008 LT

First Post.
I am a recovering HD Ultra Electric Glide receiving his new 2008 LT tomorrow. I could not deal with the seat discomfort any longer.

Question: I am use to a tie down procedure with HD's and there we always went for the highest tie down in front (handlebars) and then secure the back wheels. We would bring the front shocks down with some bottom play.

Somewhere in this site there is a tie down description that grabs the front forks low down on the fork and then a rear secure.

Has anyone tried a front higher tie down with handle bars --- I am concerned with clearance of the fairing. I guess I am use to the rule of tie down high and forward/side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:13 pm

David,

Take a look at this:

K1200LT Tie Down

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Seat Discomfort

If you thought the Harley seat was uncomfortable...

Start looking at various aftermarket makers of seats for the LT. I've ridden them for 7 years now and the stock seats are extremely uncomfortable after 200 miles. Similarly, you might be thinking about J-Pegs to alleviate knee pain as the "locked-in" riding posture of the K1200LT doesn't permit moving at all for hours. Great bike, but these two issues are real for long distance riding.

Good luck

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 1:26 pm

The big point of the tie down procedure is the handlebars are NOT a good tie point, as they can swing down if the clamps do not hold them. The covers over them also prevent getting a strap around them lower than the grips without breaking them. Do not be afraid to carefully run a soft strap around the fork leg near the fender brace (watch for hydraulic lines and wires) and snug the tie to your trailer. You do not need to get crazy with tension as you are not working against suspension. Also make sure you keep the tire from shifting. Follow the rear strap procedure as well and you will have no issues, but dont short the process!! This is a heavy machine that does not want to stand still :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 2:09 pm

David David David......LT's are designed to be ridden, not put on trailers! This is one of many things you will learn in your transition into the light from the dark side.

Just kidding of course....welcome and congrats on your new ride.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 3:11 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehueg
If you thought the Harley seat was uncomfortable...

Start looking at various aftermarket makers of seats for the LT. I've ridden them for 7 years now and the stock seats are extremely uncomfortable after 200 miles. Similarly, you might be thinking about J-Pegs to alleviate knee pain as the "locked-in" riding posture of the K1200LT doesn't permit moving at all for hours. Great bike, but these two issues are real for long distance riding.

Good luck
I would respectfully disagree. I have had five different motorcycles and the seat on the LT is very comfortable. Comfort is also personal preference.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

My buddy has a sticker that reads:
If this bike is being towed it has been stolen

PS I have the duel Kendon fold up trailer

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

All Great Replies

Yes I had seen the posted tie down pics and wondered about the real low position in the front. The back is no issue for me. That said there really is no alternative than to grab the front forks. I am using a lock chock so there is "some" stability there. My HD was about 830 lbs so heavy bikes I am familiar with and that is why I was partial to the high point of tie-down. I will try it on the "occasion" I actual tow rather than ride.

On the seat comment --- it begs the question. So what after market did you finally land on? Did you do both the captain and pass?
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I suggest trying the stock seats for awhile before plunging into the aftermarket arena. For me, the stock seat with beads gets the job done on those occasional 1000 mile days.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Cool trailering

An LT on a trailer???...Oh no...Your embarrassing me.
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Another X ultra rider

Don't be afraid to use the forks to secure the front wheel. A couple of soft ties just above the brace attached to rachet straps do just fine. Also, I discovered beneath the side cases (saddle bags in HD speak) are frame bars that you can slip a strap around to secure the rear end. Just to be safe I attach a couple of straps to the rear foot pegs pulling the bike forward to keep it tight into the wheel chock.
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Aftermarket Seat

On the seat comment --- it begs the question. So what after market did you finally land on? Did you do both the captain and pass?[/QUOTE]

A Rick Mayer. Night and Day difference. Some are OK with the stock seat but if you read the forums, many are not. The first day I bought mine I overheard another owner at the shop asking the dealer, "Where can I get a decent seat for this bike".
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
I suggest trying the stock seats for awhile before plunging into the aftermarket arena. For me, the stock seat with beads gets the job done on those occasional 1000 mile days.
Welcome to the site I have an 07 LT and the sit on the 07 is softer than the older bikes. That was one of the changes for the 07 model. I agree with my friend here. I went to Texas on April and by closing my legs over the sit I was able to ride 850+ miles per day with no problem and in comfort. But this is different to every one cuss of body types. You can read on this site plenty about sits and Corvin, Rick Myers etc are excellent but pricy. Try yours first and if the soft sit is not for you then make the change that has helped plenty of folks here. Congratulations on your new bike

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #14 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:50 pm

David, welcome to the world of "LT" ownership from across the river in Glastonbury. The spring warmup this weekend will be timed just right to get your first 600 miles on the bike. Enjoy your new ride. Barnett (P.S. I also own tie down straps for some of my west of the Mississippi trips)

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:04 pm

Smile

The first time I trailered my Lt I was apprehensive about the tie down on the fork. But I followed the procedure, which I received form the local BMW dealer, and it was easy to do and worked great.

I decided to go with a Corbin seat after a few rides on the stock seat. I have had my '99 LT a couple of years now.
post #16 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 6:32 am Thread Starter

Tie-Down

Thank you everyone for the valuable information. All of them spot on. And hello Glastonbury!!

Oh, I did learn late yesterday that there are three screws that hold down the front side bumper/crash guards (I don't know the official name) and when they are removed it provides another strong metal bar to grab onto. Again, a very low point of contact. Time will tell.

Thanks again everyone.
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 7:11 am

DO NOT!! use the tipover wings or as you said crash bars these are meant to fold up in the event of a drop or crash. If you use them to tie down the bike you will damage them and possibly break the frame tabs.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #18 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfindley
Oh, I did learn late yesterday that there are three screws that hold down the front side bumper/crash guards (I don't know the official name) and when they are removed it provides another strong metal bar to grab onto. Again, a very low point of contact. Time will tell.
Hi David, DON'T use these bars as an attachment point - if the tabs on the frame where these are attached break, they cannot be repaired, and you'll need a new frame from Tony (Deputy5211)

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #19 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
DO NOT!! use the tipover wings or as you said crash bars these are meant to fold up in the event of a drop or crash. If you use them to tie down the bike you will damage them and possibly break the frame tabs.
Great minds !!!!

I never trailer my bike, but often use ferries. I use the methods suggested Here, keep the bike n the sidestand, and additionally use a strap from the side stand to the front wheel, to stop the sidestand folding up in rough seas.

• MB SLK 350 MT

Last edited by Woolly; Jan 5th, 2008 at 7:20 am.
post #20 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 8:00 am

Since I attend rallies as a vendor I trailer my 05 all over the place and use it for my transportation once I get to a site. At least 40K so far and not one problem . As mentioned earlier I use the soft ties on the fork and soft ties on the rear bars below saddle bags. I pull the fronts (un-sprung weight) very tight with a fairly large ratchet tie down. The rears since its part of the sprung weight I just get very snug......not really tight.
I would highly discourage using the side stand. Your bike needs to move a little using the suspension when trailering. That's what will keep it tight against the wheel chock.
The best way to tie down any motorcycle or car is to tie it down using the unsprung part of the suspension so the body can still move when hitting bumps but the wheels remain locked in.
I can't figure how to do that to the rear of the Lt, that's why I don't pull the rear straps real tight.
post #21 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
I would highly discourage using the side stand.
Side stand usage advocated for ferries, not whilst trailering

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #22 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Continuing the aftermarket seat discussion, if after you ride the stock seat for a while and are still not comfortable there are several options that you can do a search on custom seats here and most likely get more information than you ever wished for! Bill or Ron Mayer, Corbin, Russell and More.. That said. If you are a bigger guy it seems the best solution may be the Russell Day-Long with the "spring wings", and the others offer different solutions to comfort that you may find right for you. You can also consider a bead rider, jel cover, or air cover as an upgrade to the stock seat that may give you just the right fit, or a change now and again for that longer ride. In any case have fun, get comfortable and you will love the ride!!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #23 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:35 pm
KIC

Arrow One of our own...

you'll find that one of our own here on the forum does aftermarket custom seats:

http://www.kontourseat.com/

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in