Low seat conversion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 1:59 am Thread Starter

Smile Low seat conversion

New site looks good but will take a bit of getting used to. Congrats to all the volunteers who invest so much of their time and effort into a premier site.

I am after a low seat conversion for my '99LT and was wondering if any members had one for sale. Don't want to pay for a new one as I don't know how comfortable it will be. Since I have ducks disease, it would assist in getting a foot on the ground, but don't know if I want to sacrifice the comfort on long trips.

Has anyone gone for the conversions with positive results? Am worried about sore bum syndrome on long rides due to less padding in the seat.

Regards from Oz

Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:49 pm

Question

Colin,
Whats involved in fitting the low seat, and if one was to purchase a new one, where would one obtain one from?

Thanks
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:05 pm

Post Low seat woes

I used a Rick Mayer seat that he built for me while I waited at his house near Redding, Ca. Works great. I do seven hundred mile days with no pain, plus, i don't have to do the duck waddle when I come to a light.

I don't remember his address, but he's on the net. Not cheap, yes good.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Smile

A low seat conversion can be obtained from BMW. It is a re-designed pan with less padding, hence why I am after a cheap one to try as it may not be suitable for long distance touring. From what I can glean it requires removing the lugs fom the frame and cutting out some of the tupperware to allow the low seat to fit.

Hope this helps.

Colin Sweeny
Australia
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:43 pm

I use a BMW lower seat on my '03 LTC. I actually purchased it to replace the regular seat and resold the regular seat to another LT Owner. After putting about 12,000 miles on it, here is my feedback:

1) It brings the height down almost 2 inches and narrows the seat as well

2) There is definately less padding and you will notice a difference

3) On longer trips, I do not find it particularly uncomfortable, but I stop usually every 100 - 150 miles for a break anyway.

4) It is not as comfortable as other seats on bikes that I have owned but is also not the least comfortable seat either.

5) I find that the lower seating position is quite helpful with my 30" inseam.

6) The lower seat will bring you closer to the driver pegs as well. So, that will also change your riding position and put more stress on your legs and knees. I found the Suburban peg relocation kit mandatory. That lowers the pegs and decreases maximum lean angle before scraaappppeeeee...

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in