Getting the 99 K1200 LTC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Getting the 99 K1200 LTC

Kind folks,

I made the decision and I'm buying the 99 K1200LTC I had been asking questions about elsewhere. Plans are to pick it up Saturday. As of tonight, I already have insurance for it!

I will probably ask a zillion newbie questions here so please bear with me. Here's a photo of it (if I figured how to do it correctly!).

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Im001801-small.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	15884  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:06 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsd-tourteam
Kind folks,

I made the decision and I'm buying the 99 K1200LTC I had been asking questions about elsewhere. Plans are to pick it up Saturday. As of tonight, I already have insurance for it!

I will probably ask a zillion newbie questions here so please bear with me. Here's a photo of it (if I figured how to do it correctly!).

Jon
Nice color.

Interesting pin stripes...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Nice color.

Interesting pin stripes...
You don't like 'em!

This is the first bike I purchased that has owner-added pin striping, etc. Also, my first BMW bike. So I've been really working "outside of the box" here.

post #4 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:16 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
You don't like 'em!
Didn't say that

I'm not a fan of pin stripes but those are the best ones I've seen on an LT (there have been some BAD ones)

They do work well with the Basalt Grey paint...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:48 pm

I think you have made a good choice...and you chose the best (and fastest) color!! Ask lots of questions, the folks on this site are a wealth of information for virtually anything you may wish to do to your ride. There are many great ergonomic farkles, performance modifications/upgrades, communications/navigation products, etc. available for all model years of this great bike. The technical expertise and troubleshooting wisdom of many of the members is astounding; they will save you thousands of dollars and much aggravation with advice and guidance based on their own personal experiences and those of others.

Welcome to the asylum!
post #6 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:53 pm

That's a great bike

I think it is a very good looking bike and...
the early models 99-00 are great bikes.
I wouldn't trade my 2000 for a newer version. This bike has the right stuff.
Congrats. You're gonna love it.
post #7 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:54 pm

Welcome to the family. Remember a few things:
1. Hands off the front brake when making slow speed (parking lot speed) turns.
2. Head up and look straight ahead when coming to a stop.
3. Use the side stand to shut her off, push her forward until you feel her stop (in first gear with the clutch out) and always leave her in first gear. If you don't she will get lazy and take a nap on you (fall over).

Best of luck and ride safely, you're gonna love her.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #8 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:08 pm

Just to reiderate

Welcome aboard.
I think I like the pin stripes

She is a great ride just read below one more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
Welcome to the family. Remember a few things:
1. Hands off the front brake when making slow speed (parking lot speed) turns.
2. Head up and look straight ahead when coming to a stop.
3. Use the side stand to shut her off, push her forward until you feel her stop (in first gear with the clutch out) and always leave her in first gear. If you don't she will get lazy and take a nap on you (fall over).

Best of luck and ride safely, you're gonna love her.

Ray

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #9 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:19 pm

Nice looking bike. I hope it gives you many great miles.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #10 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Nice looking bike. I hope it gives you many great miles.
Hey Neil, you should have said "I hope it gives you many great Smiles."

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Hey Neil, you should have said "I hope it gives you many great Smiles."
more miles = even more smiles

As for the paint job, you are going to have to sit at gas stations forever talking to everyone about the bike, paint job, and how much they want one. On the way back from NC, someone talked to me for half an hour about nothing. I'm about ready to paint mine all black so it won't show stone chips and people stop talking to me. I like telling them about the bike, but I don't want to sit around and talk bikes when I could be riding.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #12 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I am excited!!!!

And thanks for the three things to keep in mind. I want to prolong the LT from any napping!

BTW - I know I will need to replace the windshield. I am about 6' and my SO is not short. If anyone can suggest particular departures (or not) from standatd windshield height and shape, it would be welcomed.

Jon
post #13 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:14 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations on your new bike

Hope you enjoy it!

I have learned to love my first BMW and that is for sure.

Heed the words of wisdom from above post as they are "word up", and will keep the shiny side up on a LT

You will join the club, sooner, then later

Be safe and enjoy.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Thanks to all. I am excited!!!!

And thanks for the three things to keep in mind. I want to prolong the LT from any napping!

BTW - I know I will need to replace the windshield. I am about 6' and my SO is not short. If anyone can suggest particular departures (or not) from standatd windshield height and shape, it would be welcomed.

Jon
JOn,
Before you spend a bunch of $$ on a new W/S take a look @ the "Laminar LIp" http://www.laminarlip.com/k1200lt.php . It maybe an inexpensive solution. I've been using one for years on my '99 with 145k on the clock & find it works well for me. Some don't care for the look on them, but then I'm not into the bike being a show piece, just functional.
Chris
post #15 of 41 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:02 pm
KIC

Jon,
Great looking bike ! Welcome to the LT Cult...uhh I mean family. Below is a link to a web site for one type of windshields. I am seriously looking at one of these for my 2000LTC.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/

Here's a suggestion:

Get a 3-ring binder
3 ring hole puncher
several reams of paper

Then be prepared to printout a zillion pieces of paper with all sorts of technical advice and pictures taken during repairs/modifications/suggestions. You will build a repair manual second to none. Just cut/copy and paste into a Word document, saved it to a file and print it out.

I have a bunch already saved in Word, if you want me to email them to you.

So remember...when you leave it on the side stand and it smokes when you start it up you have several choices to explain why it smokes:

1) Your part of the mosquito abatement program
2) Your practicing for the next James Bond movie
3) It's a diesel !

And remember:

It's heavy, heavy and ..oh yea did I tell you it's heavy?

Search the archives and/or U-tube for the video(s) of how to pick it up by yourself.

Good Luck! Have fun ! Ride safe!

P.S. Were you able to talk them down on the price?
Attached Images

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #16 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:28 am

Great looking bike. I know you'll love it!!! dwillie.
post #17 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 3:54 am

How much ???
post #18 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:19 am

Save your pennies

Now you need a chip and exhaust. Best aftermarket idtems I every bought for my 99 LT.

Santa got me clear turn signal lens (front) and I shear makes the bike look newer.

Enjoy the 99, it has bought me many miles/smiles.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #19 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:44 am

One other thing you'll need to know right away. Don't overfill the fuel tank! When I first got my bike I didn't think there could be a way to screw this up and I was surprised after reading the forums here that it is possible.

If you over fill the tank you can clog the fuel canister/vent on the tank and possibly collapse the tank as you empty it by riding. If you look into the fuel filler you will see a "neck". Only fill to the bottom of the neck.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #20 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys.... and thanks for some ideas on windshields. True that OEM W/S are polycarbonate and most aftermarket are not? Either last longer? These are on the $$$ side (much more than the one on my ST!!). I don't want to make a mistake here. I guess the #1 thing I want in a shield is that it will create the most wind/noise protection for 2-up riding at highway speeds. After that, I guess moving the shield down for in-town and 1-up (??).

I see some like a short W/S (like many inches) - guess so their head is above the turbulant zone? I would think I would want same height as OEM? I do remember that I can easily see over it when I lower it. Are any W/S really "clear" enough to look through them as you ride?

Chip - what, where, how much???

I saw someone (here) putting on a titanium muffler on a farkled-out LT. Looked pretty sweet. Does it give better MPG? Sound better? Just a simple slip-on?

Clear turn signal lens... that sounds (er, looks) rather sweet!

And KIC - I would very much like those docs you are willing to send me. The binder idea is smart.

My thinking is that what I do to the bike, it's to make it a better grand tourer - better MPG, better comfort 2-up, better tire mileage, safer (more visibility for both others and for me), etc.

Jon
post #21 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
One other thing you'll need to know right away. Don't overfill the fuel tank! When I first got my bike I didn't think there could be a way to screw this up and I was surprised after reading the forums here that it is possible.

If you over fill the tank you can clog the fuel canister/vent on the tank and possibly collapse the tank as you empty it by riding. If you look into the fuel filler you will see a "neck". Only fill to the bottom of the neck.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Yikes! Thanks for that tip Kevin. I can see me making that "innocent" mistake and crushing the tank! Wow. I would never have thought of that.
post #22 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 8:02 am

Looks nice. Can't tell the difference in that and my 03. And I like the graphics, FWIW. I would like to add something to mine someday. Don't want to go too far with it though.

Enjoy your ride.
Randy
post #23 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 8:16 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have a brand new Tall from mine if you would like a new windshield for a reasonably price. I would think it would work.

Depending I will also have a Cee Baily -6 that is all but new. I need to get my -6 Ice Blue on Euro cut and be sure I like it as well as the Clear I am running. I never look through a shield as I can not stand it, unless it is pouring down rain and even then it is one more layer after the face shield to look through.

Also not to be too nosy but what did you give for it?

Also did you get to see the welded area?

Quote:
Thanks guys.... and thanks for some ideas on windshields. True that OEM W/S are polycarbonate and most aftermarket are not? Either last longer? These are on the $$$ side (much more than the one on my ST!!). I don't want to make a mistake here. I guess the #1 thing I want in a shield is that it will create the most wind/noise protection for 2-up riding at highway speeds. After that, I guess moving the shield down for in-town and 1-up (??).

I see some like a short W/S (like many inches) - guess so their head is above the turbulant zone? I would think I would want same height as OEM? I do remember that I can easily see over it when I lower it. Are any W/S really "clear" enough to look through them as you ride?

Chip - what, where, how much???

I saw someone (here) putting on a titanium muffler on a farkled-out LT. Looked pretty sweet. Does it give better MPG? Sound better? Just a simple slip-on?

Clear turn signal lens... that sounds (er, looks) rather sweet!

And KIC - I would very much like those docs you are willing to send me. The binder idea is smart.

My thinking is that what I do to the bike, it's to make it a better grand tourer - better MPG, better comfort 2-up, better tire mileage, safer (more visibility for both others and for me), etc.

Jon

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #24 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 8:38 am

Jon

I don't know that adding a chip and an aftermarket exhaust will gain you much in the MPG department. But that's been discussed here before and I don't want to start another thread on that.

But when you notice the MPG start to drop off, and you will over time, open the riders seat and pull the bottom fuse on the right hand fuse box as you sit on the bike. Leave it out for an hour or so. Put it back in, turn the bike on but don't start the engine and run the throttle from full closed to full open twice, turn the bike off. Then turn the bike on and start the engine and let it idle until the engine smooths out. This is call resetting the Throttle Position Sensor, TPS. The motronic will then relearn your riding habits and you should see your gas mileage go up depending on how hard you ride the bike. This reset is only good for the LTs from 1999 to 2004

The LT loves to be run in the 4000 RPM and up range. Don't be afraid to ride it there. In other words don't lug the bike in the 2000 to 3000 RPM range.

If you're looking for tire mileage then you only have one set of tires to look at and that is the Metzeler ME880s. Make sure that they are properly inflated and that doesn't mean what's in the manual because the pressure listed there is too low. The Hall of Wisdoms 42 for the front and 48 for the rear.

Windshields are a different. I think there are 4 aftermarket suppliers, ZTechnik, CeeBaileys, AeroFlow and Parabellum. The Ztechnik and I believe the AeroFlow only come in one size for the LT, while the CeeBaileys and Parabellum can be customized in height and other features. I don't ever like to ride solo looking through the windscreen, so I run the windshield up enough to take the buffeting off my helpmet but to let me look over the top edge. The only time I have had to ride looking through the windshield is with my wife on the back to take the buffeting off of her helmet.

I know that you have a ton of questions and we're here to answer, but you'll find a lot of your answers in the Hall of Wisdom or using the site's search feature. If you can't find it there then just ask away.

Welcome to the LT family.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #25 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Drop on by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I have a brand new Tall from mine if you would like a new windshield for a reasonably price. I would think it would work.

Depending I will also have a Cee Baily -6 that is all but new. I need to get my -6 Ice Blue on Euro cut and be sure I like it as well as the Clear I am running. I never look through a shield as I can not stand it, unless it is pouring down rain and even then it is one more layer after the face shield to look through.

Also not to be too nosy but what did you give for it?

Also did you get to see the welded area?
Lee,

I'm picking the bike up this Saturday, so if you are free this weekend (Sunday?), I can ride over to Harrisburg and show you the bike and I can see the W/S (s) you may have available. Supposed to be about 50 for a high.

Jon
post #26 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks for the warm welcome. All the folks here DEFINITELY were a key factor in my decision to consider BMW and pursue getting the LT.

That is a great solution to reset the computer-TPS when MPG falls! And to "use the RPM" capabilities of the engine makes sense too. What grade of fuel does this take?

The bike has new Metzelers - but I forgot to look at which model they are.

My wife will most likely want to have smooth airflow too. Sounds like I either need a non-cut windshield (or a higher one) that is CLEAR, or maybe there is a style that has curves or a lip that sends the turbulant air over her (and my) head?

Hall of Wisdom - sounds like a great place to park myself for awhile! Thanks for that link.

Jon
post #27 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:58 am

Quote:
Steve,

Thanks for the warm welcome. All the folks here DEFINITELY were a key factor in my decision to consider BMW and pursue getting the LT.

That is a great solution to reset the computer-TPS when MPG falls! And to "use the RPM" capabilities of the engine makes sense too. What grade of fuel does this take?

The bike has new Metzelers - but I forgot to look at which model they are.

My wife will most likely want to have smooth airflow too. Sounds like I either need a non-cut windshield (or a higher one) that is CLEAR, or maybe there is a style that has curves or a lip that sends the turbulant air over her (and my) head?

Hall of Wisdom - sounds like a great place to park myself for awhile! Thanks for that link.

Jon
She likes PREMIUM fuel. Some on threads here have sworn by low or mid-grade, but not for me.

I love my Metzeler 880's. They have changed up the compound a bit to make them a tad stickier (so I've heard). Long life to you, the bike, and the tires!

You'll love this forum.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #28 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:18 am

I agree that she likes the higher octane. But I had no problem running old Red Rover on regular grade. If she started pinging during the summer, I'd go to premium. Don't know what I'll do on the new bike until I've ridden it some.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #29 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:02 pm

getting the 99 k1200 ltc

hi guys im new to the community so go easy on me
i have a 99 lt & high octane is a must
has any of u had a lot of smoke coming out of exhaust on firing up
after being stood for a few days, i changed to high octane & it stopped
it was embarressing people walking past musta thought engine was shot
& as u will like me have found out side stand is poor feels as though it wants extending or something?
but i really love my scoot apart from the above niggles
rob
lake district, england
post #30 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:43 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure about Saturday as I am going down to Delaware to get my Cycle Pro XT floor lift. No worries though it is boxed and safe. It is the Tall Shield BMW charges extra for. If not Saturday maybe Sunday. Either way, it will not go anywhere until you have a chance to look at it.

Quote:
Lee,

I'm picking the bike up this Saturday, so if you are free this weekend (Sunday?), I can ride over to Harrisburg and show you the bike and I can see the W/S (s) you may have available. Supposed to be about 50 for a high.

Jon

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #31 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:05 pm

Now for my 2 cents worth Parabellum shield is the only way to go. Will pay for itself in fuel savings. Link is http://www.parabellum.com and from their site, I quote
Shape Study
The factory BMW windshield starts off round at the fairing but quickly flattens out at the top creating a lot of turbulence and buffeting. It's so wide that you don't feel it, but the aerodynamic wake behind the bike is large and so is the air drag. The Parabellum K1200LT replacement windshield has a much rounder shape at the middle and top allowing the air to slip around the sides cleanly, allowing better fuel economy and less air drag.

Optical Clarity
Unlike the factory BMW shield, all Parabellum windshields are fabricated from optically clear cast sheet (Lucite L), as opposed to more common cheaper extruded sheet. (Military aircraft specs are the cast sheet).

And then forget the chip go to the Black Hole page Link is http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhol...0exhausts.html Read the whole page. Exhaust, and fuel rail with new injectors. Great sound plus more fuel savings.
I don't work for either business, I just enjoy their products.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #32 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
Jon,
Here's a suggestion:

Get a 3-ring binder
3 ring hole puncher
several reams of paper

Then be prepared to printout a zillion pieces of paper with all sorts of technical advice and pictures taken during repairs/modifications/suggestions. You will build a repair manual second to none. Just cut/copy and paste into a Word document, saved it to a file and print it out.

I have a bunch already saved in Word, if you want me to email them to you.
Great advice. I started doing this, mostly saved to my hard drive. Hey KIC, could I take you up on the offer of emailing those word files? Could be a huge time saver.

Jon, you'll love this forum. Great advice from some great people. I started on here while I was considering buying an LT last summer. Picked up my '02 in September and I love it. That's a pretty bike, love the color.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #33 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlakesbikers
hi guys im new to the community so go easy on me
i have a 99 lt & high octane is a must
has any of u had a lot of smoke coming out of exhaust on firing up
after being stood for a few days, i changed to high octane & it stopped
it was embarressing people walking past musta thought engine was shot
& as u will like me have found out side stand is poor feels as though it wants extending or something?
but i really love my scoot apart from the above niggles
rob
lake district, england

Hi Robert,

The smoke is a very common concern. There is nothing wrong with your bike and the smoke doesn't have anything to do with the octane of the fuel. If you want to eliminate the smoke just hold the bike upright for 20-30 seconds after you shut it off. You can then use the side stand without getting any smoke when you restart the bike.

I park on the side stand usually and I never wait for the oil to drain back into the sump prior to leaning the bike on the stand. My bike will smoke once in a while but usually not.

Also, make sure you have the engine in 1st gear and roll the bike forward against the compression prior to putting the bike on the side stand. If you don't the bike can roll forward slightly and the side stand will fold up and your bike will fall.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #34 of 41 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlakesbikers
There is a grease indent (I don't know what the technical term is but it is an "innie" as opposed to an "outie" grease fitting) and greasing the side stand makes all the difference in the feel. You need something like this to grease it with. Speedplay Grease Gun http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=5&minor=2
or Manitou Prep M Grease Gun
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/113...Grease-Gun.htm

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #35 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Ccr2008

Don't forget to add CCR 2008 to you plans for the year. This year was my first and the people and venue were excellent. I'm already booked for next year and can't wait to see old faces and new. See you at Midland Utah

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #36 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Getting the 99

Great looking bike! Nice color too. You'll love it!
After 32 years of riding other brands I finally bought my LT last year and instantly started wondering why I had waited so long.
post #37 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

It's home!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_M
Great looking bike! Nice color too. You'll love it!
After 32 years of riding other brands I finally bought my LT last year and instantly started wondering why I had waited so long.
Thanks! It's HOME!!!!!! I picked it up late this morning - about 38 degrees out. There was snow and ice on the grass and in some gas stations but the roads were essentially clear and dry. Dealer put gas into so that I did not need to stop.

Plugged in my heated jacket liner and gloves and road the Interstate 110 miles back to home with my wife following. Temp got up to a balmy 43 when I drove down my street. The heated seat and grips are great!

From warnings about slow riding and braking, I made it without incident. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE INSIGHT!

Spent some time looking it over, doing a little cleaning, exploring, etc. Founf out (by trial and error) how to operate most of the radio, tape cassette, and CD changer system. The Rider Suppl. Manual was not included. :-( However, the Riders Manual and the Service and tech Manual (both rather tiny little things) were included.

Everything appears to work. I LOVE the cruise control. It's a real one! Not a throttle lock.

Tomorrow will be solo #2 (well, #3 if you count the test ride last week).

Hope that she gets along with her existing stable mate, my ST1100 (another great bike). I plan on keeping them both (for now).

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052

Last edited by jdsd-tourteam; Jan 5th, 2008 at 9:57 pm.
post #38 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Garage
Quote:
...Found out (by trial and error) how to operate most of the radio, tape cassette, and CD changer system. The Rider Suppl. Manual was not included. :-( However, the Riders Manual and the Service and tech Manual (both rather tiny little things) were included.
Have a look and see how well you guessed on the radio.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...76&postcount=4
post #39 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
Have a look and see how well you guessed on the radio.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...76&postcount=4
Wow!!! Super!!! Thank you! Looking quickly at the manual, I may have figured out about 50%.

Does this baby have weather on the radio????

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #40 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Yes, toggle between AM and Wx, by hitting the AM button. Enjoy your new ride.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #41 of 41 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 5:57 am

Hi Jon and welcome..

Don't forget to check your tire pressure religiously before you ride .. 42 front and 48 rear. Those metz tires will last when properly maintained. Also, check what type of battery you have. Many of us here use a battery tender. If you have the BMW gel battery, you will need a different tender then the gm or acid battery require.

With regard to fuel, this K engine is a high compression engine and REQUIRES premium fuel. It may seem to run ok on less, but I have already been this route and it ain't worth it...

With regard to windshields, you may want to check out the Cee Bailey #2. If you are less then 6' tall the -2 is probably right. It has a lip that turns up and helps alot with turbulance. They also offer it in a "wings" configuration which helps with wind on the side as well. I am going on my second and it is far superior to the stock shield.

I think the combination of an ST1300 and a K1200LT is just great !!!

Enjoy your new ride and ride safe!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in