Fuel filter change question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Fuel filter change question

This past weekend I did a major service on a 99 LT which included changing the fuel filter. After everything was back together i started it up and it ran for maybe 10 seconds or so then cut out. I tried several more times cranking maybe 4-6 each time, let it rest a minute then cracked again. All lights were on and every else appeared normal. On the 3 rd or 4th try she fired up and ran smooth. I am wondering if having replaced the fuel filter it took the pump a while to fill it so that when it first started it was running off gas in the lines on the far side of filter, then there would have been an air gap until the filter filled up and fuel starting flowing thru the lines to the engine again?

Anyone else had this happen to them?

Anything that could have caused this?

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rocketman
I am wondering if having replaced the fuel filter it took the pump a while to fill it so that when it first started it was running off gas in the lines on the far side of filter, then there would have been an air gap until the filter filled up and fuel starting flowing thru the lines to the engine again?

RM
You hit it right on the nose. This is common on vehicle with fuel injection. Normally I will just turn the key to on for a couple of seconds then off for a few seconds. Repeat several times and listen for the fuel pump noise to change as the pressure increases. You have to also push all the air through fuel lines and past the fuel pressure regulator and injectors. I think I remember it taking 5 cycles before the pump sound changed when I replaced the filters on the k bikes at my place.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:14 pm

Same thing happend to me

I had to turn the ignition on to prime the pump/filter about 3 times before It cranked over.h

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in