Improvements from Octane Boost - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Improvements from Octane Boost

I've been putting octane boost in with every tank for a few weeks now, and just wanted to report the increase in smooth running operation, drastically reduced knock at low RPM (to the point I would nearly call it non-existent), and much better response when hitting the throttle after deceleration down to about 2-3k RPM.

I found you need to use Octane Boosters that use MMT(methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl). I personally like "The Outlaw" because it comes in four 3.5 oz bottles, and I use half of one bottle for each tank. The instructions say I could use less since one bottle can supposedly do 20 gallons, but I'm not convinced because I notice at the end of the tank the bike doesn't run as good as when it's full.

I pay something like $11-$12 for four 3.5 oz bottles, so that translates to about $1.50/tank. I stock-up at Auto Zone and carry a few bottles with me at all times.

I'm not looking for a debate about this subject, but I figure there might be a few who haven't thought about octane boosters, or have tried them and didn't use MMT's and found them less than inspiring for the added cost.

Take care! Happy new YEAR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 4:20 pm

What octane is normal in the US?
In the UK we have 95, 97 and now 99 if you want to pay it

Mainland Europe starts at 93 which I avoided as I noticed the bike didnt feel right

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 5:35 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
What octane is normal in the US?
In the UK we have 95, 97 and now 99 if you want to pay it

Mainland Europe starts at 93 which I avoided as I noticed the bike didnt feel right
I think you guys figure octane ratings different then we do.

The best I can get at a pump is 93 Sunoco. With the damn dreaded Ethanol warning.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 4:51 am

Sure is right;
FYI
"In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON)."

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in