Magnets to activate traffic signals? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Magnets to activate traffic signals?

Where do you get these devices, how much do they cost and where do you put them, on the bike? How close to the device in the road do you need to be to it, to be effective? Does a magnet adversely affect any function on the LT?

This was questioned in the basic MC course, the only answer at that time, by a student, was to rev the engine to try and activate the signal.

I have come across two, left turn only, signals that would not activate, and ran the lights when it was safe to do so, after waiting two complete traffic cycles....which was a long time with ten lanes of traffic.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Magnets & stopping

Buy the biggest magnets you can buy (Lowes-Home Depot) and strap to the bottom of the bike. The "Green Lite" and commercially sold ones are too small and don't work.
Stop on top of the lines (usually 3 parallel lines wires sunken in street) if you are the 1st one up.
I also move far forward so a cage will be on top of the 3 lines.
OR RUN the light "SAFELY" if it won't trip!
post #3 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Whenever I run into the problem in my local area I send an email to the county DOT. They will send someone out to adjust the sensors. The sensors usually work for me on my LT except if there has been some additional paving done after the sense loops were already installed.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...

post #4 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Find a local geek - see if they've got any old hard drives. Pull the magnets out of a couple old drives and let them stick to the center stand frame or rock shield.

Still some discussion as to weather they do more than make you feel good - but I've got about a half dozen on my LT and the lights turn for me now.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Gold Supporter

First look at the loops in the pavement. If the loops are rectangular than a magnet will not work. If they are square, oval, or circular than a large magnet will work. Try to drive directly over the loop line and stop on the corner of the loop closest to the intersection on the side closest to the traffic light box (large galvanized box somewhere near the intersection). The magnetic field is strongest at this spot. If that doesn't work, call your state or what ever agency controls the lights and let them know. The number can usually be found on the traffic light box, or you can call your local law enforcement non-emergency number and ask them for the agency and number.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:17 pm

Just run it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
I've got about a half dozen on my LT and the lights turn for me now.
And thanks from the rest of us for cleaning up the metal debris from the roadway!

Rick
'01 LT
post #8 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:45 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I have come across two, left turn only, signals that would not activate, and ran the lights when it was safe to do so, after waiting two complete traffic cycles....which was a long time with ten lanes of traffic.

Thanks!
Wayne,

I posted the information in the post below several years ago. The procedure works for me , but results can vary by region , as "loop" technology may be different. Give it a try I think you will like.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...o=&fpart=&vc=1
post #9 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-L
And thanks from the rest of us for cleaning up the metal debris from the roadway!
They do that on the flight lines and airfiles where I used to work. But ya know - in the 3 years of ride'n with these things on my LT, I've yet to pick up anything.

Maybe it's all those wide tires the bling bikers are using these days.

Tate

post #10 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:56 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Where do you get these devices, how much do they cost and where do you put them, on the bike? How close to the device in the road do you need to be to it, to be effective? Does a magnet adversely affect any function on the LT?

This was questioned in the basic MC course, the only answer at that time, by a student, was to rev the engine to try and activate the signal.

Thanks!
If you just want to buy one and be done with it, I've used this one with good success

CLiCKY CLICKY

Attaches to the center stand with the provided sticky tape and zip tie...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 9:49 am

I agree with you guys... Where I live was once a "small town". After meeting the guys who maintained the traffic signals in the "city limits", we became friends. I now only need call the office, leave a voicemail that an intersection is malfunctioning and they will resolve it. When asked, I also use my motorcycle in the "setting" process.

That is very helpful.

When we first met I got the "chapter and verse" that "It works for cars." The discussion got on to the topic of "licensed vehicles" and, since my motorcycle fit the description, they agreed the technology should function properly.

This required a 'rewire' of the street... not complicated, but it does cost some $.

Another problem was they were directed by "management" to run the systems on "lower" power to extend the life of the sensor.. (of course, after re-wire, they now run it on MEDIUM anyway..)

The final discussion point, all just very low key, was to say to them... "Ok, so, if a light totally malfunctions, what is the the law?" They said, "The law allows you to proceed when it is safe to do so." I replied, "Great.. please, remember this discussion because when the malfunction of this light forces me to follow the letter of that law, I will explain our discussion with the judge and that I am following your direction."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:09 am

One thing I've found to help (on smaller bikes--I've been lucky with the LT) is to put the sidestand down at or near the loop. This little extra bit of metal right at the street seems to help. I always try to stop right on the loop (not in the center of the box) so it's not hard to do this.

Of course it means I have to take the bike out of gear, but if I've been sitting there waiting long enough it's usually because there's not a car behind me as they would have tripped the loop for me.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #13 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 11:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Intersection Camera

This might start a flurry of unintended emails. The local PD said that the DOT is putting in cameras to try to get around the tripping problem on the lights. These cameras don't take a picture, just activate the lights when they sense a change in their field of view. Any members of the constabulary want to chime in on that one?
post #14 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle
This might start a flurry of unintended emails. The local PD said that the DOT is putting in cameras to try to get around the tripping problem on the lights. These cameras don't take a picture, just activate the lights when they sense a change in their field of view. Any members of the constabulary want to chime in on that one?
The cameras may be ok for left turn lanes, but I have one spot where the camera does not pick up a motorcycle. It is a exit ramp off of a interstate highway that has a wide "single" lane in which cars can be side by side to go either right or left. If I am the only one sitting there and am on the left side, I am out of luck.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #15 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 8:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
The cameras may be ok for left turn lanes, but I have one spot where the camera does not pick up a motorcycle. It is a exit ramp off of a interstate highway that has a wide "single" lane in which cars can be side by side to go either right or left. If I am the only one sitting there and am on the left side, I am out of luck.
I guess that is when you take your magnet and throw it at the camera?

We have been getting more camera actvated lights in our city but so far they all "see" me.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle
The cameras are becoming more and more prevalent in Texas. They are looking for "enough" of a change in the pixels to determine a vehicle is waiting to use the intersection. As pointed out by a subsequent post, the helpfulness of the camera depends a lot on how large of an area it must survey and the size of the detection "target."

As for the advice our Deacon received about running the light in Texas, I am unaware of any entry in the Texas Transportation Code that grants the authority to enter an intersection while facing a red traffic control device to a private motor vehicle. Some states permit entry by motorcycles under specific conditions, but Texas is not one of those. Perhaps the state legislature has bestowed special authority upon that streets department employee to issue special clearance at will.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #17 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 11:37 pm

I ducktaped car audio speaker magnets to the soles of my boots. Trips traffis lights every time. Looks neat too.
post #18 of 32 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 11:43 pm

I do have a few magnets on the LT and they seem to work. Of course, the newer the intersection/traffic signal system is the better they work, of course. A couple of things to remember, in a car or motorcycle: First, always stay behind the white line. If you go even a little beyond it or straddle it the sensor thinks you already left so it won't activate the signal. Better a bit behind the line. Secondly, take a look at the intersection and what would be "normal" traffic. Is it heavy? If so, the sensors may be programmed for a "3 car loop", meaning a few cars have to be in that lane before the turn signal will activate. If you're alone in that lane, again, stay back a ways so the sensor knows you're there. It's frustrating sometimes but if you keep in mind how the sensors work it will make it more tolerable.
post #19 of 32 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 2:33 am

I use a very similar 'change detection' tech to run the video surveillance system in my office. Works very well for me!

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

Tate

post #20 of 32 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 2:06 pm

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
As for the advice our Deacon received about running the light in Texas, I am unaware of any entry in the Texas Transportation Code that grants the authority to enter an intersection while facing a red traffic control device to a private motor vehicle. Some states permit entry by motorcycles under specific conditions, but Texas is not one of those. Perhaps the state legislature has bestowed special authority upon that streets department employee to issue special clearance at will.
Then what do you do Go straight ahead from a turn lane when the lanes for going straight get the green? Were I live, Chicago burbs, people do that all the time just to get ahead of the pack.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #21 of 32 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 7:32 pm

How To

Here's an article that suggests the best way to position your bike over sensors to get the maximum coverage.

http://calcoastriders.com/loopMay07.pdf
post #22 of 32 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 4:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascaLT
A couple of things to remember, in a car or motorcycle: First, always stay behind the white line. If you go even a little beyond it or straddle it the sensor thinks you already left so it won't activate the signal. Better a bit behind the line.
So what do you do at all those junctions in the Boston area which have the loops partly beyond the stop line? Some I know of (at least one in Burlington) are wholly beyond the white stop line. That's Massachusetts drivers for you...

More and more lights in the UK are having dual systems fitted - road sensors operate from early morning until the end of the evening rush hour and then the PIR sensors on top of the lights take over. PIR is great for bikes, especially with a hot boxer engine cylinder sticking out on each side!
post #23 of 32 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:05 pm

Boston

Gee, in Boston I thought those little lines were just traffic counters as the cars all ran the red lights and aimed for the pedestrians!
post #24 of 32 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:24 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
But Tony, the Texas legislature did that years ago, when they worded the elements for enforcing the law for electronic traffic control divices. The electronic traffic device, in this case a traffic light, must be functioning properly and if it doesn't change for a motorcycle than it is not functioning properly. The law doesn't state they can proceed through the light, but does limit the enforcement of the law.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #25 of 32 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:46 pm

Haven't been to court...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
But Tony, the Texas legislature did that years ago, when they worded the elements for enforcing the law for electronic traffic control divices. The electronic traffic device, in this case a traffic light, must be functioning properly and if it doesn't change for a motorcycle than it is not functioning properly. The law doesn't state they can proceed through the light, but does limit the enforcement of the law.
Tony, I fully EXPECT to be ticketed for this activity. That is why I asked the guys to remember the conversation for when I call them as witnesses in traffic court.. =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #26 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:40 am

I understand it is a Federal DOT requirement (for state aid) that signal systems trip for even bicycles. That came from a maker of signal sensing systems.
post #27 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:50 pm

This issue caused me to attempt to elude a LEO as a youngin on my Yamaha 500......thought I was clean away after dirt ridin the heavy street bike-
then I over-shot a curb spun out in the grass and flooded my bike.The LEO was great even after finding my halloween costume in my top-case a sheriffs uniform and a pig rubber mask sorry to any of my LEO friends here.......but -I was a kid!!!!!!!

Mike
post #28 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 8:08 am

Hey on more serious note-

Tony or anyone know what the devices are at some lights that make my V-1 go nuts??? I only run into them in one community-Another form of traffic detection??

Mike
post #29 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
Hey on more serious note-

Tony or anyone know what the devices are at some lights that make my V-1 go nuts??? I only run into them in one community-Another form of traffic detection??

Mike
I don't have a V-1, butt do have two different detectors. They both will go nuts if I'm anywhere close to a Valero gas station, which are 'usually' on corner properties. I've been told it has sumpthin' to do with the pump electronics. Also, both will sound off when in front of my local Wal-Mart, and there, I've been told it's due to the automatic door openers. Prolly take somebody like Dave Moore (a local EE and RF guru) to set up equipment to verify this information.
post #30 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:29 pm
Gold Supporter

Dick,

Most of those are due to auto door openers, some alarm systems, and in some gas stations they have a motion sensor to detect when a car pulls into the pump (trying to fight drive offs). All of these will set off detectors. It helps to shut off the X band if you can, although a lot of the above have gone to K band now. The new Escourt 9500 has a GPS that will make a note of the false signal and prevent it the next time you go by, but it is still a weeeeee bit pricy.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #31 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Dick,

Most of those are due to auto door openers, some alarm systems, and in some gas stations they have a motion sensor to detect when a car pulls into the pump (trying to fight drive offs). All of these will set off detectors. It helps to shut off the X band if you can, although a lot of the above have gone to K band now. The new Escourt 9500 has a GPS that will make a note of the false signal and prevent it the next time you go by, but it is still a weeeeee bit pricy.
Thanks, Bud - figgered had to be sumpthin' like those items. BTW - both of my units are vintage - damn near classic!! The one in ole Blue Truck came with the truck in the overhead bin (ole Blue is an '89!!), and the portable one is even older. They both still work great, as far as I can tell. So there must still be some 'vintage' radar units out there!!
post #32 of 32 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Quote:
... The new Escourt 9500 has a GPS that will make a note of the false signal and prevent it the next time you go by, but it is still a weeeeee bit pricy.
So the plan will be to wait until there are lots of these on the market and then set up radar traps near the gas stations?

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in