Old BMW Navigation System - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Old BMW Navigation System

Hi

I bought a LT 2003 a couple of months ago and it has a GPS on it that seems to be an old system. It is a genuine BMW Navaigation system Mk 111 V4.5. I have the manual and a CD setup in the L/Hand Panier. The CD is of old maps of 2001 and require to know if this system is now obsolete?.

The unit is hooked into the Mute/Volume control buttons.

Question is do BMW have updated Maps of this system?

Regards

Graham

PS: Have tried to upload an image but for some reason the explorer keeps giving me errors

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Streetpliot 3

I would guess it is the Garmin streetpliot III. BMW just slaps their name on it. When I bought my 99 it had these GPS on it, but no loading disc. Helpful Garmin gave me the codes and updated maps free. If I were you I would call Garmin and tell them that you bought a BMW motorcycle with their GPS. They should get you up and running.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #3 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:24 pm

BMW Navigator Helpline

I was in a similar situation this summer but had gotten the manuals with the system. I called the helpline dedicated to BMW--866-455-7012--and found them utterly helpful.

post #4 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Old GPS

John

I don't think it is a Garmin Street Pilot. I have just had a look at the Street Pilot 3 on the web and it it is totally different.

Mine is just a screen with a toggle switch on the left hand side which states GPS (upper) and Audio (lower)

All functions are via the Mute/Volume on the left handlebar control.

As I cannot upoad the image is it possible that I send you the image and maybe you can upload??.

Graham

Graham W

Ulysses #26833
post #5 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:27 pm

PM sent

I sent you pm with my e-mail address. Send it to me and see which one it is.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #6 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Could not help.

Can not believe that I am helping someone with computer issures. But I got hold of the picture and have posted. I have not idea what kind of GPS this is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	15835  

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #7 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:46 pm

another picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Can not believe that I am helping someone with computer issures. But I got hold of the picture and have posted. I have not idea what kind of GPS this is.
This one should be a little bigger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GPS.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	15836  

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #8 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:54 pm

Garage
Hi Graham thats the same one as on the 2002 model, I dont have one but I have a mate with one he says its useless now and he is going to buy new unit. it dosent have colour, and only has city not many country roads to be honest I dont think I would spend any money on it but its up to you

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
Hi Graham thats the same one as on the 2002 model, I dont have one but I have a mate with one he says its useless now and he is going to buy new unit. it dosent have colour, and only has city not many country roads to be honest I dont think I would spend any money on it but its up to you

Linton

I was thinking the same that this is really obsolete, but a new GPS costs money. I may have to try and buy a second hand unit. What type would anyone suggest to purchase??

John

Thanks again for uploading the image for me. Have had computer issues since I installed the VIsta (Ultimate) System. Worst thing I ever did!!. Too many security issues and have had nothing but problems.

Graham

Graham W

Ulysses #26833

Last edited by kpwrig; Dec 30th, 2007 at 5:12 pm.
post #10 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 5:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hi Graham,

The unit you described is the Carin 520, and was offered by BMW as a factory option on Australian and European LTs. On my UK LT I added the VDO_Dayton MS5000 (Carin 522 equivalent) which is the same computer with a larger color display and a dedicated remote. I also moved this system to my US LT when I moved back to the States.

Read this thread and this thread for more info and pics, including links to get the updated mapping software. I'm not sure what maps are available now for Australia, but the links should get you started. You can also buy updated GPS operating software, though the manufacturer doesn't sell direct and I've had trouble finding a company that actually carries it, at least in the US.

Your unit has a smaller monochrome screen, and uses the radio buttons on the left handlebar to control it. There is a switch on the left of the smaller display that switches the buttons between GPS and Audio control. This uses a BMW-supplied wiring harness to splice in to the button wiring harness.

You can find a generic Carin wiring diagram here. It's pretty poor quality, but it does give a basic idea of how the whole system goes together. Note that the diagram also includes several optional parts that don't come with every system.

I still have the original manual that came with my GPS that I would be glad to scan and send you if you like. I was able to use this GPS all over the UK, Europe, and America as long as I had the correct map CD loaded.

As far as keeping it, your GPS should work just fine if you have updated map CDs. The one on my old LT still works, though I don't ride that bike much anymore. But then again it also has the larger screen with much more map detail, rather than just a simple arrow and text directions.

If you're looking for a complete replacement unit, there are several great options available now. I'm using a Lowrance iWay 500c which has a great screen, lots of detail, and is fully waterproof (Lowrance started as a marine company). It uses NavTeq maps, so I'm sure there are Australian maps available. Try a search on this site or in Google for Lowrance iWay and see what comes up.

You can also poke around our GPS forum for more info on bike suitable GPS units.

Feel free to ask any other questions that come up and we'll try to get you sorted out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 5:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I would guess it is the Garmin streetpliot III.
John, check Graham's location info. He's in Australia, where BMW offered a "factory" navigation system based on the Carin 520 GPS (along with Europe). The re-badged Garmin units were offered in the US, but the Carin units were not.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Garage
Hi all Graham I have used garmin 2610 for the last 4yrs, and I purchased a 2720 from ebay usa last week it cost me $350 inc shipping I will have to buy new maps, but they are waterproof, the new zumo 550 at $1300 is your only other waterproof option I think?

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #13 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Thought that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
John, check Graham's location info. He's in Australia, where BMW offered a "factory" navigation system based on the Carin 520 GPS (along with Europe). The re-badged Garmin units were offered in the US, but the Carin units were not.
I was thinking that way when I saw it. He got some great information about it as always here. Glad I was able to help. I am kind've proud of myself.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #14 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Hi Graham,

The unit you described is the Carin 520, and was offered by BMW as a factory option on Australian and European LTs. On my UK LT I added the VDO_Dayton MS5000 (Carin 522 equivalent) which is the same computer with a larger color display and a dedicated remote. I also moved this system to my US LT when I moved back to the States.

Thanks Ken for the detailed information.

I already have a manual for this GPS, just required updated maps as mine is from 2001.

I really don't like just the arrows and text either. but unfortately cannot afford to purchase a new GPS at the present moment. I will try and obtain updated maps from the supplier detailed in your reply. If that doesn't help I shall try and buy a second hand unit.

At least I now know what the GPS system is and what I have to do if I want to disconnect.

Regards

Graham

Graham W

Ulysses #26833
post #15 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Garage
graham you should be able to get them from bmw but they wont be free and remember you will need australian maps

[My setup]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC310027.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	15837  

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Dec 30th, 2007 at 7:02 pm.
post #16 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwrig
Hi

I bought a LT 2003 a couple of months ago and it has a GPS on it that seems to be an old system. It is a genuine BMW Navaigation system Mk 111 V4.5. I have the manual and a CD setup in the L/Hand Panier. The CD is of old maps of 2001 and require to know if this system is now obsolete?.

The unit is hooked into the Mute/Volume control buttons.

Question is do BMW have updated Maps of this system?

Regards

Graham

PS: Have tried to upload an image but for some reason the explorer keeps giving me errors
2003?
What you have there is a BMW badged "StreetPilotŪ ColorMap". (discontinued product)

buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=114&tab=colormap
post #17 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed
2003?
What you have there is a BMW badged "StreetPilotŪ ColorMap". (discontinued product)

buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=114&tab=colormap
Ed

If you look at the posts above, there is a photo of the item. Ken has issued on all the details re this unit.

Thanks for your input and thankyou for all other posts. They have been a big help especial John And Ken.

Regards

Graham

Last edited by kpwrig; Dec 30th, 2007 at 9:14 pm.
post #18 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Old GPS System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
graham you should be able to get them from bmw but they wont be free and remember you will need australian maps

[My setup]
Linton

I like your setup and the price. Is this the garmin 2720? and what support bracket did you mount it onto.

Regards

Graham
post #19 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:29 pm

Well Excuse Me. Just tryin' to help but you can bet your azz I won't bother you again.
post #20 of 21 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed
Well Excuse Me. Just tryin' to help but you can bet your azz I won't bother you again.
Ed

It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I really thankyou, and much appreciated the help and assistance from you and all

Cheers

Graham W

Ulysses #26833
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:16 pm

Garage
Graham
you are looking at my 2610 in the picky that no longer has any audio, don't use sound anyway, the 2720 is exacly the same looking unit but slightly different visual display, the shelf,, couldnt justify a BMR from USA it would have cost me $200 to have one shipped out so I made one myself all up $25.00 and my bloody trunk latch broke again on the weekend Oh well, start saving up again

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Jan 1st, 2008 at 11:24 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in