Garage motorcylce mat? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 4:19 pm Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Garage motorcylce mat?

I remodeled my garage and had an epoxy floor coating put down. It is awesome but I do not want to damage it with my kickstand. I am currently using a rubber backed piece of carpet. I would like to get a motorcycle mat. I have looked on-line and found some. Has anyone had any experience with these and would they hold up to the weight and kickstand of the LT.
Thanks

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 5:52 pm

Howdy G... I have one of those "entrance mats" used at businesses. Thin, dense synthetic rubber and salt/pepper carpet. So far, no damage beneath...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:31 pm

I have a rubber floor in the garage and things seem to smash it down and it takes afew days for it to spring back.......
For my RT I used a carbon fibre sidestand pad and I believe this will do a fine job of protecting your epooxy floor.........spreads the load.
Got it from Aerostitch, as I recall ...comes with a tether and "remove before flight" banner............works great on warm asphalt parking lots also....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:32 pm
Super Moderator

I have garage carpet laid in my garage. has a rubber backing and is very dense. I've replaced mine once and there were no signs fo damage from the center or side stands from either of my bikes. You can get it at Home Depot by the foot. It's 12 feet wide so 3-4 feet would give you a nice landing strip for the bike without obscuring the nice floor.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Thanks for the input.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:15 pm

At my sons previous employment, they gave him an entrance mat from the front door. He brought it to me and have been using it for a couple of years now and it works well. I use the leaf blower to clean it about once a month!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #7 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 7:53 am

Here is an option for a rubber mat. Go to your nearest auto salvage yard and ask if they have a used rubber bed mat for a pickup. They are only about $80 new, so a used one should be 1/2 price or less. If you only want something to put some thing under the side or center stand you could get just the tailgate mat. Whatever you get, you can cut it with a utility knife to the size you need. These are very tough, cord reinforced rubber and won't slip as you drive onto them. A bedmat for a long (8") box pickup will be required for a full length drive on mat. Good luck on your search.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:54 am

Another option, I went to a local weight/exercise equipment supplier where they sold rubberized flooring for gyms. They had pallets of seconds which were 4x6 ĺ inch thick. The cost was 20 dollars each. This might be a solution for your application. Good luck.
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 2:13 am

Recycle/salavage business

You can also try a salvage business and look for old conveyor belt rubber. I have a 2' X 1' X 1/4" piece that I center below my center stand. Next to it I use an old throw rug. The center stand rests on the rubber and the old rug takes the slight touch of the center stand lever. If the rug is not there you will find small marks from the lever left on the concrete. Rug is necessary if you have a nice painted floor.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in