Maintenance records, etc - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Maintenance records, etc

Just a short note/FYI about a software I have used for almost a year now to track maintenance, costs and a load of other items.

It is called "Driver's Log" and is the most complete and versatile software package I have found for this purpose.

It is written by one guy, who is also a rider, and he is really quick to add features according to the user's requests and respond to other issues. In other words, there's no "red tape" when a decision is made, etc.

If you have thoughts about using an application like this, check it out and compare it to others.

The website is http://www.stumpware.com/

I am extremely happy with the application and really appreciate the versatility in use. Just that it supports such a thing as my vehicles with odometers in miles and where I use volumes in liters shows the amount of thought and acceptance of user requests that have been applied.

I can really recommend this product to anyone.

I am not affiliated with the company, just a satisfied user.

Stefan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 6:53 pm

I use the same software and agree with your accessment, Stefan. I'm able to track routine items but also break out trips or business expenses with ease. Certainly you can use it for auto as well.

It took me a while to find a replacement for the Palm application I used to use but Driver's Log works well for me. I'd also recommend it (and not just 'cause the guy and his wife who is involved in the software are Texans).

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2003 Titan Silver LTC (Angel-returned to the heavens)
2000 Basalt LTC (Down for the count)
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #3 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:49 am

Hej Stefan

the software looks quite handy. I wish I had had it two years earlier. Or maybe not...after all, as they say "knowledge adds agony."

To be serious, I downloaded the demo and had a quick look at it. It seems to have litres and km:s. Does it calculate the "mileage" as we understand it? (Liters / 100 km)
Is there a way to choose other currency than $?

MVH

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Hi Ari,

For the fuel mileage I have it set up to calculate "distance / # of units". Of course the Swedes have to be special now that I am back and I have not configured it to "liters per Swedish mile". Don't even know if it is possible yet. A Swedish mile being 6.2 statute miles.

For the currency symbol, I doubt he has incorporated other symbols than the $ yet. I have requested it to be included in a future version.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you want me to send you some reports after entering data for some time.

Stefan
post #5 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:43 pm

post #6 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Great link and it really shows the "down to earth" and openess of the developer. I am sure that this is the most bang for the buck anyone will be able to find when it comes to this type of application.

Stefan
post #7 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

For those of you that have this program already or are thinking about getting it, I have set up the maintenance schedule for the K 1200 LT (2001) to be used with this program.

I have also added a few things I thought would be good to do. The file is attached and feel free to use it and hopefully improve it and re-post for others to enjoy.

Just unzip it and place it in the location you want it...or vice versa.

Regards,

Stefan
Attached Files
File Type: zip BMW K1200LT.zip (1.2 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by stefan; Dec 5th, 2005 at 6:33 pm. Reason: grammar errors
post #8 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 7:06 pm

Howdy All!

First, I would like to thank Stefan for the kind words and support - I really appreciate it!

If any of you have any questions, problems, or suggestions about Drivers Log, please don't hesitate to let me know!

I don't want to over do my welcome in my first post, so I will just say thanks for the support guys!

Best Regards,

Shane

P.S. I am having an XMAS sale through 12/14/05 - please see link below:

http://www.stumpware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=243

Last edited by Shane Stump; Dec 5th, 2005 at 7:28 pm.
post #9 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
For those of you that have this program already or are thinking about getting it, I have set up the maintenance schedule for the K 1200 LT (2001) to be used with this program.

I have also added a few things I thought would be good to do. The file is attached and feel free to use it and hopefully improve it and re-post for others to enjoy.

Just unzip it and place it in the location you want it...or vice versa.

Regards,

Stefan
Stefan, I unzipped the file but what program opens the .smz file?

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #10 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Edgar,

The *.smz is a Drivers Log Scheduled Maintenance profile. To use it, do the following (I am assuming DL Version 2.91):

1) Save the K1200.smz file into the DL Scheduled Maintenance directory (C:\Program Files\DriversLog\ScheduledMaintenance).

2) Open DL

3) Open database (if not automatically opened).

4) Click on the Vehicle List (in the Vehicle pane of the Navigation Bar)

5) Select your K1200T bike in the vehicle list.

6) Click the SM Setup button

7) When the Scheduled Maintenance dialog is displayed, click the Import Schedule button.

8) Click the Save button.

If you need more info, please let me know!

Best Regards,

Shane
post #11 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:24 pm

I ordered one!

I ordered one!

I may end up really *regretting* this, once I find out how much money I am spending on these darn bikes...BUTT, I just can't pass up a sale.
post #12 of 28 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:43 pm

Connie,

Thanks for the support! If you are like most, you will find out that you actually use DL mainly as a Trip Expense Manager!

Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or problems!

I guess if I can sell 600 more copies to the K1200 board , I will have to add a K1200LT to my GL1800 and FJR1300 (coming in May 2006)!

Best Regards,

Shane
post #13 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 4:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1200lt
I ordered one!

I may end up really *regretting* this, once I find out how much money I am spending on these darn bikes...BUTT, I just can't pass up a sale.
You may be right on the spending part, but what I found out from the DL reports was that I am getting a better fuel mileage using 95 Octane vs. 98 Octane. This alone saves about $0.20/gallon in our wonderful world where the gas is over $6.00/ gallon

As Shane pointed out, the trip expense manager is really useful as well.

Stefan
post #14 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:01 am

Thumbs up Thanks Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stump
Edgar,
If you need more info, please let me know!

Best Regards,

Shane
I appreciate the info and the regular updates. I've been using Driver's Log for over a year and it keeps me organized. Now if I can offer you a favor in return: Perhaps you should look into getting an LT and leaving the darkside. No telling what kind of mileage you'd get in that Texas Hill Country Bluebonnet field with an indigenous German ride!

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #15 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatanner
I appreciate the info and the regular updates. I've been using Driver's Log for over a year and it keeps me organized. Now if I can offer you a favor in return: Perhaps you should look into getting an LT and leaving the darkside. No telling what kind of mileage you'd get in that Texas Hill Country Bluebonnet field with an indigenous German ride!
I wouldn't trade my Serpent Slayer (GL1800/A) for any bike ! While I don't get to ride as much as I would like, I still have logged over 52,000 miles in the past 2.5 years and all of them have been TROUBLE free!

But, if you can help me sell another 597 copies, I will GLADLY spend the $$,$$$ on another bike! I have been wanting a smaller sport-touring bike for long day trips and I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 2006 FJR1300AE.

If you have any suggestions, problems, or comments about DL, please feel free to contact me. I am in front of the computer most of the time!

Merry XMAS and Happy Holidays to ALL!

Shane
post #16 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:23 am

Spitting Match Commences

Quote:
I wouldn't trade my Serpent Slayer (GL1800/A) for any bike ! While I don't get to ride as much as I would like, I still have logged over 52,000 miles in the past 2.5 years and all of them have been TROUBLE free!

But, if you can help me sell another 597 copies, I will GLADLY spend the $$,$$$ on another bike! I have been wanting a smaller sport-touring bike for long day trips and I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 2006 FJR1300AE.

If you have any suggestions, problems, or comments about DL, please feel free to contact me. I am in front of the computer most of the time!

Merry XMAS and Happy Holidays to ALL!

Shane
Okay Shane, we've started a spitting match. Thanks to my love affair with the K1200LT (and the incredible accuracy with which I can track my expenses, farkles, and mile markers thanks to Driver's Log ) I put a bit over 26K on my 2000 during the 14 months I had it and I turned over 50K last week on my 03 Angel which I've had for 19 months. Unfortunately due to the move from Houston to San Antonio I really didn't ride from July through October of this year. Mine has also been trouble free (as evidenced by the 2.91 edition of DL) also.

I know you've got to work but let's plan on meeting up some day soon for some BBQ. I'll be glad to ride the greater distance to get there!

PS: You need to check out our Vendor's forum so you can legitmately stay connected on these forums. You sound like a brother-in-disguise.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #17 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:43 am

Quote:
Okay Shane, we've started a spitting match. Thanks to my love affair with the K1200LT (and the incredible accuracy with which I can track my expenses, farkles, and mile markers thanks to Driver's Log ) I put a bit over 26K on my 2000 during the 14 months I had it and I turned over 50K last week on my 03 Angel which I've had for 19 months. Unfortunately due to the move from Houston to San Antonio I really didn't ride from July through October of this year. Mine has also been trouble free (as evidenced by the 2.91 edition of DL) also.

I know you've got to work but let's plan on meeting up some day soon for some BBQ. I'll be glad to ride the greater distance to get there!

PS: You need to check out our Vendor's forum so you can legitmately stay connected on these forums. You sound like a brother-in-disguise.
I will gladly meet you for some good old Texas BBQ (and then a East Texas Ride)!

My brother lives in Wimberly and my parents in SA! So I will gladly meet you coming up!

Merry XMAS and Happy Holidays to all!

Shane

Last edited by Shane Stump; Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:54 am.
post #18 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:52 am

Smile

Quote:

Well, the story of my DL life - I make $1 and I giveth it away! I just spent $120 for a vendor sponsership! Now the # of copies I need to sell for my new K1200LT is backup to 600 !

Best Regards,

Shane
post #19 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 11:17 am

Quote:
I just spent $120 for a vendor sponsership! !
Thanks from those of us in the community. I hope you enjoy large divendends on your investment.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #20 of 28 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 11:21 am

Quote:
Thanks from those of us in the community. I hope you enjoy large divendends on your investment.
I hope so !

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Shane
post #21 of 28 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 2:10 pm

Well, if any of you have any questions about Drivers Log or anything else you would like to talk about in motorcycle software ideas, please post away at the StumpWare.com vendor forum (link below)!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Shane
post #22 of 28 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 12:45 am

Drivers Log CD Package BMW Style!

Below is a Drivers Log package with one of Dave's pictures (thanks Dave)! If you order a CD version of DL, please email me and tell me you want the BMW Packaging!

I appreciate your support!

Merry Christmas!

Shane
post #23 of 28 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:16 am

Quote:
Well, the story of my DL life - I make $1 and I giveth it away! I just spent $120 for a vendor sponsership! Now the # of copies I need to sell for my new K1200LT is backup to 600 !
Thanks for becoming a vendor, Shane. Now the number is 599, as I just ordered my license!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #24 of 28 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:22 am

Thanks! I just processed your order!

Since you are a fellow Texan, maybe we all can all hookup coming up for some good ol Texas BBQ !

Please let me know if you have ANY questions, problems, or suggestions.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Shane
post #25 of 28 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:33 am

Talking

Well I got through half of this thread and decided I needed this software (I am such a consumer) so I ordered it. As I read on I find that Mr Stump isn't a BMW rider!! I was shocked. Maybe some day when he sells those 500+ licenses he will come to his senses.Tisk Tisk.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #26 of 28 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
Well I got through half of this thread and decided I needed this software (I am such a consumer) so I ordered it. As I read on I find that Mr Stump isn't a BMW rider!! I was shocked. Maybe some day when he sells those 500+ licenses he will come to his senses.Tisk Tisk.
Thanks for the order - I really appreciate the support !

The BMW was actually came in second for me when I finally purchased my GL1800. If I can sell enough copies of DL to support my favorite hobby, I will definitely be purchasing a BMW for dual purpose riding!

If you have ANY problems, questions, or suggestions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Shane
post #27 of 28 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
Bought my copy the other day - I felt really bad Shane was stuck on a GL1800, so I thought I would help him upgrade! ;-)

I am still trying to get caught up entering all my old invoices - it isn't necessary, but I am pretty anal...

I think you will really like the s/w and support is EXCELLENT!

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer...
post #28 of 28 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 1:02 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Bought my copy the other day - I felt really bad Shane was stuck on a GL1800, so I thought I would help him upgrade! ;-)

I am still trying to get caught up entering all my old invoices - it isn't necessary, but I am pretty anal...

I think you will really like the s/w and support is EXCELLENT!

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer...
Thanks!

Well, I am working on a client's system now while I am sitting in a McAlister's Deli so if anyone needs anything, let me know! I will be sitting in front of the computer for the next 6 hours or so !

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Shane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in