CD Changer + bump = Hop, Skip & Jump - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 5:04 am Thread Starter
KIC

Lightbulb CD Changer + bump = Hop, Skip & Jump

My stock BMW 6-CD Changer (00 LT) seems to be a little more sensitive lately. hit a bump and the CD skips. I recently added some oil to my rear adjuster as detailed in other threads which did stiffen up the rear a bit.

So, is this common? Do they need some type of maintenance? I did run one of those CD cleaner disks in it a while back. Just would be nice to listen to the music without the skipping.
Attached Images

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 7:15 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Mine skipped all the time also. I tried all the fix's, new padding around the changer , shorter mounting bolts none of it helped so....... OUT it came and I installed Sirius radio and have not missed the CD changer

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 7:18 am

Back in '00, when several of my bud's ate MRE's on a regular basis as they had a stockpile of them and bottled water, we discovered that more than a few LT's had left the shop with the packing screws still holding the CD player rigid. I don't know the history of your bike, but you might have one that never had said screws removed. True that, they will skip, but not on a regular basis.... kind of a spring loaded, floating thang. Either that, or the thang is smoothe worn out.

Of course, once you discover the joys of satellite radio, or MP3's, you'll yank the CD player.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 7:31 am

+1 for XM Radio... It does loose signal in the mountains.

If you are using home made CDROMs it will wildly skip if you place more than 13 songs on it.
Songs 13-19 will skip if the head even plays them at all.
The player seems to like the data on the outer portion of the disk, better.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:22 am

For a 200 model, the easy no-skip answer is a small MP3 player hooked to a small FM transmitter and sit it in your oddments box. Tune in your radio and no more hops, skips or loss of music quality.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:37 am Thread Starter
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Back in '00, when several of my bud's ate MRE's on a regular basis as they had a stockpile of them and bottled water, we discovered that more than a few LT's had left the shop with the packing screws still holding the CD player rigid. I don't know the history of your bike, but you might have one that never had said screws removed. True that, they will skip, but not on a regular basis.... kind of a spring loaded, floating thang. Either that, or the thang is smoothe worn out.

Of course, once you discover the joys of satellite radio, or MP3's, you'll yank the CD player.
OK... all good ideas and info. I have been using copies of my original CD's due to the summer heat here. Easier to make a new copy than buy new CD. Took me along time and $$$ to collect all of Jimmy Buffett's CD's.

SO.... where are these packing screws and how do I release it from the bondage?

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
For a 200 model, the easy no-skip answer is a small MP3 player hooked to a small FM transmitter and sit it in your oddments box. Tune in your radio and no more hops, skips or loss of music quality.
Or even better for a 2000 LT is to use a Cassette adapter for your MP-3 player. Then you can control the volume through the handlebar control when you select "CC" on the control head! Been doing that for over four years with my Ipod now, and sure don't miss the CD player. If you do decide to stick with the CD player check those bolts like Grif said. There were a bunch of threads in the old list describing the problem.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:58 am

Mine also skips but like posted earlier, they are all copies. I burn a copy so I do not have to keep the original in the bike. FM for the most part.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Mine also skips but like posted earlier, they are all copies. I burn a copy so I do not have to keep the original in the bike. S&M for the most part.
Fixed it for you!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:25 am

Yeah.. my "CD" player skipped on my '05 since new. Pulled it, have a nice tool pouch in it's place... and added "Sirius" via direct FM connection. It just works.

One can only hope that BMW "gets with the programme" and installs the Sat or MP3 options...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Skiping CD player

I have a 2005 also and my cd player skips when I first turn it on after getting on the road on hard bumps but it seems like once the suspension loosens up it only skips on really hard bumps. How you have your rear adjustment set seems to help or hurt this problem as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in