LT questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

LT questions

In my search for a LT I have a few questions:

Some are listed as "custom", what does that mean?

If I find one with a CD changer, can I remove it?

Last but not least, and maybe too complicated, I'm going to get an '05; is there anything specific I should look for or look out for?

Thanks

Future LT owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwingrider
In my search for a LT I have a few questions:

Some are listed as "custom", what does that mean?
Custom is the model description: Standard>Custom>Elite
As far as I remember it was extinct in 2005. Now there is only one model and you can oder packages.

Quote:
If I find one with a CD changer, can I remove it?
Sure. This was the very first thing I did with my. A lot of space wasted there.

Quote:
Last but not least, and maybe too complicated, I'm going to get an '05; is there anything specific I should look for or look out for?
Make sure it has 2 wheels, one engine (complete) and 1 rear end (well... maybe if you can get one with 2 you will be on the safe side when that thing breaks )

serious now, I have few friends that own a 2005 and they are pretty happy in general with that model.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:19 pm

I can tell you one thing to look for, My 2005. I have a real bad fever for a sport tourer & sitting at work right now fighting the urge to post mine for sale. The fever is not going away & it might be posted tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0871.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	15783  

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:23 pm

With the 05 you don't need to worry about the dressed model names. From 99 to 04 there were differences in the options that were on the bike.
Standard- came with abs, heated grips, radio
Icon- came with all the above but also trip computer, cd changer (I think heated seats on some later years)
Custom- all the above, chrome package, Heated seats, top case rack (alarm system on later years)
E- all the above, GPS, intercom, removable bags

That is the gist of the models. I may have missed something or added something that should be there.

In 05 they went ala carte.
Standard with Heated grips, ABS, electric center stand, and I think alarm system.

All the rest of the stuff is an add on.

For the CD player you can take it out. There are a couple of screws and a couple of wires that need to be unclipped and it is gone.

I think the nice items to have would be ground effect lighting, top case rack, removable bags inside, heated seats, and maybe the intercom even though I would rather have the Beahr intercom system. Also I would put on the Mick o pegs, and some bright driving lights.

I am sure others will give you lots of good advise on this forum for other stuff you can add. Have fun looking for a new bike. I would buy an older bike as well if you find the right one with all the extras for the right price.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Tom

I'm coming from a GL1800 and a trailer so I think I want the '05 for the added horsepower. Isn't the intercom standard?
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Just get it.

You can not go wrong with any year. I got a 99 that will have 50K. They keep running and running.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:49 pm

The intercom is not standard. I have the J&M system which is CB, intercom, & is set up for cell phone, GPS, satalite radio & more.
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:49 pm

I don't know about the intercom with the 05. I have a 2000. The 07 looks like it is standard. Take a look at the BMW website this may help you. http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=k1200lt

There may be differences between 05 and 07 options. But this will show what to expect.

Tom

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Question 05 Questions

Intercom is not standard on an 05 its extra like GPS and the CD changer. My 05 had a comfort package that included some things like the CD changer which I take out when going on extended trips over 4 days or so with the wife ,it does take up some needed space when we are both on a trip. I use a seabag on top of my top case which allows me to take my cover rain gear extra cleaning stuff and extra cold weather gear if I need to.If you think through what your going to take on a trip its amazing how much you can get in the old girl.For example pants that make shorts with zippers on the legs, motocross style jerseys they are breathable yet keep the wind and sun from waring you down. They wash easy and pack real small,wicking type materials are great to in hot or cold. The 05 hydraulic center stand is my favorite feature also that adjustable windshield love it! Heated everything in the cool months is soooo! nice. My 05 has overall been a great year and very dependable for nearly 2 1/2 years. This bike has all the useable power I could ever want to keep me challenged,they don't need more power just less weight and a lower center of gravity. This is more info than you asked for but I hope it is helpful.
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 7:19 am

LT and SST make a nice combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwingrider
Tom

I'm coming from a GL1800 and a trailer so I think I want the '05 for the added horsepower. Isn't the intercom standard?
Good luck with your search. There's a picture of our LT and GL with matching trailers at the bottom of our home page at http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

If you find yourself considering an older LT, ours ('00) is available with trailer. It has to always be ready to go and dependable because we rely on it for our business.

By the way, expect better mileage with the LT than your GL. Although you'll use Premium gas with the LT, you can expect better MP$. I have often had 50 mpg pulling our trailer when loaded with over 200#

Joyfully,
Jim (MOPMan)

When you're comfortable...Riding Is Wonderful

Joyfully, MOPMan (Jim Mick)
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Call me about your LT

Joe

612-419-3221

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Joe;

Check the tires closely - if they are running recommended pressure, they cup and are toast at 3K...
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 2:33 am

Garage
I am thinking about a 2005 or newer. Some 2005 and newer have the automatic center stand. I am not the biggest guy on the block and its all I can do to get her up on the stand and back off again. I have to admit I lost her once coming off the center stand and over she went. No real damage thankfully other then a scratch in the windshield that needs replacing anyway.
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm

GLWINGRIDER
If you need a hitch for the LT when you get it PM me. I have a like new Bushtec hitch, wiring harness and isolator sitting in my garage, you can also mount a ball on it for other trailers. EZ installation.

John
02 BMW
LT
98 HD FLHT
97 Honda Valkerie
65 HD Chopper
01 Polaris Ranger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in