My LT battery quest - current pricing and sources - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

My LT battery quest - current pricing and sources

MODS - Please leave this here for a while so that everyone will see it, a lot of time when into compiling this info and it will get lost in the "battery" section!

Well, since my 2nd Odyssey PC680 left me rideless on a fine Christmas Day I decided to do some shopping for a new battery - and thought I would share some current pricing and resources. I did this based soley on price and specifications called for in the repair manual. Discussions of which battery is "best" has been covered many times before in many threads, and like oil, everyone has their favorite.

BMW Brand

It's a battery, not a chunk of gold. About $120.00, or more.

Odyssey PC680

I've given up on this battery and have tried hard to like them for the past several years - but it just did not work well for me. Sure, they have a flashy red case and marketing hype to go with it, but at only 16ah instead of the specified 19ah for our LT's it ain't gonna happen again. The prices seem to be hovering around $100.00 or more currently.

Panasonic LCX1220P*

This one is 20ah so it fits the bill and a solid brand. The least expensive price I found was at "U batteries" for $53.19 - BUT - it appears their web site is not working properly - even on Christmas you would think it would be functional....
http://ubatteries.com/cart/LCX1220P.html

* This is the same battery as the WestCo 12V 20P, (WestCo slaps their sticker on it) but it appears that since the WestCo is "specifically" for motorcycles they feel compelled to charge a MUCH higher price for it. More marketing hype.

Werker WKA 12-18NB

At 18ah it should werk, and it is made by Exide in the USA. This is carried by Batteries Plus but I've found their prices are ALWAYS high, either at the store or on the web. A big plus is that it comes with a 2 year warranty. Best price I found was $42.95 at www.replacementupsbattery.com/Product_pages/wka12-18NB.html

Universal Battery UB 12180

18ah, but right on the cover it says made in China, and at only $33.92 a smoking bargain, but I figure it probably WOULD be smoking in short time... You pays your money and you takes your chances. Not for me.
http://www.batteriesasap.com/46.html...FSD7iAodo1q2Og

Yuasa/Enersys NP18-12BFR

18ah, a respected brand that I've had good luck with over the years. It's probably made in China instead of Japan these days, hopefully in an ISO Certified facility. I found it for $24.99 on Flea bay, item no. 220166181378 from a 99.7% supplier. Ding, Ding, a winner! Add $9.50 Priority Mail shipping and it has a new home for the grand total of $34.49. Maybe in time for a New Years Day ride!

Almost all of the batteries had a shipping charge of $10.00, but I didn't spend much time looking at that. Freshness is an important consideration when buying batteries - and you are probably more likely to get a newer one from the big suppliers, but unfortunately there is no way to tell in advance. I sure do wish they were required to put a date on them that was not buried in some arcane manufacturer's "code."

I did find several other brands that I had never heard of before - and they were dirt cheap - they were probably just rebranded Chinese stuff like the UB mentioned above - they looked the same.

My take on batteries is that proper care and charging routines are critically important in gettting max life from them, once again fodder for another thread.

May all your Christmases be BRIGHT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Dec 25th, 2007 at 8:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 9:05 pm

Or.....

Bend the tabs at the bottom and sides of the battery box out of the way. Install a 20 Ah Goldwing battery from the GL1100-1200 series bikes. More amperage, less price ($40-50 locally), easily removed. My LT never started this well before. I personally like batteries I can add water too. In our desert heat batteries never last over 3 years, so why would I spend more for an expensive battery?
post #3 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzbmwhnd
Bend the tabs at the bottom and sides of the battery box out of the way. Install a 20 Ah Goldwing battery from the GL1100-1200 series bikes. More amperage, less price ($40-50 locally), easily removed. My LT never started this well before. I personally like batteries I can add water too. In our desert heat batteries never last over 3 years, so why would I spend more for an expensive battery?
Very clever - what brand battery is it?

My wife's OEM Panasonic sealed battery lasted 6 years in her 2001 Honda CRV cage in Tucson. I was impressed enough to buy another one but when the dealer quoted me $140.00 (and not available anywhere else that I could find) I passed and got her the Everstart at Wally World - a Consumer Reports best buy - for $45.00.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 9:29 pm

UB12220 Universal 12 Volt 22AH Battery

http://www.batteriesasap.com/48.html
post #5 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:24 pm

Westco

I had a Westco 3 going on 4 years and was thinking @ replacing it before I sold the LT just because I had gone through 2 BMW batteries prior.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #6 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:42 pm

Odyssey

The Odyssey in my LT went in at around 9-11K miles. Hard to remember that long ago, but it replaced the factory unit, when it died.

Same battery is still cranking hard at 37.6K miles, about 6 years later !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #7 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa

Looks like the one I bought...and at 22AH and 420CCA it fires the LT up right NOW.
post #8 of 40 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:52 am

Adventure AGM-22AH.

www.ebatteriestogo. com
post #9 of 40 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 8:55 am

I bought the United Power Group AGM battery from www.ebatteriestogo.com last year and love it. My 99 starts after sitting for weeks even this time of year. Here are the three batteries that they carry for the LTs:

The following battery options have been identified for your application:

WestCo 12V20P Sealed AGM - 12 Volt - 275 CCA - 20 AH - $106.95.

United Power Group - Adventure Power UB22-12N Sealed AGM - 12 Volt - 420 CCA - 22 AH - $74.95.

Power Source WP20-12I Sealed AGM - 12 Volt - 325 CCA - 20 AH
$84.95

Special - FREE SHIPPING on ... all orders that total $50 or more within the contiguous United States.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #10 of 40 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
The Odyssey in my LT went in at around 9-11K miles. Hard to remember that long ago, but it replaced the factory unit, when it died.

Same battery is still cranking hard at 37.6K miles, about 6 years later !
I'm with you, only I have about five years and 80K miles on mine.

Cheers,
-joel
post #11 of 40 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:29 pm

It may well be worth while to explore what these batteries are designed and manufactured for. I'm no electrical storage guru but I do know a 'start' battery sees quite a different life than a battery designed for standby lighting or UPS use.

The spec sheet for the NP18-12BFR shows:
Quote:
LIFE EXPECTANCY:
STANDBY USE 3 to 5 years
CYCLE USE (approx.):
100% depth of discharge 250 cycles
50% depth of discharge 550 cycles
30% depth of discharge 1200 cycles
http://www.batterystore.com/Yuasa/YuasaPDF/NP18-12.pdf

No idea what starting an LT does as far as discharge depth - but something to consider. For all I know those may well be really good numbers for LT duty!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 40 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:09 pm
KIC

Unhappy Battery Problems suck

Boy Ron, battery probs must be a Tucson thing. Went out today and the LT wouldn't do the Vroom Vroom thing. Worked fine yesterday. A short charge/jump start got it running and a trip across town charged it up.

Interesting though, I have recently been dealing with a lot of engine type static noise in the stereo/helmet headset speakers that has been inconsistent. Seemed to be louder today when I would slow or stop and the RPM's lowered.

Wondering if the battery is going out and the charging system is working harder and making engine static noises?

Anybody know if this is possibly connected?

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #13 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 3:24 am

Sounds more like a loose|corroded connection in the charging system to me.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #14 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 7:01 am

Quote:

+2 Have one in the LT and the RT.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #15 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Excellent info on the batteries, but one must remember that Ron K Miller is frugal at best.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Excellent info on the batteries, but one must remember that Ron K Miller is frugal at best.
Hey, I resemble that comment!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 9:43 pm
KIC

Frugal ? Is that what you call it ? I just thought he was cheap and couldn't afford to paint his head light the same color as his bike !

Ron, what year is your little Beamer LT ( Little Tyke) ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_work_in_progress.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	15792  

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
post #18 of 40 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:09 am
KIC

Talking It's 4AM..do you know where your LT is? I do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Sounds more like a loose|corroded connection in the charging system to me.
Thanks for the positive lead (pun intended). OK.. So it's 42 degrees in the garage, 28 degrees outside and I am up at 4am because of an irritating little cough. So what else is there to do but go check out the leads on the LT's battery. Tried to put the charger on it but it kept turning off due to full charge.

The negative bolt did require several partial turns with the wrench to snug. The positive lead has an "L" bracket on it and the top nut was tight. But.... when I put the box end on the positive bolt down below, it also required tightening.

Almost excited enough to go ride it to check it out. But if I were to wake the sleeping beauty to get the warm clothes...well that's another story for another time.

I'll try out come daylight. Good tip Zotter. Thanks.

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

post #19 of 40 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:20 am

I'm glad I did a search and found this thread. I'm going to have to replace my battery and was going to the BMW dealer in the morning, but I believe it will be worth a couple, three four days wait to order one.

Not riding since August (Well, a couple of times) has killed it. Oh well. It was four years old or so, probably time to replace it anyway.
post #20 of 40 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:26 am

Replacement Battery

Quote:

Ok I order one for 2004 K1200LiteTruck , radio on fm has a buss am ok . I have a BMW battery less then year old . Thanks Dan

Dan Jones 2004 K1200LT and 1993 ZX11C
post #21 of 40 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Well, batteriesasap was where I was going (for the universal) but my impatient nature got the best of my wallet. The HD AGM 65989-97B fits with a little shaving of the hold down clamp grommets. Vroom!

To my relief the relay didn't weld but the alarm armed itself and I had several unending sequences of flashing emergency lights with no indicator. Ahh, low battery wierdness...

What's the probability of someone else arming my alarm?

Jim
post #22 of 40 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:43 am

Re: My LT battery quest - current pricing and sources

Good morning everyone,
I wanted to bring this thread to the front for me and others who might be battery shopping. Plus, I wanted to let you know that my BMW dealer quoted me $179 for a new battery. AYFKM? (Are you #$%^-in kidding me?) They must have gone to the Harley school of parts quoting. BTW, my closest dealer is Pikes Peak HD/BMW. Anyway, some of the links in this thread are broken, but the many are not. For me, I'm leaning toward the larger GW batt.
Thanks for the info guys!!
FD
post #23 of 40 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 11:07 am

I am amazed that you can still get one from BMW dealer for $179. That is about what they were going for in 2005. At that same time the LT cup holder was somewhere near $100 and if the battery had gone up as much as the cup holder, it would be about $250 now. Your comparison to HD pricing is spot on - no conscience in either genre.

Tips
post #24 of 40 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Maybe switch to a Shorai lithium iron battery (the high amp unit)? The cost isn't that much more, and they are supposed to last longer and require less maintenance. I haven't done this yet, so I can't recommend it, but maybe others here can provide some insight. I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. (Hope this isn't considered a post hi-jack.)

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #25 of 40 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 2:58 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I buy mine at Advance Auto Parts for about $70. They are not the best battery but it is a national chain store that is open seven days a week including most holidays. That way if I have a warranty problem or just need to replace it no mater what day it is or where I happen to be it is easy.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #26 of 40 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife
Maybe switch to a Shorai lithium iron battery (the high amp unit)? The cost isn't that much more, and they are supposed to last longer and require less maintenance. I haven't done this yet, so I can't recommend it, but maybe others here can provide some insight. I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. (Hope this isn't considered a post hi-jack.)

I just bought a Shorai for my wife's G650GS.

I figure that nearly 10 pounds less weight up high would make it that much easier to handle for her.

I have not installed it yet. I am waiting for her Eastern Beaver PC8 fuse block. I think first weekend in April will be her wrenching weekend.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #27 of 40 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: My LT battery quest - current pricing and sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
Good morning everyone,
I wanted to bring this thread to the front for me and others who might be battery shopping. Plus, I wanted to let you know that my BMW dealer quoted me $179 for a new battery. AYFKM? (Are you #$%^-in kidding me?) They must have gone to the Harley school of parts quoting. BTW, my closest dealer is Pikes Peak HD/BMW. Anyway, some of the links in this thread are broken, but the many are not. For me, I'm leaning toward the larger GW batt.
Thanks for the info guys!!
FD
Ummmmm.....

Do you realize this post was started by me on Christmas Day, 2007

...and the last post prior to yours was in 2008?

Things have probably changed just a wee bit in
FOUR YEARS!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 18th, 2012 at 10:19 pm.
post #28 of 40 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Yea Odyssey PC680 has turned into a very reliable battery Ron.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #29 of 40 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 5:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Ummmmm.....

FOUR YEARS!

There is a lot of that going on these days, Ron... A sure sign of spring-like WX and new LT owners finding us. Not a bad thing. I have to admit to reviving an old thread now and then... ;-))

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #30 of 40 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 8:21 am

Never had problem one with an Odyssey in either RT or current LT. Using Battery Tender only during winter months.
post #31 of 40 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
There is a lot of that going on these days, Ron... A sure sign of spring-like WX and new LT owners finding us. Not a bad thing. I have to admit to reviving an old thread now and then... ;-))
LOL Tony - Oh well, if ya' can't beat em' - join 'em!

Here's a post from June of 2002 - when the Odyssey was only $88.00!

Odyessy battery

(The next post - of course - will be someone wanting to know where to get one for that price today...)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #32 of 40 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper
Yea Odyssey PC680 has turned into a very reliable battery Ron.
I would agree since I've come full circle and now running another - you guessed it - Odyssey!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #33 of 40 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Ummmmm.....

FOUR YEARS!

Ron, I checked all the links before I posted. Much of the info and models are still the same. And yes, I did realize how old the thread was. Actually the thread survived longer than many of our batteries!

Last edited by firedog; Mar 19th, 2012 at 2:28 pm.
post #34 of 40 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
Ron, I checked all the links before I posted. Much of the info and models are still the same. And yes, I did realize how old the thread was. Actually the thread survived longer than many of our batteries!
Well - in that case - I guess there is nothing new in ten years!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #35 of 40 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 9:24 am

Been running my LT on the cheap Universal for years with no problems. China makes a good battery.
post #36 of 40 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
.... China makes a good battery.
Yeah, but they're contaminated with lead.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #37 of 40 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 9:58 am

Where do you get an Odyssey for $88?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #38 of 40 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 10:50 am

Know this is an old thread but thank you for the info Ron.

Its about time to order a battery and the Panasonic LCX1220P* looks like the ticket 68 on amazon

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #39 of 40 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Quote:
LOL Tony - Oh well, if ya' can't beat em' - join 'em!

Here's a post from June of 2002 - when the Odyssey was only $88.00!

Odyessy battery

(The next post - of course - will be someone wanting to know where to get one for that price today...)
Well, Ron, it was not the next post, but Pete wins the prize for asking (even if he no doubt did it on cue)!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #40 of 40 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Cool Re: My LT battery quest - current pricing and sources

I have to recommend MagnaPower at Advanced Auto Parts. These AGM's have up to 400cca's and up to 26ah's and are easily exchanged should you need to do so.

I'm not sure of the exact one I have or it's spec's but I have to say that I have had a few of the others mentioned here be completely worthless after being drawn down once..... Not so with this brand and if I ever needed to replace it, I don't even need a receipt as it's stored in their computer system.

My .02

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in