LT Speaker Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

LT Speaker Replacement

Greetings,

I have an 06 LT and my front speakers have blown. I'm looking to replace/upgrade them. 1st question: Do you have any recommendations on what manufacture to use for replacement/upgrade. 2nd question: How hard is it to replace them?

Thanks and keep the rubber side down!

Smoove,

Sgt-At-Arms
Buffalo Soldiers M/C of Floride (Mother Chapter, Tampa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 5:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuuve
Greetings,

I have an 06 LT and my front speakers have blown. I'm looking to replace/upgrade them. 1st question: Do you have any recommendations on what manufacture to use for replacement/upgrade. 2nd question: How hard is it to replace them?

Thanks and keep the rubber side down!

Smoove,

Sgt-At-Arms
Buffalo Soldiers M/C of Floride (Mother Chapter, Tampa)
Smoove,
These are recent posts by Petevandyke. They give the eBay source (I purchased two sets), the disassembly sequence and reassembly. It's one of my winter projects.

Clickity-Click 1

Clickity-Click 2

Clickity-Click 3

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 12 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:26 pm

I just got the speakers suggested by Peter Vandyke- the Alpine SPS-13C2 5.25" (175 watt) for the rear trunk box

Awesome sound, a perfect fit for the rear.

My front speakers are still stock, and a lot harder to get to than the rear speakers

Scott
Shingle Springs + Redwood City Ca

2008 K1200LT Black, (Big Black Whale)
2008 DRZ400SM white (Thumpers) wife's
1975 GL1000, Red #18406 (Lazarus)
1994 Quarter Horse, Brown, #3292487(Gaucho)

Last edited by mongo; Dec 26th, 2007 at 12:29 pm. Reason: add speaker info

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:31 pm

I replaced my front speakers with Pioneer 5 1/4" Model # TS-G1342R which I got at Walmart for right at $40. Had to round out the speaker hole for the Pioneer to fit, but it didn't take long with a dremel tool. Used two of the ears on the speaker with a flat washer to hold them in place. Broke off the other two ears. They work good so far.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:04 am

Re: LT Speaker Replacement

Crutchfield has the SPS 13C2 on sale, not sure how long, 50 plus s/h...bought 2 pair, total 107...
post #6 of 12 Old May 30th, 2008, 1:25 pm

I am looking for some good factory stock rear speakers for my K1200LT. Please reply to [email protected]
Thanks, Gene
post #7 of 12 Old May 30th, 2008, 2:54 pm

I looked at several speakers (as possible future replacements) but decided the only ones that would work for me were the Polk component speakers sold by Crutchfield. I decided that because the Polk speakers are marine rated so will not be destroyed if I wash the motorcycle or get caught in the rain. Plus the stock speakers are also component speakers.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #8 of 12 Old May 30th, 2008, 7:32 pm

I followed Pete VanDyke's lead and replaced my factory speakers with the Alpines on my '04 LT. It has sat in the rain all day and the bike has been washed many times since installation. No problems with water intrusion. You can also leave the OEM "tweeters" in the LT and add the Alpines as the main speaker replacement. Great sound, a little work to get them in (especially the fronts, which, BTW, has a great drainage system) and well worth the cost and effort.
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:10 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I looked at several speakers (as possible future replacements) but decided the only ones that would work for me were the Polk component speakers sold by Crutchfield. I decided that because the Polk speakers are marine rated so will not be destroyed if I wash the motorcycle or get caught in the rain. Plus the stock speakers are also component speakers.
I am looking at replacing mine with the Polk Audio DB5251. Is this what you used? and if so, how did it work out for you?
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas
I am looking at replacing mine with the Polk Audio DB5251. Is this what you used? and if so, how did it work out for you?
Hi, Richard - this thread is several years old and Arthur K. hasn't been on the site for a year or so. You may get a response from some of the other folks that participated in this thread, who are still active on the forums. Good luck.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Garage

Was hoping he would still be subscribed and would get an email.
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Richard - this thread is several years old and Arthur K. hasn't been on the site for a year or so. You may get a response from some of the other folks that participated in this thread, who are still active on the forums. Good luck.
I sent him a PM and he got back to me. Said the Polk speakers needed a little mod to fit (expected with any after market speaker) but sounded great. Think I will take the plunge and try them. Plan on having my radio repaired by Baris in the winter as well so I think I will have a great winter project on my hands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in