won't start sometimes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

won't start sometimes

06 k12lt anyone having problems w/starting? I ride to work,bike sets all day and late evenings ride home but may not start some times, cranking ok. Have to push start for starting.
Check neutral,not in reverse,kill switch not on,alarm disable ,fuel sensor ok.
any others ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 9:00 pm

Smile

It should still be under waranty, let the dealer fix it and get it documented.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 9:49 pm

Sometimes you have to give them a leetle throttle on start up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 11:10 pm

Question Side stand clear UP??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarvin16
06 k12lt anyone having problems w/starting? I ride to work,bike sets all day and late evenings ride home but may not start some times, cranking ok. Have to push start for starting.
Check neutral,not in reverse,kill switch not on,alarm disable ,fuel sensor ok.
any others ideas?
Good luck...................sometimes a electrical switch problem is hard to find. Could even be a loose wire connector too.

I keep my side stand lubed good so it slaps UP so I don't have to worry about it not being clear up.

just my 2 cents worth!

Merry Christmas all!

I'm good today in NW MO as the ice storm has past and I took a 150 mile RIDE TODAY. Bilke had to sit for 8 1/2 days due to the ice. UGH! And it started right up today after the long sit!!!!!!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Last edited by vernvernvern; Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:11 pm. Reason: added a word
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Sometimes you have to give them a leetle throttle on start up.
I have to second this. I find that just giving the throttle a little blip and then hitting the starter does the trick for me. YMMV

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #6 of 8 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:30 am

Shouldn't have to touch the throttle or push it off. If it don't start when you push the button, it's broke, bring it in.
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Re: won't start sometimes

I have a K1200LT 2007 BMW. I bought this bike new in 2007 and there are times it wont start. Only when I let it coast downhill and shift into 1st gear will it start. I have taken it to two authorized BMW repair shops and they cant seem to fix the problem. The dealer did tell me when I bought the bike not to kill the engine with that little kill switch on the right handlebar because this bike is notorious for going bad and is expensive to fix. Is there anyone out there that can reccomend a first rate mechanic???

Thanks!
Ed Calfee

865 705 2262
[email protected]
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Re: won't start sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfee1945
... there are times it wont start. ... The dealer did tell me when I bought the bike not to kill the engine with that little kill switch on the right handlebar ...
Ed, please elaborate: it won't start = cranks but does not fire? Or, does not crank?

Regarding kill switch: I did not hear about them going bad, but this practice can cause other problems.

If you use the handlebar kill switch, engine stops but all electrics are still on. If you then neglect to turn ignition key off, you are risking draining the battery. Trouble at next start at best, ABS fault or damaged starter relay at worst. Better get into the habit of using only ignition switch.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in