Cruise control working part time - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Cruise control working part time

My 02 LT cruise works sometimes and not. Hit a bump, and it disengages. What are the usual suspects for this problem?
Thanks!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 9:59 pm

The microswitch at the clutch is usually the culprit in this case.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have got to get it working right, before spring. Just wondering, how many switches are there to the cruise?
I have heard there are quite a few.

post #4 of 33 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:31 pm

clutch!

Agree with cluch sensor adjustment. Had 06 that I bought ued with 9k on it w same problem. Dealer adjusted the switch at clutch and has been flawless for last 9k.....

best of luck and Merry Xmas!
Rich

Rich

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #5 of 33 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 7:48 am

I cannot remember when the speed sensor was removed from the final drive. If your '02 has this, the culprit is almost guaranteed to be the wire from it being partially cut where it is zip tied to the front end of the rubber brake line, at near the pivot point of the swing arm. This is very common, and will cause the cruise to kick out on bumps when the wire is flexed. I was the first to have this problem and posted about splicing the wire back, and over the years since many, many more have done so.

Watch the speedometer when riding over bumps and see if the needle flickers. If so, the problem is the wire.

If you do not have the speed sensor on the '02, then it is another problem.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 33 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the help! I will be getting into it after the holidays.
Steve
post #7 of 33 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 9:43 am

I had same problem, it was front brake handle switch needed adjusting, try riding it with opposite force on the clutch handle, front brake handle and foot brake, this should help isolate the switch.

Sonny
post #8 of 33 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chockkicker
I had same problem, it was front brake handle switch needed adjusting, try riding it with opposite force on the clutch handle, front brake handle and foot brake, this should help isolate the switch.
This I tried, and to no avail. It also does not engage all the time.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #9 of 33 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:01 am

Cruise control working part time

Search the Hall of Wisdom for the Cruise Control Diagnostic Procedure. It will tell you where the problem is.

In my case, I had 2 problems, the speed sensor wire and the throttle microswitch.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #10 of 33 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 1:44 am

Sometimes a bent (or partially bent) foot brake lever could also be the culprit. Have you dropped it lately? Don't ask how I know.

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

post #11 of 33 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 8:31 am

That's exactly what happened on my 99. The wire was cut where the zip tie was attached. In my case, however, the cruise had quit working altogether.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
post #12 of 33 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Is the "Hall of Wisdom" the archived treads? I saw a few in there about steps. Just can't find the one with the steps laid out.
No I never dropped it, but the previous owner had(not moving). It only had 1200 miles on it, but I can see with all the switches, any one or more could be causing it.
Thanks!
Steve

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #13 of 33 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
Is the "Hall of Wisdom" the archived treads? I saw a few in there about steps. Just can't find the one with the steps laid out.
No I never dropped it, but the previous owner had(not moving). It only had 1200 miles on it, but I can see with all the switches, any one or more could be causing it.
Thanks!
Steve
Steve - take a look at this by Joel.
post #14 of 33 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dick! I will try this as soon as my wife let's me have the time.

post #15 of 33 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Just went through this too. On a previous failure, it was the clutch switch. This time the dealer said they repositioned the throttle cable and it started working. Said they cut a zip tie holding the cable in place and this allowed them to repositon the cable and it worked. Took them only a min to find it, said they have seen it before. I was in a hurry so they left it at that and they will look closer when I have it in for something else in the future. Just took it on a 1k mi ride this weekend and it worked the entire time.
Happy holidays!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #16 of 33 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 4:49 pm
kip

similar issue on 99

i had the same issue on my 99
was the wire going to the speed sensor just where it was tie wrapped to the frame around the brake stuff.....had to strip back the wire and solder it together.....fixed it and its been fixed for 2 years

IF you watch ur speedo closely ...and its that wire....you will note a little jump in the speedo when you hit a bump or something.....it doesnt take much to knock the cruise off.....

just follow the wire from the sensor to where its crimped all to hell with some wire ties and thats where u are likely to find the problem!

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #17 of 33 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

With all the salt on the roads here, just have to wait til it clears off.

post #18 of 33 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:46 pm

My cruise would stop working and I would find if I cleaned the metal plate between the foot brake adjusting screw and the sensor this would fix it every time. The paper towel would come out dirty from road grime.

Push down on the foot brake and you will see were there is a screw that adjusts the height of the foot brake but it also triggers the crush cut off.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #19 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Steve - take a look at this by Joel.
Well, I went through the diagnostic check, and got as far as twisting the throttle back. No light up. It does not tell you what to do at any point, when the test fails. And that is when mine did. I checked the cable adjustment accoring to my Clymer's, and still no positive light up on the full throttle twist to stop (with the motor off).

post #20 of 33 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:09 am

I have also been trying to correct a cruise control problem on my '05. My crusie works fine below 60mph no problem setting and will hold. Between 60mph and 70mph I have trouble getting the cruise to set and it will hold intermittantly. Above 70mph where it is most needed, it will not set. During the diagnostic check everything is OK until the final process of spinning the rear tire, no light. I have checked the speed sensor clearance and have tried adjusting it in and out with no results. Any ideas why speed is effecting the
cruise control being able to set? -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #21 of 33 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

I have tried this sequence:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...apsed&sb=5&o=0
Nothing past the on/off/set/res switch check is giving a positive response.
Help?

Last edited by OU812; Jan 6th, 2008 at 2:31 pm.
post #22 of 33 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Bump for help?
Guess it goes to the dealer.

post #23 of 33 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Bump for help?
Guess it goes to the dealer.
Ok, I'll say it again: the microswitch at the clutch is usually the culprit in this case.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 33 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I checked out the Clymer's and there is a procedure, but it will take me awhile to get to it. Thanks!

post #25 of 33 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Quote:
I checked out the Clymer's and there is a procedure, but it will take me awhile to get to it. Thanks!
A couple of small screws to get to it, loosen the screw that holds the microswitch, move the microswitch, button it back up.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #26 of 33 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 6:56 am Thread Starter

That is much less then the Clymer's test procedure.
Will give your advice a try. Thanks!
Steve

post #27 of 33 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

This may sound stupid, but anyone try set the cc when the bike is on the center stand at speed? I don't have the balls to try this without affirmation.

post #28 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:53 am

Quote:
A couple of small screws to get to it, loosen the screw that holds the microswitch, move the microswitch, button it back up.
Does the switch need to be replaced or just cleaned? My CC is a part time'er as well. It works just about every time the temp is above 68-70* but when it drops lower, it is an "only sometime" unit.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #29 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

If I new which screws to loosen, and if there is a cover to remove 1st? I would have a clue as to what I was attempting.

post #30 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:14 pm

For others wondering the same thang, here is the exploded view from Max BMW parts fiche. Part #3 has to come off.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #31 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Well, that didn't work worth a damn. Scroll down to 32- Steering, right underneath it is the exploded view of the clutch handlebar assembly. Double click it.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #32 of 33 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
I have also been trying to correct a cruise control problem on my '05. My crusie works fine below 60mph no problem setting and will hold. Between 60mph and 70mph I have trouble getting the cruise to set and it will hold intermittantly. Above 70mph where it is most needed, it will not set. During the diagnostic check everything is OK until the final process of spinning the rear tire, no light. I have checked the speed sensor clearance and have tried adjusting it in and out with no results. Any ideas why speed is effecting the
cruise control being able to set? -Chuck-
My dealer suggested a new speed sensor. Put the new one on and no joy. Still have no cruise control over 65mph+-, part time cruise control from 50mph to 65mph and everthing works fine under 50mph. I guess I may have to let the dealer have a hand at it? -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #33 of 33 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
It was. Big Thanks to Grifscoots on this one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in