ABS wigwag reset - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BDC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 4:47 pm Thread Starter
BDC

ABS wigwag reset

Hi

My fault lights came on today and will not reset on re-start.

Battery in tip top condition.

The early LTs do not monitor brake fluid levels so this can be eliminated as a cause.

I'm going to do a system flush, check sensor gaps and wiring.

I've read lots of earlier posts which suggest that on the early LT (mine is a 2000) the only way to reset the wigwag flashing ABS lights is via a dealer. No amount of disconnecting battery, turning ignition switch on and off, opening and closing throttle, incantations, voodoo, or even swear words seem to help.

Is this still the case or is there a diy system available?

Has anyone had the reset carried out in the UK? How much can I expect a dealer to charge for the reset?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Chris,

Yes you are correct. We have found no Voo Doo that works other than a trip to the dealer. The makers of the GS-911 unit plan to add this function to thier list but as of yet they have not. Only two things can cause a fault in this system, the unit or it's sensors. The trip to the dealer will tell. Some have been lucky in that a full flush cleared what caused the original fault and were OK after the reset. Wish you luck.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 11:59 pm

yep

take it to the dealer, or live with it
larry

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 5:14 pm Thread Starter
BDC

Having done a bit more surfing on the web - some success has been reported by grounding the brown/blue wire in the diagnostic connector and then grounding pin 21 on the ABS controller.

Anybody tried this?

I'm not the type of guy that trusts my bike to a dealer. I'd like to sort this problem myself.

If I can reset the fault and it returns I'll deal with that situation at the time, at least I'm not relying on the dealer to do the reset.

Chris
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Chris,

The wiring diagram does not show any connection to pin 21 on the ABS and no Brown/blue wire on the diagnostic connector. So not sure what will happen.
Just don't ground the brown/green at the daig connector as it is an output of the Motronic. Could let out the smoke - you know electronics all runs on smoke right? Let the smoke out and it doesn't work anymore.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 12:44 am

Want to do DIY

But the motronic diagnostic computer.
I'll rent it from you know and then.
larry
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 3:18 am Thread Starter
BDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Chris,

The wiring diagram does not show any connection to pin 21 on the ABS and no Brown/blue wire on the diagnostic connector. So not sure what will happen.
Just don't ground the brown/green at the daig connector as it is an output of the Motronic. Could let out the smoke - you know electronics all runs on smoke right? Let the smoke out and it doesn't work anymore.
Hi John. thanks for your input. The Clymer manual shows a blue/brown wire leading to the abs diagnostic connection. Is the diagram incorrect?

Either way, you're right that I could be heading for a spectacular failure here. That's why I asked if anyone else had tried it.

I don't want to release any smoke because I'm told it's really expensive to have the smoke replaced.

anyway, I've put her to bed for winter now because it's too cold to ride. I might investigate over the winter months while she is laid up.

Cheers - Chris
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:58 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sorry about that Chris,

There is a blue brown from the diag connector to pin 20 on the ABS so maybe there is something to the post you found.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 3:27 pm

How are the lights flashing, sequence? If one is steady and the second is flashing rapidly, you may be in for a bad control unit. Check your owners manual for the fault sequence, a trip to the dealer to reset will be in order. They reset mine twice, but wound up replacing the controler. It is the single most expensive part on the motorcycle , with the exception of the engine. Hope you are under extended warranty? Keep us posted.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 7:25 am Thread Starter
BDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
How are the lights flashing, sequence? If one is steady and the second is flashing rapidly, you may be in for a bad control unit. Check your owners manual for the fault sequence, a trip to the dealer to reset will be in order. They reset mine twice, but wound up replacing the controler. It is the single most expensive part on the motorcycle , with the exception of the engine. Hope you are under extended warranty? Keep us posted.
A major point of my post is that I do not want any dealer involvement. I feel I can crack this by myself. I'll check all the sensor gaps, wiring etc and then flush out the system.

For my own personal interest I will read the fault codes by connecting a meter between the brown/blue diagnostic wire and earth. Count the pulses to read the codes. The codes are listed on other forums. This may lead to further investigation. For example, a code indicating a faulty relay could help me to home in on that component.

I will then attempt a reset by grounding the brown blue wire, turning on the ignition, and then grounding pin 21 on the abs controller for a period of 8 seconds. Apparently, getting the sequence right is critical for success. This has been reported as a successful method on other forums.

I'll keep you posted.

Chris
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 1:43 pm

Chris - you got a link to these other forums? I'd love to find these pulse counts and what they mean. Be good to have on hand!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 12 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 4:03 pm Thread Starter
BDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Chris - you got a link to these other forums? I'd love to find these pulse counts and what they mean. Be good to have on hand!
Hi. Try this for starters http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Then JW-Spud has done some interesting work here http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Regards - Chris
anarchosteff likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in