Cruise control switch at clutch lever - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Cruise control switch at clutch lever

I'm bothered by the intermittent operation of my cruise control. The dealer adjusted it once for $100, but it didn't take long to quit again. Sometimes wiggling the clutch lever brings it back, but not yesterday when I needed it.
Leaving on a ride thurs and would like to have it working. Can anyone tell me what to take apart and adjust to get it working? 2000Lt.
thanks

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 5:42 pm

If the dealer adjusted it and it is on file then they should fix it again, provided it has not been too long. Talk to them maybe they will give you a break
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 8:14 pm

I've had trouble with the on/off switch and set/resume switch combo. I've found cycling on/off switch several times (clean corroded contacts?) solves the problem.

I have noticed, however, the failure to engage is accompanied by failure of the red light to illuminate. If your red light is not illuminated, I don't think it's the clutch switch. There is a diagnostics thread here somewhere; if you haven't printed it yet, I would recommend it.

Enjoy the ride!
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 8:24 pm
was

Hey Steve. There are about a dozen things that affect CC function. My suggestion would be to start with the CC diagnostic checklist. It is in the HoW somewhere, but a quick way to get to it is to open the thread listed below this reply called "Cruise Control Diagnosis = . . ." posted by coug66. In his post he prints out the whole checklist. Also, see the reply by Rando in that thread. If your CC sometimes comes to life when you wriggle the clutch lever it is likely that you have a bad connection/bad wire at the clutch switch and/or a bad clutch switch and/or a bad CC module (the thing that is mounted in the combination switch housing), but I don't want to assume this is true. Hence the diagnostic checklist. Let us know what you find out.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The red LED in the CC switch goes on and off properly when the switch is moved.

I did find the checklist, and went through it a couple of times. Each time everything is ok through step 7. Step 8 onward, nothing changes, with the dash indicator staying off.

I may try to run by the dealer tomorrow to see if they'll re-adjust, assuming it is the same failure as last time. After they adjusted the clutch sw, the CC worked for a while, then a rough campground road seemed to cause CC failure again. Playing with the clutch lever that time did get it working again. The CC has failed a couple times since, and snapping the clutch lever in and out a few times brought it back. I don't know if the dealer will adjust w/o charging, but if not I'd prefer to do it myself.

Now that a longer ride is coming up thurs, of course the thing won't come back. Grrrr!
Suggestions appreciated!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #6 of 8 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Update on cruise control failure. This time it was something to do with the throttle cable. Took it to my local dealer, Victory BMW, who had adjusted the clutch lever switch in Sep. They looked it over, found the throttle cable was a bit stiff or something, said they removed a zip tie and repositioned the cable and the cruise started working. This is a bandaid to get me through a ride this weekend to Death Valley. A couple of tests and it seems to work for now.

I want to give Victory BMW a good mark for this one. They were short handed today, and still offered to look at it. They got it working and didn't charge me for the service. I'm usually quick to bash a dealer for most anything, so I think it is only fair to give them kudos on this one.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #7 of 8 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:20 am

I've got a little problem with the clutch microswitch. I have to push the lever back, not pull it in, to make the connection. Pushing it rather than pulling sets the microswitch.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:30 am

I had this problem with my front brake lever.
had to push it forward every time I wanted to use CC.
I took it apart, loosened the screw on the switch and held it where I wanted and retightened the screw.
It didn't really look like there was adjustment allowed...but......
Two years now without a glitch.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in