Which cleaner 4 windshield? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:31 pm Thread Starter

Which cleaner 4 windshield?

I'm under the impression I shouldn't use windex on my electric windshield. What should I use if this is the case? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:52 pm

Water

I use solely water to clean the windshield. I often wet an old t-shirt or towel in warm water and then place it on the shield for a few minutes to loosen the encrusted bugs. When on the road, I carry a couple of mircofiber towels and a bottle of water. Use one to clean the shield and the other to dry it.

2003 K1200LT Titan Silver - The Great Escape
post #3 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:00 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
I'm under the impression I shouldn't use windex on my electric windshield. What should I use if this is the case? TIA
Definately, nothing with amonia. And no paper towels, or filthy water squeegies at the gas station!!!

There are TONS of cleaners on the market, and the aviation industry has plenty of choices, both cleaners and polishes.

For a rag, I go to Costco and get the big package of (I think) 100 yellow microfiber towels for cheap.

Carry the cleaner / polisher in the bike along with a few towels.

Easy.

Tony Williams
San Diego and Africa
2002 LTC black
Cee Bailey windscreen +2"
XM Roady 2
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
ChatterBox XBi2 bluetooth intercom
Metzler 880's

post #4 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:10 am

Talking

As mentioned, a hot wet towel laid over the windshield to soften the bug guts.

And, I always have a leetle can of Honda Cleaner/Polish stuff to provide a protective coating. I really really like that Honda stuff!
post #5 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:28 am

Garage
I've used the Honda Cleaner/Polish on shields for years with no adverse effects. Currently my 99LT shield has seen nothing but Honda Cleaner/Polish, and it is still like new.
post #6 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:30 am

Hmmm .... asking what windshield cleaner to use is like asking what oil to use. I agree with all the others who use a wet towel layed on the shield to soften and clean bugs. And when on the road I love the Honda Spray polish and that's one product that works on the entire bike including the shield.

But when at home .... after the wet towel I use Novus #1 and then finish with a product called 210. Keep the bugs from sticking and makes clean up easy.

http://www.americanacrylics.com/polish.htm

http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/ARM/ARM21014OZ.html

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #7 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 5:03 am

Plexus is a really good cleaner that is meant for plastic based shields. It also does a good job on the LT rear view mirrors and speedo cover.

It can be had at most motorcycle shops or online. The big spray can is 13 oz. and is about 11.00 at most places. I have used it for a while. It works great. Also, go to walmart and get yourself a bug pad.. It is a sponge with soft mesh around it that works great with plexus for removing dead bug carcasses. That and a soft cotton cloth or even an old ripped up tee shirt or towel.

That's what I use and it works for me..

Good Luck
post #8 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
Plexus is a really good cleaner that is meant for plastic based shields. It also does a good job on the LT rear view mirrors and speedo cover.

It can be had at most motorcycle shops or online. The big spray can is 13 oz. and is about 11.00 at most places. I have used it for a while. It works great. Also, go to walmart and get yourself a bug pad.. It is a sponge with soft mesh around it that works great with plexus for removing dead bug carcasses. That and a soft cotton cloth or even an old ripped up tee shirt or towel.

That's what I use and it works for me..

Good Luck
Good point ..... I ONLY use cotton rags ... usually old t-shirts but I never use the screen printed part. Also the new micro fiber cloths you can pick up at Wal-mart.

I also agree on Plexus and find it pretty much interchangable with Honda Spray Polish. If you are paying $11 for the large Plexus you may want to give the Honda Spray Polish a try .... $4.60 at all Honda dealers for the large can. They also make a nice smaller travel size for $2.79. You may want to check Dennis Kirk for Plexus .... I just got some of the 13 oz. size for $7.99 each.

Ed Apelian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 8:21 am

Honda polish/lg. and sm. can

I've used the Honda polish on everything for years.....and the little bitty can for around $3 can't be beat for a travel size cleaner, so I always leave one rolling around in the top trunk with other various and sundry items.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #10 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:30 am

I can't speak for the actual chemical composition of the LT's shield, but on most other Lexan/polycarbonate shields, ammonia in Windex will destroy the thin outer coating of the plastic - it clouds it really, really bad...hmmmm, somewhat like the LT's stock shields do on their own, come to think of it! Anyway, I found this out the hard way several years ago on a Goldwing shield by grabbing what I thought was a spray bottle of water that turned out to be Windex. I now use Plexus or 210 Plastic Cleaner in the aerosol can for my cleaning chores.

Gregg L.
'05 LT, Lt Metallic Yellow (of course)
Southeast PA
post #11 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
Hi, Jerrod - good thought on not using Windex on your windshield; same applies to not using the original Rain-X. Both are blamed for hastening the destruction of the outer film that is present on the BMW shields.

Most of the old-timers around here know that I'm a non-paid proponent of Brillianize by Kleenmaster. Been using it on ole Toad for over six years; not only on the shields, butt over all surfaces. Applied by spray and rubbed by baby diapers, or the micro-fibre materials, we've had great success under all bugz/dirt/tar/crud conditions. A word of warning tho --- if you plan on painting, or repainting a surface in the near future, don't use Brillianize on the surface beforehand; the paint won't stick. Good stuff; semi-hard to find at local stores, butt you can internet-it here.

HTH
post #12 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:33 am

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic and you might want to check the archives. A word about Plexus, I tried it after getting a recommendation from another rider and had poor results. My understanding is that it traps moisture in tiny pores in the polycarbonate which leads to fogging. Using denatured alcohol on a fogged windshield can help, it extracts the moisture.
You want to do a search on the old site.
Now acrylic is a different animal so if you have an aftermarket windshield becareful, use the manufacturers advice. Of course water and a soft cotton rag can never hurt.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #13 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:27 am

Thumbs up

I have used Plexus for two and half years on a Parabellum screen and plastic headlight cover and IMHO it is the best for anything plastic
post #14 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice! I have several options mentioned already in the garage just waiting to be put to work. I will be cleaning the shield again today but this time without all the anxiety. Thanks Aagin!
post #15 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:55 am

windshield cleaner

after not cleaning my wind shield for quite a while during the summer in the deep south (read lots of bugs), i took someones suggestion and tried over the counter hydrogen peroxide. first i soaked the worst areas under a peroxide saturated cloth. i used a linen cotton blend as linen is softer than other fabrics. i used some elbow grease and did a pretty good job. since then i have used Novus #1 plastic clean and shine. omurphy
post #16 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:06 pm

I don't even bother cleaning my windshield on the road and prefer to wait until I get home and use hot, soapy water with Dawn or Lemon Joy and a dedicated wash mitt that does not touch anything else. Keeps you from grinding dirt in and scratching it.

This is a bit off topic, but after washing to keep rain from blurring vision and bugs from sticking I have used this stuff for years - it is used by many aviation enthusiasts and commercial carriers and is designed for - and safe to use - with acrylics and polycarbonates. It is a silicone emulsion:

http://www.vortexaviation.com/rvr.html

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Jerrod - good thought on not using Windex on your windshield; same applies to not using the original Rain-X. Both are blamed for hastening the destruction of the outer film that is present on the BMW shields.

Most of the old-timers around here know that I'm a non-paid proponent of Brillianize by Kleenmaster. Been using it on ole Toad for over six years; not only on the shields, butt over all surfaces. Applied by spray and rubbed by baby diapers, or the micro-fibre materials, we've had great success under all bugz/dirt/tar/crud conditions. A word of warning tho --- if you plan on painting, or repainting a surface in the near future, don't use Brillianize on the surface beforehand; the paint won't stick. Good stuff; semi-hard to find at local stores, butt you can internet-it here.

HTH
For you Austin, Tejas based persons, Lone Star BMW carries Brillianize.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #18 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:06 pm

Plexus rocks

I just bought 3 - 13oz cans of Plexus on ebay for about $7/can. I have used a windex type cleaner on the windshield for about 2 years and definitely noticed it clouding up as of recently (lesson learned). The Plexus really makes it look more clear and removed the cloudiness. It seems to have a wax content in it by the way it wipes off. They recommend that a soft cloth be used with it (no paper towels!). I am now a believer.
post #19 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:46 am

Another product you guys might want to check out is Protect All Quick and Easy Wash. Great for cleaning your windshield and the rest of your bike. Just cleaned mine yesterday with it, non abrasive, anti static, water repellent. One 16 oz bottle makes 16 gallons. I also use Protect All polish on the the windshield and the rest of the bike every now and then, bugs pretty much wash away.
post #20 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 1:00 pm

I've used all of the above, including Brillianize and found them to work well. I'd like to add,however, Griot's Garage Speed Shine to the list. It cleans well, handles rain well and works great on the painted surfaces too.
Also, if you're on the road and run out of your favorite stuff, Pledge will get the job done for a lot less money and you can get it in any grocery store or Wal Mart.
post #21 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 2:54 pm

Dude, All that bad stuff you mentioned, I do it all the time. Now granted, I do not have the BWM winshield (I have a Parrabellum), but my feeeling is this. If my windshiled can't handle a little rough cleaning now and then how the heck is it dealing with all that stuff(sand, dirt, bird doodoo) whacking it at 70 mph.
post #22 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 3:02 pm

I use a towel with warm water to get the bugs off and then use Plexus on the windshield and clear plastic parts. Hondaline Polish on the rest of the bike. Both are great products. Once a year I polish the windshield with the Cee Bailey's polish that comes with their windshields. Does a great job taking off the smaller scrathches that accumulate throughout the riding season. Also use Plexus on my face shields.
post #23 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Windshield Cleaner

BTW I have a stock windshield. I use water and clean towels, then every so often I use the 210 cleaner/polish on the damp shield. Tried Plexus and it fogged up my shield.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #24 of 32 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWilliams
Definately, nothing with amonia. And no paper towels, or filthy water squeegies at the gas station!!!

There are TONS of cleaners on the market, and the aviation industry has plenty of choices, both cleaners and polishes.
Good advice.

After trying many recommended products, I settled years ago on Permatex 403D plastic cleaner to clean the windows and windshields of the airplanes I've owned the past 20 years. Light aircraft have windows made of a material that's much softer than Lexan and the rest of the more advanced formulations used in modern motorcycle windshields.

It works quite well, and absolutely won't do any damage.

The advice on using no paper is spot-on. Paper will scratch plastic very easily. I used to have to fight the aviation line people, who thought they were doing good service, from trying to clean my airplane windshields with their rolls of paper towels. That's a great way to permanently scratch and ruin plastic. On the planes, and on the bikes, it's nothing but clean, soft, cotton flannel I buy at the fabric stores.
post #25 of 32 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:31 pm

After cleaning the windshield with soap and water I have had good results using 100% carnuba wax .
post #26 of 32 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:22 am

cleaner

I use the BOM on both the bike and the windshield, and it works good on both. jrlakin
post #27 of 32 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:20 pm

I can also vouch for Pledge. Many of the long riders on the ST1100.org site have used Pledge for years with no ill effects.
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #28 of 32 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Wet towel, draped over the screen for 30 minutes, then wet cloth with a lttle wasing-up liquid clean it, then once a month Plexus. Never had a problem yet with fogging. I use Plexus on the aircraft canopy (Rallye ST2), and the bugs just to seem to 'flow' off.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #29 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Re: Which cleaner 4 windshield?

is there any help once it is fogged?
post #30 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 8:11 pm

Garage

found this thread using the search feature it might help

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ggy+windshield

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #31 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass
Good advice.

After trying many recommended products, I settled years ago on Permatex 403D plastic cleaner to clean the windows and windshields of the airplanes I've owned the past 20 years. Light aircraft have windows made of a material that's much softer than Lexan and the rest of the more advanced formulations used in modern motorcycle windshields.==============
actually, most general aviation aircraft windshields are made from a toughened grade of acrylic, and is considerably harder than polycarbonate (Lexan). The BMW windshields are polycarbonate for safety purposes as it won't shatter like acrylic, but they have a scratch resistant coating on them. Without the coating they would scratch extremely easily. Unfortunately, the coating has a propensity to fog when there is absorbed moisture in it.

Alcohol cleaning, with a LOT of alcohol will pull the moisture out and stop the fogging for a short time, and coating the shield with something like Brillianize will help seal it against absorbing more moisture.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #32 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
actually, most general aviation aircraft windshields are made from a toughened grade of acrylic, and is considerably harder than polycarbonate (Lexan). The BMW windshields are polycarbonate for safety purposes as it won't shatter like acrylic, but they have a scratch resistant coating on them. Without the coating they would scratch extremely easily. Unfortunately, the coating has a propensity to fog when there is absorbed moisture in it.

Alcohol cleaning, with a LOT of alcohol will pull the moisture out and stop the fogging for a short time, and coating the shield with something like Brillianize will help seal it against absorbing more moisture.
Actually my experience when I had my LT was once the shield began to fog it was pretty much done. I agree the alcohol treatment helped and worked better than other solution I tried .... but in the end I swapped it out for a Cee Bailey's shield. I loved the Cee Bailey's and it cleaned up like a champ with Honda Spray Polish or Novus #1. I also have a V-Stream on my RT and it cleans up with both the Honda stuff and Novus. As other have noted a towel soaked in hot water cleans up a days worth of bugs easily. I DO clean the bugs off as soon as possible as they can be nasty and can etch the shield. I also like the Cee Bailey's as it can be ordered with a light gray tint.

Ed Apelian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in