Dealer computer/factory trans reset? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Dealer computer/factory trans reset?

The first time we took the LT for dealer service under warranty, we were there for at least four hours, and was told they needed to do something to the transmission, via their computer to reset something to new factory specs. Any idea what changes the factory made to the 99 software that any changes would have been needed?

What else on this bike is operated off a computer that I need to be aware of?

The only issue I have noticed with the trans in the short couple of weeks we had to ride, it sometimes grinds going down to 4th, and I had problems getting into first when I left it warm up in neutral. My two close calls with it walking off the side stand, I now realized the trans indicator showed it was in 1st, and it really was still in neutral.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:43 pm

No idea - the LT doesn't have an electronic tranny.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Your LT does not have any electronic controls or sensors related to the transmission; it is a very conventional mechanical box. The Motronic controller will monitor and store failure codes related to engine sensors and to ABS only. As a matter of fact, even the engine computer cannot be "updated" over the diagnostic connector - to the best of my knowledge - map changes can be effected by replacement of EPROM.

Almost sounds like either the dealer was giving you the STORY, or you simply misunderstood what they were telling you.

Regarding shifting: you are probably aware of it by now, but if not: the LT gearbox is rather clunky. Not the best example of German engineering, IMHO.

It works best when being preloaded for shifts: i.e., put a little pressure with your foot on the shift lever in the direction of desired shift, then "blip" the clutch lever while letting the shift lever move, then release shift lever. This allows the box to smoothly fall into the desired position.

And yes, occasionally you will still find yourself with missed shifts or a false neutral. "They all do it..."

Same thing for the wrong indicator: it happened to me a few times as well (having indicator show 1st, while bike was in N, or vice versa). I usually rock the bike a bit while parking nowadays. Don't ask how I know.

All of my BMW gearboxes are reluctant to shift into 1st while standing still in neutral. The standard technique is again to preload lever towards the 1st and partially release clutch just ever so slightly, to impart motion onto gears. That will align the otherwise motionless gears and allow them to slide into 1st.

You do not encounter this issue as much when the bike is cold, because the trans oil is more viscous and drags the gears into position.

Still, these are quirks. Fine machine overall. Not sure if the same statement applies to the dealers.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Dec 17th, 2007 at 4:52 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

I very easily could have misunderstood....hate to call and ask now. I am quite certain they told me there was a computer modification that was done at NC, and I was pretty sure it had to do with the trans.

I did locate the 6 page diagnostic print out of the Motronic test, have no idea what much of any of it means. How do you know if you have the anti-theft alarm?

I also noticed quite a few charges not mentioned prior to the time of service, such as disposal of oil filter, old tires etc. I could have just as well brought them home and put them in our trash and saved the fees, which were more than just a few bucks. Warranty items were replaced and we were charged for individual bolts to complete the job (what is up with that?), electric ties used to hold the mirrors on instead of tethers? I was told by the previous owner he installed the tethers, now I have look myself (next spring).

Makes me appreciate the folks that service our cars a whole lot more!

They repeated testing for "fault codes", but I can't tell what that was for exactly, as there are many an none are highlighted.

Being that it went in for excessive brake squeak, I have no idea what any of this has to do with it. Now venting my frustration at why this took four, prime winter riding hours, more so when it was already scheduled for a two day service the following week, which cost another $1250.

As per the thoughts on the clunky trans, the LT is about as smooth as I've ever ridden. I only find it grinds into fourth on the way down when the revs are too low. The not going into first issue I found only when it was cold after sitting all night, with night temps in the teens and 20's, maybe upper 30's by the time I started it up.

The shifting on the RT we had before this was the worst of any bike I have ever ridden! That alone was reason to get rid of it. I must have moaned about the RT trans shifting for at least 1000 miles, or until they just got tired of listening to me.

We wasted an entire day ride, sitting in the shop for that "reset", and only went in to see why the brakes were squeaking. SO was not happy about taking a day off of work to sit and do nothing in the showroom.

Last edited by yechave; Dec 17th, 2007 at 6:20 pm.
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:23 am

Wayne, the easiest way to tell if you have the anti-theft alarm is that on the right forward speaker panel just under the headlight adjustment knob you will find an LED which flashes differently depending on what mode you have the alarm set to.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks! I for sure don't have the alarm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in