aux light, under the headlight is? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:48 am Thread Starter

aux light, under the headlight is?

I've seen a number of LT pics with a wide, expensive looking, thin aux light going across the forks, inside the fairing. What kid of light is that?

I ordered a set of H3 bulbed lights for under the mirrors, 3.24" wide and looking for mounting brackets (if anyone has a set they want to sell?), or I possibly could mount these under the fairing. Have to see what they look like when I get them. The H3 in the factory high beam works decently, so I thought two more can't hurt.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I've seen a number of LT pics with a wide, expensive looking, thin aux light going across the forks, inside the fairing. What kid of light is that?
Late model LT, high beam light Shirley? The previous models has a composite
dip / main headlamp. In 04 or 05 the design was changed to seperate housings.

Just pussin' through.
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Not attatched to the forks but, I think you mean these.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...T&kit=EZ-K12LT

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Yes and yes. It appears that would be the high beam then. Those are the aux brackets I was looking for, to go under the cowling.

I am also looking for the brackets to mount the lights under the mirrors. I won't know which way I want to go until I get the lights in my hand, see what kind of beam they throw, and decide on keeping those or getting the round ones..

Thanks!
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:21 pm

I'm pretty sure I got my K1200LT under mirror mounts for my Hella FF50 driving lights from Cycle Gadgets but I can't seem to find them anywhere on their site.

The auxillary lights and mounts that are between my forks are available from Lumalink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0297_640_480.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	15680  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Love my little lights under the nose. You hardly know they are there untill you turn them on & they don't make the LT look like a 4X4.
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 4:33 pm

quick question, i was thinking about fitting these lights too. The PIAA 1100X models as a local dealer has them in stock.

Firstly are these dipped beam or High beam? I would like them to run as my dipped beam.

Secondly, what do you have to do to install these?

Cheers
Shimmy
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 5:42 pm

Shimmy
Not sure what "dipped Beams" are, I assume low beam. This is where I wired mine on my 06 LT. You will need to take the tupperware off to get to the wiring and it will be easier to mount the lights. I used the EZYmounts which mount to existing mount holes in the fairing. You will need to leave extra wire or make the detachable so you can perform service like gas tank and air filter removal. Fairly simple install and much improved lighting when done. I used the stock switch that came with the kit or you can get an autoswitch to run them through the turn signal cancel button....

Good Luck
Rich

Rich

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
I'm pretty sure I got my K1200LT under mirror mounts for my Hella FF50 driving lights from Cycle Gadgets but I can't seem to find them anywhere on their site...
Raffy (www.motogear4you.com) sells them, too.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 6:45 am

Wayne, these are probably the brackets you are looking for to mount them under the mirrors http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=17

You may also want to consider mounting them under the tip-over wings, at only 3.24" they should fit nicely. They are also easier to keep aimed out of the eyes of oncoming traffic. They also keep the beam lower to the ground to light up that section of road below standard headlight beam, I haven't been suprised by possums, skunks, deer etc. since I put mine in that location, nothing like smacking a possum at 50mph . The only problem with mounting them under the wings is you can't use J-Pegs.

Mine in this location and in combination with HID low beam really let me see and be seen.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #11 of 14 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 7:24 am

cheers rdawg, yep i do mean low beam. Ive gone off the idea of these though, apparently they dont really light up much of the road.
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 4:24 pm
KIC

front lights

Mine are mounted down on the forks. I am curious about the original question of a long thin light I have seen mounted under the main headlight, mounted between, across, the front forks.
Attached Images

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:57 pm

Talking 05 and newer

have a split system. Low beam is the large light, and the thinner unit under the light, between the forks is the high beam portion of the lighting system.

hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010157.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	15785  

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:35 pm
KIC

Lightbulb Thin high beam light..

Is that "high beam" light an add on? Can it be intergraded into my 2000 lighting system?

I think it would be real neat to install that light with the flashing light modulator. Anything that could help keep the impromptu merging of my LT and a random cage, and look good doing it, has a thumbs up from me.

Has anybody else mounted these lights?

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in