Finally got my K1200 L - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Finally got my K1200 L

Hello, I was absent for a while looking for a nice LT to buy. Finally got it, it is a 2005 dark graphite, very nice and in good condition. Although I have an issue I've noticed in the 3 times I've ridden it. I live in Mexico and there are a lot of bumps for slowing down traffic. The bike is rather low and its bottom part scrapes or in worst cases, even hit them no matter how gently I try to cross them over. I wonder if this fact will cause significant damage to an important part of the bike and if there is anything in the market to protect it. Raising the bike is not an option for me because I have a short inseam and have a hard time in slow maneuvers with the heavy beast. Hardening suspension does not help a lot either. Actually, this bottom tray has already suffered important scrapes and it will be difficult to avoid more of this. I hope you can help me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 9:50 pm
BMW Guru

Congrats on the new bike. Those topas are tough, I've bottomed out a GS on them. I don't know of any after market skid plates. I would suggest just going as slow as possilbe over them. I've scraped my LT a few times. Don't think it hurts anything...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:26 pm

Make sure the tire pressure is 42 and around 48 rear. If you are lower than that, your bike will be lower to the ground, and the tires ware our a lot faster.

Bob

post #4 of 5 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:34 pm

STOP & GO. I do a complete stop just before the front wheel hits the speed bump. Then power easy over the bump with the front wheel and speed up as the rear rides up and over. After a while you will know what height bumps make you bottom the skid plate which protects the transmission housing.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #5 of 5 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
STOP & GO. I do a complete stop just before the front wheel hits the speed bump. Then power easy over the bump with the front wheel and speed up as the rear rides up and over. After a while you will know what height bumps make you bottom the skid plate which protects the transmission housing.
If that skid plate covers the transmission housing, I beleive that's bad news for me, isn't it??, do you think it is fragile enough to fail in one of those hits?? Thankyou for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in