Storage covers for the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Storage covers for the LT

I've been looking (on-line) at the Geza Covers for the LT. Has anyone had any experience with this cover?

With thanks!

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:19 pm

I have one. Use it alot when I travel or to cover bike when parked for extended stops to keep prying eyes off farkels. Packs very small in included bag. Very pricey.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:41 pm

I have one too...it really only offers visual protection.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 7:50 am Thread Starter

Sharkey and Wolfgang - Thanks for your responses. I'm mainly considering the Geza for travel - keeping dry and "under cover" at night. Would you buy it again?

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 9:47 pm
RMW

Thumbs up

I have been using one on my bike since 05. Easy to take along and keeps the dew and prying eyes off, not much else. If you are looking for weather protection look for some other type.

As a trip cover it is very good and I will buy another should I ever need to. This thing wears very well and it will not scratch the bike no matter how windy it gets.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 11:23 pm

Thumbs up Won't shed the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadhouse
I've been looking (on-line) at the Geza Covers for the LT. Has anyone had any experience with this cover?

With thanks!

John
Once you get it on, it'll stay. I hauled my bike on an open trailer to the dealer once and it didn't blow off.

It will keep the dew off , but rain will go through it.

I doubt I'd buy one again since as mentioned before, it is a little pricey. I got mine in a package deal with some other items along with the cover here on this site.

It is a long lasting item to have and is tough and rolls up in it's own little bag.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 18 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:32 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The Geza is a good cover and fits well, but isn't waterproof and will eventually wear thin if you stretch it too far too many times. I got around 5 years of daily use out of mine, and would have bought another except for the non-waterproof thing.

I now use a Dowco Guardian half cover. Packs small and kept even Oregon rain off my bike. The price was good at under $40 and I have no complaints.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I now use a Dowco Guardian half cover. Packs small and kept even Oregon rain off my bike. The price was good at under $40 and I have no complaints.
Thanks, Meese . . . how's the Dowco cover compare with the EZ covers? Especially in terms of waterproof quality, lightweight, and compactness?

Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry . . .

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
post #9 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 10:43 am

I considered the Dowco, but I read an evaluation of the Nelson-Rigg half cover. I've been using it on my bike for several years now and it's really decent. It cost $40 new, is waterproof, is easy to deploy, packs small, has ties to hold it down in the wind, and keeps prying eyes off my GPS. I will buy one again if anything ever happes to this one.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
post #10 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 1:27 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

+1 On Nelson Riggs.

Just Bought a Defender 2000 XXL and it is a dream, 65 to the door. I am going to look at the half cover come spring, and will probably get one. I have used their covers for 10 years and have never had a claim on the Lifetime Warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
I considered the Dowco, but I read an evaluation of the Nelson-Rigg half cover. I've been using it on my bike for several years now and it's really decent. It cost $40 new, is waterproof, is easy to deploy, packs small, has ties to hold it down in the wind, and keeps prying eyes off my GPS. I will buy one again if anything ever happes to this one.

Robin

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 2:53 pm

+2 on Nelson-Rigg. Love it - easy on, easy off, waterproof, not expensive. Packs up small and tight...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:11 pm

covering the LT up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Just Bought a Defender 2000 XXL and it is a dream, 65 to the door. I am going to look at the half cover come spring, and will probably get one. I have used their covers for 10 years and have never had a claim on the Lifetime Warranty.
Lee,

I have a Defender 2000 XXL too - got it for the ST (and it swims in the cover!) Anyway, here's the silly question: What do you do with the antenna?

First bike I've ever had that had an antenna!

Jon
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsd-tourteam
Lee,

I have a Defender 2000 XXL too - got it for the ST (and it swims in the cover!) Anyway, here's the silly question: What do you do with the antenna?

Jon
Here's how I worked this out with my Dowco Guardian. Remove the antenna (leave the mount in place), install the cover, and mark the area of the cover where the antenna will go through. Take the cover to an awning or boat cover shop and ask them to cut a slit lengthwise 3" or so. Have them reinforce the area around the slit and finish it with a hem. It's easy to install/remove. The cover goes over the antenna first and comes off last. Cost for mine was $10.00. I hoped it wouldn't void the warranty. The salesman at the motorcycle shop where I bought it told me it wouldn't. As luck would have it, I got to find out. The lower hem came apart. I called Dowco, told them what happened with the hem, and let them know the cover had been altered. No problem. I sent mine back and they sent me a brand new replacement. Took about a month. Bad thing was, the cover was 3 months old, but I had only been using it about 1 month. I would have been happy with a repair and the same cover returned, but they wouldn't do that. I considered having the boat cover shop fix the hem, but that probably would have voided the warranty.

The Dowco Guardian cover is the only one I've used. Fit was perfect. Finish seemed to be except for the hem problem. Dowco stood by their product without question. I'd buy another one. Unless it's a warranty replacement.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 6:40 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsd-tourteam
Lee,

Jon
I use a small bungee cord and bend it over and just arch it to the other side. No problems. It takes just a minuet but no big deal.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I use a small bungee cord and bend it over and just arch it to the other side. No problems. It takes just a minuet but no big deal.
Lee,

How do you keep the antenna down with the bungee? Wrap the bungee a few times around the antenna to hold it? My antenna has no knob or loop in the end. I did not think it was that flexible. (Don't want to break it!)

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I use the cover from Aerostitch...here is the ad:

"Small enough to take on all your road trips, the Ultralight Bike Cover packs into a self-storing pocket about the size of a pea (Almost). About half the size of the next smallest full-coverage cover because itís made from a thinner, lighter fabric. The strong opaque 1.1oz siliconized ripstop nylon is still plenty tough... itís widely used in parachutes, sailboat spinakers, kites and skysails. Keeps water and dust off your bike, too. For improving overnight security at the seediest, darkest motel parking lot (ďHey, what was that noise? Did you hear something?Ē), the self-storing pocket on the hem of the cover also doubles as a panic alarm holder to scare the pants off of whoever wants to take a peak at whatís below. Medium fits all sportbikes, standards, dual sports, and sport touring bikes with smaller windshields. The large size covers loaded GS1100ís, Gold Wings and other dreadnought sized machines. Stealth black. Has grommets."

I've used this cover on three motorcycles (two large cruisers and my LT). It's held up very well over the years, from Oregon coast howlers to West Texas dust storms. It was pricey when I bought it, and has only gone up...$117 now. But, it does pack into a very small package, and pretty much fits the LT. I just take the antenna off when I stop for the night and stick it on top of the LT's seat before I cover the bike.
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Cheap cover

I bouthg this cover from J.C. Whitney. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000316771/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000316771/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000316771

I had a Seamstress put in a Button hole for the antanna. It works great and is a perfict fit for my LT.

Jim
-------------------
2000 Canyon Red K1200LT (new to me)
1980 Susuki 850GL (given to my brother)
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Storage Cover for the LT

Have a Geza cover for my LT.
It's light, packs small, keeps things out of sight.
But, after extended use, the stretch gives out,
so it sags in the middle.
And it's not waterproof.

I prefer the EZ Touring Traveler.
It's a half cover that covers the top half of the bike
down below the seat.

http://eztouring.com/traveller.htm

Packs small and is waterproof.
Stays secure even in high winds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in