I recieved this today from a potential Buyer of my bike..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:18 am Thread Starter

I recieved this today from a potential Buyer of my bike.....

"Hi,
With thanks i acknowledge the receipt of your mail and the contents were well noted...I am happy it's still available for sale and price you placed is okay with me..I am prepared to offer you an extra 100$ to secure the sale to me.I am actually buying this for some gift for someone special to me and i have already arranged with my shipper for a pick-up at your location,ill handle the cost however..Pick-up will only be done when you have money in hands ok?

Please let me have your Full name ,Full Address including a phone number,so i can have my banker issue the payment and the form of payment will be a Check or Money Orders to be sent to you as quickly as possible.

Hope i can trust you on this sale Cause i am buying here online for the first time and i hope it goes well for us...And also i will be sending more than funds of what am buying due to the shipment cause i will want my private shipping agent to come for the pickup at you residence,Remember You will be sending the remaining funds to my shipping agent through via Western Union or Money Gram so he can come for pick up immediately Okay !!!!!

I await your mail later today with your Full Contact Details needed for Payment to be Issued..!!!!!!!
Best Regards........(Merry Xmas & Happy New Year In Advance)
Vincent"

Does anyone find this fishy??? It has my alarms going off like crazy....This guy emailed me about my bike wanting pictures so I sent him here. Then he emails back about the price which I told him. Then he sends me this email....The guys english is a little off to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:22 am
Cat Herder

Every time, and I repeat EVERY time a guy wants to to send something via WU something is fishy. period.

Now having said that. Why don't you string him along for a while? Let him spend some money, have him send you the check, !!!DO NOT CASH IT!!! Claim you never got the check ... That way he spends time with you and spends him money for sending stuff. AND if he is in the US and sends the check via USPS you can hand over the fraudulent check to the postmaster general. They usually go after them.
post #3 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Good answer I think I will. I told him to send me the check and after the Bank clears said funds then he could come pick up the bike. I only plan to have it Investigated.

post #4 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Had the same thing happen to me last month. Dude said the he would E-Mail me a check that i could print out a take to the bank. O yea first I had to download "HIS" program so I could print the check When I refused to do that and told him I would ONLY take a bank cashers check I never heard from him again.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:34 am

Garage
BUYER BEWARE!!!!

This fits the pattern of a classic scam!

"...I am prepared to offer you an extra 100$.. "

"I await your mail later today with your Full Contact Details needed for Payment to be Issued..!!!!!!!
Best Regards........(Merry Xmas & Happy New Year In Advance)
Vincent"

ANYBODY with offering extra money and then wanting a lot of your details is most likely involved in a phishing scam.

"Does anyone find this fishy???"

Yes, more like phishy!!!

I bet $1.00 "Vincent" lives in Nigeria...
post #6 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:37 am

I've heard of scams like this where they send you a money order for more money than you are asking for. You pay the money order into your bank account and are able to withdraw the funds the next day, so you believe that everything is legitimate. However, it takes your bank longer than just a day to have the money order completely processed, so after maybe 3 or 4 days your bank gets back to you with bad news. However by then you have already parted with your bike and paid the pickup person for doing it.

This sounds like a classic scam.

Last edited by mccodavj; Dec 16th, 2007 at 11:39 am. Reason: spelling errors
post #7 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:36 pm

"I am actually buying this for some gift for someone special to me..."

sure, people buy scarfs, diamonds, household appliance and even sports cars for gifts but LT as a gift...

No way!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:37 pm
Hog

Why don't you tell him you'd rather deal in person so you can punch him in the face. I don't know who would be gullible enough to believe a jerk like this.
Dave
post #9 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:44 pm

I love reading these scam proposals...entertaining at least. There must be a few out there that actually believe these are legitimate or why would they continue trying.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #10 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:46 pm
Super Moderator

An old saying in the selling market . . .

Cash talks bullshit walks . . .

For some reason we spend most of our lives as "buyers" - each and everyday and get little experiences as a seller - but when a scam comes our way where we might benefit as "sellers" we pause ever so slightly . . . there should be no pause or lack of recognition of a scam.

That reminds of an old saying - "if it looks like a fish . . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #11 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:06 pm
BDC

This is a well known scam in the UK and many people have been suckered by it.

The thieves send you a cheque for more than the value of the vehicle to cover shipping. You wire cash to the "shipping agent" via western union with the balance of funds to cover shipping.

A few days or even weeks later the cheque bounces and turns out to be bad. You never hear from the scammer again. He has pocketed your "shipping fee" which can run into thousands of pounds or dollars.

Don't even think about it.

Chris
post #12 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Thumbs down

Listen To Your Stomach. Major Scam. If You Get A Check Do Not Deposit It And Turn It Over To The Post Office
post #13 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 3:09 pm

I have been trying to sell a boat that I still have in Puerto Rico. I have received several "offers" like this. A few from "Nigerian Diplomats" that wanted to send me a cashiers check for 200K and in return I was to send them a refund for the balance (111k) to their swiss account via wire transfer. Apparently they are good at forging cashiers checks. And some people are falling for it.

http://tinyurl.com/yntky6

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #14 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 3:18 pm

I have a check for $10,000 sitting on the desk for the sale of my bike. The check was for $2000 more than the sale price. I was to deduct the cost of shipping and send him the rest. That was the last I heard from him.

DON
post #15 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 5:00 pm

There is nothing special about a cashiers check

I have one that is counterfeit and turned the other over to the local law endorsement. Banks will send them through and then charge you for the bad check and require that you replace the funds if they have been withdrawn. Don't waste time cashing them. Just call the bank that they are drawn upon and they can tell you quickly if the check is good or not.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 5:09 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

This is very fishy! This is a common scam that has been going on for awhile.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine selling a car on e-bay. She received a certified bank check from Harris bank of London, only problem Harris does not have a bank in London.
Good luck let us know how it turns out.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #17 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:13 pm

The full scoop.....

Saw this scam alot while owning a VW Westy Van. Read this for more info....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

Dave Dionne
Buffalo, NY

Dave Dionne
2000 BMW K1200LT: "Ghost Rider"
BMWMOA Member
LT - Buffalo Fire Dept.
Buffalo, NY
post #18 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Interesting,
After reading your post today I received the following Email concerning a Wii game I had on Craigs List:

Hello
Thanks for the mail , the price is okay by me and i am ready to
purchase from you immediately, I anticipate that the cashier check
will be sent via express mail.My address is Pompano Beach, FL
33076,United States and my cell number is 12019771209.
I will like to tell you that i will be paying with a cashier check
in us dollars and as for the moving my mover will come for the
pick up at your location upon your confirmation of receiving the
payment and i dont want you to look for any other buyer.i would have
love to come down for the pickup.But am not chance to do that now but
am satisfy with your your description of the item
I will like to read from you concerning this moving arrangement
before processing and sending the payment out to you.Your full information
is needed where the payment will be send to.
Full Name
Address
phone number.
Thanks for your co-operation, while awaiting your response.
Regards

Thanks for the post.
post #19 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Rip off? ? ?

Yah, been down that road with a car I sold last year. Sounds like the same guy. I didn't bother responding. I did eventually sell the car to a local lady whom dearly needed the vehicle and I felt really good about the whole deal. Nuff said. Good luck.

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:
post #20 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Yep... I work in a bank and have heard LOTS of scam stories like this. If the banker that you're dealing with knows what he's/she's doing, the check won't even be touched (figuratively) until at least some of the information on the check is verified.

I know that I wouldn't deposit it into one of my customer's accounts without some background checking. Then, *IF* it passed the checking (which I doubt it would), well, let us just say that the federal government has rules in place that allow banks to protect themselves from losses (and protect the customer, as well - Reg CC).

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #21 of 39 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 9:49 pm

It might be worth framing?

Every time I bid more than $100 for an audio tube on eBay, I get a second chance offering, external to eBay--even when I win the auction.

If you get a bogus check, send it to me. I'll send it to the bogus second chance offer and ask them to mail the difference in funds to my account. :-)

Huuum. Come to think of it, I should respond the the UK lottery that I seem to win, weekly.

Bob
post #22 of 39 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:39 am
Gold Supporter

Smile Scam

I had the same line of BS presented to me in 05 when I sold a used VW Camper...and rest assured, it is totally BS!!!!!!!! When you try to expose the creep, you will hear no more from him. Why do they do this...because there are trusting folks who actually fall for these scams albeit just a small percentage. Do not under any circumstances trust this.

Terry
post #23 of 39 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 3:23 am

As I was a fresh newbie on internet some years ago, I saw a HD RK almost brand new on eBay for I remember was $5k... I asked the seller why he offered such a low price for a $25k bike ? Never had answer. I guess that was my first encounter with scam.
Every time you may have some doubts, just offer to meet the person.

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
post #24 of 39 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Its funny too funny I received the same freakin email today but from a different guy....LMAO !!! Maybe these guys are going to buy the bike for each other ... LOL!! Freakin IDIOTS!
post #25 of 39 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:42 am
KIC

The Western Union Money orders look good. The cashiers checks look original..that scam is the same old scam.

A fishing buddy tried to sell his dump truck and received the same type of offer. top price and extra money to work with the "shipper".

Calmed him down and set in motion how he could verify the funds. He received 3 Western Union money orders and some extra money to expedite the transaction.

The MO's were forgeries and copies of MO's already cashed. When the guys contacted him, he told the guy that he couldn't complete the transaction since the FBI was holding the MO's as evidence in an "interstate fraud".

Ironically the same guy received a new one Saturday on a truck doghouse he was selling.

Nothing says I love you better than CASH !

( and use a counterfeit pen first !!)

As a Fraud Investigator, I still use a counterfeit pen when I sell anything and receive cash.

Remember.. kinda trust ( a little) ..but definitely verify !

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #26 of 39 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:26 am

Useless info

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
Nothing says I love you better than CASH !
Great advice. Now just convince the French authorities of that!

It is my understanding (correct me if wrong!) that paying more than €3000 in cash is illegal in France. That's about £2000 Sterling or $4000.

Just pussin' through.
post #27 of 39 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Old trick

A few years ago I was selling a Rolex on Ebay and had the same thing happen to me. I smelled a rotten fish and sure enough the check the guy sent me was bogus. I had not sent him the watch, but instead checked with the bank whose check it supposedly was. False. The bank contacted the FBI and sure enough this guy in MA had pulled this scam many times before, but not for this much money.

Long story short, I followed through on this and testified via video on this guy. With my story and that of other folks he pulled this on, he is now serving 10 years in a federal pen.

Hope he's happy (LOL)

Gene

Gene Sweeney

post #28 of 39 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Uhm, how do you spell F-R-A-U-D? This is classic. See if the FBI is intersted in this. Bust the SOB!!

NVRider
IBA #28356
2003 K1200LT
post #29 of 39 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 1:42 am

OK, this is getting boring but...

This happened to a very good friend of mine a couple of years ago, before it was well known that this was a scam.

He got a cashiers check for $8,000 for a $5,000 car. He, being the trusting soul he is, wired back the $3,000.

It took about two weeks for the counterfeit check to bounce around the banking system. Since the numbers on the bottom are phony, it takes about that long before your bank finds out there is no such bank that issued the check.

Needless to say, my friend lost $3,000.

Personally, I'd tell them OK, I'll do it. Then I'd wait for the check to come in with the instructions of where the refund is supposed to go. Then I'd turn all the info over to the FBI. I'm sure they'd love to have a shiny new counterfeit cashiers check.

You asked the right people before doing something that sounded odd. Look how many of us knew right away what this was about.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #30 of 39 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Anything that sounds too good to be true - is! This scam has been going on for a while and is documented in other forums.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #31 of 39 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:32 pm

It is all about the money. Seems to me if you work with your bank and make sure the payment is valid. And you don't have to sign over the title until you have the legitimate cash in your hand. He/She still has to pick up the bike. Really not like the Nigerian scam. You have enough safety escapes before closing the transaction.
post #32 of 39 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 2:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerberger
It is all about the money. Seems to me if you work with your bank and make sure the payment is valid. And you don't have to sign over the title until you have the legitimate cash in your hand. He/She still has to pick up the bike. Really not like the Nigerian scam. You have enough safety escapes before closing the transaction.
NO NO NO.

The cheque clears
You get the cash
You send the untrackable balance
The bike is released
You are happy

THEN the bank rejects the cheque and asks for the money back.

Just pussin' through.
post #33 of 39 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 9:55 am

Tell the guy to wire the check to the shippers and have them bring you CASH!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #34 of 39 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 8:00 pm

Thumbs down Super Scam

Stinks worse then a barrell of year old fish!
Stay away from sales like this!
post #35 of 39 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 8:30 pm

I'll save you some money: give me $1,500 and your bike.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #36 of 39 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Classical SCAM!

NVRider
IBA #28356
2003 K1200LT
post #37 of 39 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 9:16 pm
Gold Supporter

Seller beware!

Bank draft or certified funds only. Only after the check has cleared do you release the merchandise. Have him pay his freight charges you should pay nothing for him. If his check does not clear and you gave up the bike, he has your bike and you have nothing.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #38 of 39 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Well after calling the guy out the second time he has not emailed me anymore I guess I pissed him off. Oh well If I would have been desperate I may have took him up on it but seeing how im not well. My baby goes to a good home or does not go at all period.
post #39 of 39 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 7:40 pm

Looks like a carbon copy of the scams originating from West Africa (Nigeria and the Ivory Coast). These bozo's must have a literal language translator; if they had a clue as to how stupid their correspondences appear, you would think they would try to "sophisticate-up" their scam messages. Sadly, several people have been taken for substantial sums of money from these unscrupulous individuals. Tell this guy to take a long walk off a short pier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in