Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:54 am Thread Starter

Hi,

Just joined and having bought my first K1200LT and your kind forum told me to post my first thread, so here goes.

I am in sunny Dubai and ride a 2000 model in Met Black. It is a low mileage beast and having had a 2003 Rockster before it I feel the bike is a lot smoother but slightly heavier!!

My partner (Wifey) loves it and thats a good thing. Feel I should have kept the sports bike? as well but space and costs decided against.

Only problem so far is heated seats seem to on all the time (It is still 30 degrees C here so maybe its me?) and the fuel computer is reading half speeds or thereabouts and thus showing heavy fuel consumption. Anyone had this problem?. Local dealer has not serviced it and reluctant to touch bike which is a shame as its the only BMW dealer in Dubai!!

Bought it from a car dealer whos manager owned it and his garage maintained it. Was not expensive so took the chance. Maybe mad but not many old Beemers here. Wanted a new one but at 90k ( 26000 dollars) my car was cheaper than that so went for the cheaper option.

Roads here are crazy but the LT laps it up and is much safer after the Rockster. Can be very windy here and the big screens a bonus and makes a more pleasant place to ride out on longer journeys.

I bought a cover from BMW as the dust here is bad but it was too tight to fit bike? BMW dealer was confused as they supplied it but at £120 (240 dollars) I complained and he is sorting a refund. Wondered if anyone else had struggled with a cover as it stated K1200LT (99-04) on the cover but was made in China but had all the BMW numbers on it. Wondered if it was a bad copy as everything here is cloned!! Including Honda Engines (900 engines were found the other day, all bad copies ready to be fitted!!) Not Good.

Anyway, Hello to everyone and I hope to have a long and useful experience with your Forum and thank you for letting me join.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:46 am
cws

Garage
Welcome Jim.
Got it just in time for Xmas, eh! The good answers will come your way from the more technical minded, in the meantime have lots of fun, just like the rest of us!
Cheers from Sydney!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:15 am

Welcome to the forum,, hope you have many miles of trouble free riding from youe bike.
First thing though, buy a manual and try read through it as much as you can, gives you a sense of whats going on with your bike if any thing ever goes wrong with it and people on here give you advice on how to fix it.
Welcome again from North Carolina.

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 9:22 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowabarth
Only problem so far is heated seats seem to on all the time (It is still 30 degrees C here so maybe its me?) and the fuel computer is reading half speeds or thereabouts and thus showing heavy fuel consumption. Anyone had this problem?. Local dealer has not serviced it and reluctant to touch bike which is a shame as its the only BMW dealer in Dubai!!
If your BC shows only about half the speed you may have a US bike that was re-exported and maybe or maybe not only the speedo changed. The the BC shows miles instead of km and in terms of consumption it shows mpg instead of l/100km. As far as I know there is nothing that can be done short of replacing the BC.

Now as for the seats: if they are on, just unplug them. Thats easy enough, even I was able to do that, and my friends know what THAT means. Since your dealer is 'reluctant' to touch the bike anyhow you better learn to maintain it yourself. A shop that doesn't know what they are doing is a recipe for disaster and constant aggravation, and since you are past the initial warranty there is nothing to worry about that either.
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:56 am

Welcome aboard.
My seat was on all the time no matter what position the switch was in....
needed a new switch and all was well.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Talking Welcome Aboard Jim!

You will find tons of info on the LT right here just by searching for the keywords, but if that is not successful, ask away as you have done here, and someone will have an answer! It may not always be 100% correct, but hundreds of minds are much better than any one mind.

On the subject of the Seat Heat, do make sure that the rocker switches are in the CENTER OFF position!! This is something that has thrown many members into confusion when they first get their Bikes. It seems unnatural, but does work.

Good Luck with your new Luxo Tourer,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #7 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 3:39 pm

Hi, Jim. Welcome to the family. Can't help on the fuel reading, etc, butt do have a suggestion for a cover that fits the bike perfectly.

Click here and check out the Wanderer model. I've had one for seven years and zero issues. Great cover; takes up a very small space when stored; and easy to use. I think they handle international sales as well. Good luck.

BTW, what year is the Abarth?
post #8 of 18 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:23 pm

If I remember correctly, the seat's heater switch should be in the middle for OFF.

Bob
post #9 of 18 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 8:57 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Jim welcome! I am new to the site but not to BMW motorcycles. You will, as I have find this site extremely helpful. I can not believe that it took me so long to use it, I kick myself daily.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 18 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:14 am

Welcome. As someone else already said I would get the manual and learn to do your own maintenance. With a little care you will have a good reliable machine for years. Also if you use the search features on the site you will find a lot of information and answers to your questions. Looks like the rest of your questions have been answered but Welcome again.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #11 of 18 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Oh yes ... that seat switches had me frying for a while ... it is a rocker switch and one direction is hot and the other weld and the middle is off

Pity you are in Dubai ... I know the Dealer in Kuwait well and could maybe got you some assistance there.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #12 of 18 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 1:08 am Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks Guys your a God Send.

Tried the heat switch one way and then the other, never even thought middle would be off!!! Amazing what you learn everyday. The expression Weld is so true. I was going to cook my breakfast on the seat the other day.

Will try the shop for the cover as dust and sand from construction here a real pain even 3 floors underground in a car park. Its true that 70% of all the worlds fixed cranes are located in Dubai!!

Love the bike more each day and as its EID (Holidays) here for 3 days, traffic is low so I am out everyday and car is parked up.

Looking now for a good mechanic or garage to maintain it or maybe as you have suggested I get my hands dirty and learn how to take the plastics off!!

Its so hot here that 2 minutes of work is about all you can take without losing a stone of sweat. Car park is not air/con and all the hot exhaust gases from the apartments air/con is channelled into the car park to give you extra heat on top of the nominal 30 degrees in winter and up to 55 degrees in summer.

You ride in the winter here and park the bike up in summer, a bit wierd as I am from UK so its the wrong way round to me.

Now if I can get Air/Con fitted to the bike I might just ride it all year round, anybody know of a retro fit system
Just a thought........

Thanks again and I hope in a while I can start helping newbies myself if I ever master the bike and get the Cruise working I can attempt to know most of the options fitted to these bikes!!

I have ordered a manual and toolkit (missing) and now prepared to have a play.

Jim
post #13 of 18 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 7:48 am

I am curious ... what type of riding gear do you wear in that weather. I have been there last June and on the way to Abu Dhabi we stopped at a fuel station and man it was serious ... 54 C and that wind was scorching.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #14 of 18 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowabarth
Its so hot here that 2 minutes of work is about all you can take without losing a stone of sweat.
Well it's so cold here that I can't write in a straight line! I have the heating on full and still shivering. Thermometer shows 3C but hell of a wind chill.

I am comfortable on the bike down to freezing, but as you know in the UK they tend to only de-ice the main roads. For that reason I am picky about which days I take the bike out. Chickened out today as the road was all white and sparkly. :-)

Just pussin' through.
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:57 am

Welcome aboard, Jim! If you gotta do any maintenance on your scoot, try to wash it down real good before you disassemble. With the "talcum" powder sand you have it will be hard to keep it all out of the engine and other parts..

Anyhow, wishing and hoping for the best outcome with resolving these little issues on the bike. You'll love it.. Post often... always good to live/ride "vicariously" with friends around the world!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 18 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 4:03 pm

Hi, I am a newbie also. Haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was in college about 30+ years ago. Neighbor was moving and offered a 99 LT at a good price. The thing would qualify as a beautiful sculpture even if it was never ridden. Beautiful bike.

Decided I had better take an introduction safety class before I even took it out of the garage. Took a 3 day class and really learned a bunch (countersteer.... huh, I don't remember anything about that on my 1970 Honda 350CL).

Have been carefully riding around my neighborhood and going over to a nearby parking lot that is empty on Sundays. Have 200 miles in now and am starting to really enjoy the bike. Felt confident enough to take my wife, two up, for a trial ride on Sunday. In some respects the bike handles better with her on the back. I have been advised not to refer to her as ballast. With the extra weight I am able to flat foot at stops and the bike seems to turn quicker. I am impressed with the engineering on this bike. It is a long way from a 1970 Honda.

I have been reading this forum and many of my questions have been answered. You know, like that side stand smoke issue that causes a minor heart attack the first time.

Nice bike, nice forum. Thanks.
post #17 of 18 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Wink Welcome Aboard Mike!

Always good to see new members. Especially up here in the Pacific Nor Wet! Speaking of which, be sure to keep an eye on the "North West" Forum for local events in our little corner of the world.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #18 of 18 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Hi Again,

Great Forum, Just completed the cruise control check and it appears the clutch lever is at fault as it does not put the set light on!!

Is this a DIY fix or should I plead with the dealer to take a look as my previous thread stated hes not being helpful.

Managed to order spare key and Alarm fob from him so as I am spending money with them I might get them to fix the problem unless theres is more to the Cruise problem when the clutch lever is sorted.

Anyway it does not stop me riding the bike and today was a good day out.

Wife in UK so unrestricted pleasure and I made most of it.

Thanks again for the warm welcome to your forum.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in