Retail sales values? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Retail sales values?

What source is used to determine the value of these bikes, and does it allow for extras such as radar, XM, lights and other farkles?

We have over $9k in our recently purchased 99LT. Looking into the possibility of selling that at a loss, and getting a newer LT with all the accs already on it. Just have no idea what a fair market value is. Evidently, we paid quite a bit for the 99, put new M880 tires, Ohlin shocks and still looking at lights, armrests, skid plate, and a few other items. That still leaves us not having radar or XM radio.

It may end up costing as much as a much newer bike that already has everything. Don't want to jump from the pan into the fire, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 9:24 am

Blue Book Values

There are two sources for motorcycle (and cars, etc) prices that are commonly used. The NADA (Natl Automobile Dealers Assoc) and KBB (Kelly Blue Book). THe NADA is the classic blue book value and it is usually about $1 to 2K below KBB. Both are on the internet for you to look up.

I just checked your bike assuming it was a 1999 LT Custom (top of the line). The NADA gives a range from $5460 to $7180. The KBB gives a range from $6045 (trade in value) to $8830 (retail value).

When I recently bought my 2001 LT, I had made offers on at least 20+ bikes, in the middle of the NADA range, often quite a bit less than the owner's asking price. One guy really got indignant, but hey the market is what it is. Ended up with an '01 with 42K on it, kind of high mileage but I think these bikes are easily destined for 100K+.

Values are lower in the winter months, higher in the spring. And if you have a bunch of farkles on it, value will be more. I find when you're selling a bike though, farkles dont count that much.

And that's my 2C. Dan.
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 9:36 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
What source is used to determine the value of these bikes, and does it allow for extras such as radar, XM, lights and other farkles?

We have over $9k in our recently purchased 99LT. Looking into the possibility of selling that at a loss, and getting a newer LT with all the accs already on it. Just have no idea what a fair market value is. Evidently, we paid quite a bit for the 99, put new M880 tires, Ohlin shocks and still looking at lights, armrests, skid plate, and a few other items. That still leaves us not having radar or XM radio.

It may end up costing as much as a much newer bike that already has everything. Don't want to jump from the pan into the fire, however.
May I ask WHY you want to trade up? A 99 is as good as any of the bikes up to 04. If you trading up to a 05 and up then its different. Between 99 and 04 all that changed between the years is essentially colors. Yes, there are/were MINOR changes but nothing that would warrant going from a used 99 to a say used 03. This opinion is worth what you paid for it.

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:07 pm

02 and up have integrated brakes.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:56 pm

One more reason to keep the 99. IMHO

In my opinion you are too deep into it to trade now. Anyone willing to buy yours wants a bargain, anyone trying to sell to you his wants top dollar. Unless you find a private party that loves your bike, and another private party that must sell now you end up even deeper in the hole.

I have followed your posts. Yes I agree that you have now overspend on the bike, but on the other hand it should be a nice bike by now, and you still spend less than half of the price of a new one. Seems like its time to go riding and stop worrying. We all make less than stellar investments at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
02 and up have integrated brakes.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #6 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 5:28 pm

I beleive there was also a gear change in the FD so better acceleration worse gas mileage

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

I was just curious, before I spend more $$ getting parts for this.

We bought the Ohlins, got a great price with a link from this forum, thank you!

I think I may need the radar detector (I surely don't drive anywhere near this fast in my van), a quality GPS would be helpful, passenger armrests (I find it a bit un-nerving to have my SO sleeping on the back), COM system, still looking for a much needed aux head light system (not sure what yet), the skid plate, and a few other items. We have no garage, and a lot of work to do on this after the ice thaws.

I really have no problem eating $1500 or so, just the cost of learning about the bikes. I've now spent well over $115k on out of pocket medical expenses, and not much better off for having done so. The LT is a deal in comparison.

There is an 05 for sale in NJ, it has everything one could possibly imagine, already on it.

If it is going to end up costing us $11k+ to get what we need on this, I would rather sell this and buy one for $12-13k, that already has everything.

Just trying to make the most reasonable choice we can, based on what we now know, what we have, and what we would like to have. I don't want to put another $2500 in farkles, and find I could have bought a much newer bike, that already had all this stuff.

I guess if it hadn't need the tires and shocks, it would have been a decent purchase. Those two items there really put a damp$r on the deal. But, we had no idea.
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 6:26 pm

My suggestion is take your time buying farkles. Do not buy them new. If you absolutely must have something then you have no choice. You keep talking about needing... I don't see the NEED for any of the items that you mentioned really.

I have been riding my bike for almost three years without any of those items and am lacking nothing. I find a GPS is a nice to have item but not a necessity. A radar detector is also a nice to have. I have never had one, will probably never buy one and don't desire one. As far as aux. lighting is concerned, why don't you upgrade your headlamps both low and high beam to HID.. You can do that for less then 100.00 for each system. You can install it yourself and you should have all the light you will need. I compared my HID low beam to my friends PIA 1100X aux. lights and mine are brighter and very visible. You can also add reflectors for low dollars as well.

The arm rests would also be a nice to have but I think in your case, if your wife is going to fall asleep in the back, you would want them.

I wouldn't spend any more money on your bike then you already have.
post #9 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 6:44 pm

I don't recall how many miles are on your 99. I think you would be lucky to get 8,500 out of it, would be best to wait till spring to lose the least. Farkles don't usually bring a whole lot when you go to sell it. I would just keep it if I were you. It should serve many great miles for you. If the 05 doesn't have aftermarket shocks you will want them after you have ridden with them. If you decide to sell it, I would take the Ohlins off and sell them or put them on the new one. Or sell them to me if the new one have aftermarket shocks.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:02 pm

HID for less than $100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
My suggestion is take your time buying farkles. Do not buy them new. If you absolutely must have something then you have no choice. You keep talking about needing... I don't see the NEED for any of the items that you mentioned really.

I have been riding my bike for almost three years without any of those items and am lacking nothing. I find a GPS is a nice to have item but not a necessity. A radar detector is also a nice to have. I have never had one, will probably never buy one and don't desire one. As far as aux. lighting is concerned, why don't you upgrade your headlamps both low and high beam to HID.. You can do that for less then 100.00 for each system. You can install it yourself and you should have all the light you will need. I compared my HID low beam to my friends PIA 1100X aux. lights and mine are brighter and very visible. You can also add reflectors for low dollars as well.

The arm rests would also be a nice to have but I think in your case, if your wife is going to fall asleep in the back, you would want them.

I wouldn't spend any more money on your bike then you already have.

Where do you find HID systems for less than $100, I've been looking for these but not having much luck? Can you post a link to the vendor?

Thanks

Kimo

'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #11 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk
Where do you find HID systems for less than $100, I've been looking for these but not having much luck? Can you post a link to the vendor?

Thanks
There are several - I have purchased 8 sets from cqlights and have had great luck.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #12 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:42 pm

farkleizing

Last year I bought a 03 LT-E. I think the E= everything but the kitchen sink, , , and I think if I looked hard enough I would probably find that too. That being said, the only thing I use consistantly, is the cruise control, the radio, and the computer to see how cold it is. Now that we have a foot of snow on the ground it sits and we wait - - - - impatiently. But, the moisture is needed here much worse than my pleasure of riding. But, all this is dependant on each individual's desires. I got a pretty good deal on mine at A&S. A Winter time deal that saved me some $$.
As far as values, I've always used Kelley Blue Book or NADA. And generally selling price somewhere between private partey and wholesale. Although trying to sell things this past year have been "interesting".

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:

Last edited by comstocklt; Dec 16th, 2007 at 7:52 pm.
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:14 pm

The crash pan is a necessity. I can't imagine there is much demand for them in the used market--should be cheap to get one?

Passenger arm rests are an after market on any LT.

Other than having to make sure your battery doesn't hit almost dead, because of the defective designed starter relay, not much reason to get another bike, unless you go newer than 05. Even then, you won't have the after market shocks you have now.

On my 00, its easy to drain out the old brake fluid an run new fluid through it--same with your 99.

I still remember a college professor exclaiming over and over again, sunk costs are irrelevant to current market price.

Bob
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:37 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
I was just curious, before I spend more $$ getting parts for this.

We bought the Ohlins, got a great price with a link from this forum, thank you!

I think I may need the radar detector (I surely don't drive anywhere near this fast in my van), a quality GPS would be helpful, passenger armrests (I find it a bit un-nerving to have my SO sleeping on the back), COM system, still looking for a much needed aux head light system (not sure what yet), the skid plate, and a few other items. We have no garage, and a lot of work to do on this after the ice thaws.

I really have no problem eating $1500 or so, just the cost of learning about the bikes. I've now spent well over $115k on out of pocket medical expenses, and not much better off for having done so. The LT is a deal in comparison.

There is an 05 for sale in NJ, it has everything one could possibly imagine, already on it.

If it is going to end up costing us $11k+ to get what we need on this, I would rather sell this and buy one for $12-13k, that already has everything.

Just trying to make the most reasonable choice we can, based on what we now know, what we have, and what we would like to have. I don't want to put another $2500 in farkles, and find I could have bought a much newer bike, that already had all this stuff.

I guess if it hadn't need the tires and shocks, it would have been a decent purchase. Those two items there really put a damp$r on the deal. But, we had no idea.
The upgrades to the 05 ARE worth the extra money. Even better if it has GPS, intercom etc... You'll love the power centerstand.

I say sell the 99 and go for it!!!

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #15 of 19 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 7:43 am

If you need HID lighting see this http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22443 I believe you can still get them for $75, just follow directions in the thread.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #16 of 19 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

I looked and almost bought the HID, until I read a number of posts stating their lights had to be held in place with tape, silicone and some other gadgets.....then, someone that had one, wasn't pleased and that was the end of my looking at the HID.

I am sure there are many that were properly installed and are well appreciated. Not knowing enough to want to take that section of the bike apart and get stuck having to call for help, I went with the add on aux lights. If I can't see with the Motolights, factory HB and a set of AUX lights, I best not be on the road.

Had two PIAA bulbs installed, the HB was worse than the H3 that had been removed, so I put that back in. Left the LB PIAA ($50) in. Couldn't be any worse than what it replaced.

I ordered the skid plate this AM. Other than the much needed passenger arm rests (I am not leaving on any trip without those), that is about going to do it for any more additions to this LT.

Used Muddimans were $220 shipped. Not sure what if any warranty issues would be of any concern. Anyone has a set they are interested in selling, or G&G's, PM me please.
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Quote:
I looked and almost bought the HID, until I read a number of posts stating their lights had to be held in place with tape, silicone and some other gadgets.
That only applies to the high beam. Dipped beam is a doddle. Like for like replacement, you could even do it without taking the nose off, although I did mine that way so I could stow the ballasts neatly.

Given a repeat, I would probably not do the high beam due to the butchery involved, although a spare lampholder soons sorts it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballasts.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	15677  

Just pussin' through.
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

My biggest problem doing any wrenching any more is having to use trifocals. I have to take off the glasses for really close up, then, the progressive lenses are very difficult to use, since needing the lowest part of the lens to see when having to look up at something, especially in tight areas, is nearly impossible. The range of vision changes about every 8-10" or so. I would need a set of reversed lenses, so I could look up and see what I am working on. Having four sets of glasses for just about every need so as it is, I can barely keep track of where I left those...... It is most frustrating!
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Quote:
My biggest problem doing any wrenching any more is having to use trifocals. I have to take off the glasses for really close up, then, the progressive lenses are very difficult to use, since needing the lowest part of the lens to see when having to look up at something, especially in tight areas, is nearly impossible. The range of vision changes about every 8-10" or so. I would need a set of reversed lenses, so I could look up and see what I am working on. Having four sets of glasses for just about every need so as it is, I can barely keep track of where I left those...... It is most frustrating!
I should'nt laugh but I also have the progressive lenses and know EXACTLY what you mean.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in