Observations While I De-PMS'ed Today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 1:28 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Observations While I De-PMS'ed Today

Noticed a few things while I got rid of some PMS in balmy 28 degree Pennsatucky. I may be lugging my bike. Here is why I think that.

It is ever so happy 3400-4200 RPM, 45-60ish MPH, 3rd gear, in the back roads. Gas mileage ran steady 42 which is good for me so far, and the bike seemed really happy there, and did everything I asked it to do.

Also 4200-5400ish RPM, 60/80ish MPH, 4th gear, highway, it again was just really happy also. When should I use 5th gear. Honestly it seems I get better mileage running in the 4000-6000 RPM range.

Is this right?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Noticed a few things while I got rid of some PMS in balmy 28 degree Pennsatucky. I may be lugging my bike. Here is why I think that.

It is ever so happy 3400-4200 RPM, 45-60ish MPH, 3rd gear, in the back roads. Gas mileage ran steady 42 which is good for me so far, and the bike seemed really happy there, and did everything I asked it to do.

Also 4200-5400ish RPM, 60/80ish MPH, 4th gear, highway, it again was just really happy also. When should I use 5th gear. Honestly it seems I get better mileage running in the 4000-6000 RPM range.

Is this right?
I do not hit fifth until I am on the highway at a steady speed and the cruise set. I will take it up to whatever speed in fourth and put it in fifth and hit resume.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:02 pm

People should not be able to post if they ride past December that should be a rule! It's too depressing for people with long lanes that are always frozen and the roads are salted and what not to ride. Maybe I should consider getting a sidecar for my 1100LT instead of a new truck. I wonder how good it would go in this crappy weather.

As for shifting, I shift to 5th at 70 on my 2000, except in the curves. That is on my speedo without the fix so it is probably somewhere around 63. I do slow down a bit for the police just to make sure. That's where the Valentine comes in handy. I'm not sure what the ratio is on your final drive but I think yours is slower.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Cat Herder

You mean I should NOT tell you we had a nice RTE this weekend, and the 500 miles I did were really great? Or that I came back with a smile?

Hmmmm

OK, I don't tell then. *chuckles and leaves the room to get a beer*
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 9:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
People should not be able to post if they ride past December that should be a rule! It's too depressing for people with long lanes that are always frozen and the roads are salted and what not to ride. Maybe I should consider getting a sidecar for my 1100LT instead of a new truck. I wonder how good it would go in this crappy weather.

As for shifting, I shift to 5th at 70 on my 2000, except in the curves. That is on my speedo without the fix so it is probably somewhere around 63. I do slow down a bit for the police just to make sure. That's where the Valentine comes in handy. I'm not sure what the ratio is on your final drive but I think yours is slower.
What Neil said!!!!!
I was just waxing the thought of my younger days when our dead end street would be covered in ice (as it is NOW!!!)-I'd slap on my leathers ,fire up my Kaw F7 185-backwards, sideways-whatever- what fun!!!!
Then I laughed out loud of that image on an LT

Now-oddly-Uncle Rock comes to mind

Mike
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:07 am

Quote:

Sorry guys, no can do, it snowed and sleeted a little here yesterday, but it's gorgeous out right now and I'm off to the mountains. Ta-Ta

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:20 am

John-
You know we'd love to ride with ya..........as long as you continue ya'alls very gracious waiting for me to catch up-have fun in the mountains!!!!

Mike
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
You mean I should NOT tell you we had a nice RTE this weekend, and the 500 miles I did were really great? Or that I came back with a smile?

Hmmmm

OK, I don't tell then. *chuckles and leaves the room to get a beer*
Yes, I know how nice it is in Texas. My brother rubs it in everytime he calls.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Quote:
People should not be able to post if they ride past December that should be a rule!
Stay out of the south forums to keep at bay the winter doldrums. Whatever you do, don't read about our New Year's Day run!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:37 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I still got a bunch of riding to do yet.

Probably ride Tuesday to Friday this week. Looks like we are over to rain now after ice/sleet over night and this morning.

Wont chance tomorrow morning but Tuesday I am in. Supposed to be sunny and 30 something tomorrow. That will be enough to dry the Interstates and I am only a couple blocks off a ramp.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Stay out of the south forums to keep at bay the winter doldrums. Whatever you do, don't read about our New Year's Day run!!!
I'll be down there in June for his wedding. If I ride its going to have to be straight through. Plane tickets to San Angelo are around $400, then another hour or so to Sonora. I think I can cut a few hours off the 22 hours Mapquest says it is.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:00 pm

It's ashame when 28 balmy degrees sounds like good riding weather! Got out yesterday here in PA! 29 degrees and warmed into the 30's! Nice to be riding even with all the cinders, etc. on the road. Nice cure for PMS. My 05 seems to like it, she likes the rpms up also. Don't use 5th until highway speeds.
All I want for Christmas are dry roads!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in