Ideal length of 9/16 hex stock is? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Ideal length of 9/16 hex stock is?

I am going to see if I can find a machine shop to buy the hex stock for the 9/16 for the trans drain. Just wondered what length it should be, and if the exact length allows to drain without having to remove the exhaust hanger? I don't have the skid plate.

Auto zone did have a listing for the 14mm, 3 pc kit, but they have not had one in stock that I have seen, AND, the guy wouldn't order it? That was a 50 mile drive.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 6:35 pm

a bolt with two nuts is perfect in length. I just welded one on the end. You will still need to remove the exhaust hanger and skidplate.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 8:07 pm

For an inexpensive and quick build-it-yourself tool, take your 14mm socket with you to home depot, loew's etc. Find the rack with a selection of continuous threaded rod and look for the hex-shaped connector for joining two pieces of threaded rod. Even though they are imperial sized you will find one that is very close to 14mm. (check by putting it in the socket). The connectors are approximately 1 1/2" long and will fit in the socket, yet protrude far enough to seat in the recess in the transmission drain plug. If you wish to make it a little stronger thread a bolt (loctite on the bolt) through the connector and flush cut both ends. Works and cheap - you may have to grind the end of the connector flat before use as both ends are slightly chamfered and may slip in the drain plug recess. Grinding the end flat will make it look much like an allen key.

Steve Collier
'05 KLT

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I am going to see if I can find a machine shop to buy the hex stock for the 9/16 for the trans drain. Just wondered what length it should be, and if the exact length allows to drain without having to remove the exhaust hanger? I don't have the skid plate.

Auto zone did have a listing for the 14mm, 3 pc kit, but they have not had one in stock that I have seen, AND, the guy wouldn't order it? That was a 50 mile drive.

Thank you!
Hey, Wayne - when you gonna do the tranny drain thang? Soon??

I gotta extry 14mm drain plug socket thangie - don't want any shekels for it (unless you want overnight delivery, then reimburse me for that) - shoot me your snail mail addy by PM or e-mail and I'll put it in the delivery system tamale. K??
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I don't have the skid plate.
You do want a skid plate. Long story short, trying to ride up a ramp on my 99 without the skid plate, the bottom part of the center stand got caught and yanked off. Problem is that the center stand mounts are part of the transmission casing!!!
A skid plate would have saved me a lot of trouble!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Whew, more stuff to put on the list.......

Not planning on doing the trans fluid till about May, if I live that long. Appreciate the offer!! I should be able to handle that problem.

The LT is officially snowed in, and probably will be now till April. No garage and the ice stays in the driveway long after the streets are clear.

Seeing how much difficulty it has been finding what I do need, I figured I better get started now.

I rationalized by not not having the skid plate, it gave me a little more clearance...plus, someone rode it for 40k miles and I don't see any damage....... but, now I have to see if I can find one of those too.

Last month was new tires and brakes. So far this week, we've spent a whopping $1800...........shocks, headset, tools, service manual. Still NEED aux lights, switch, mirrors, skid plate, the PS DVD#4, a Valentine 1, a jack for the front shock replacement, some misc farkles and another 0%'r to help pay for it all.

"Another day older and deeper in debt!"
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 9:56 am

Sometimes "buying new" has advantages.

If you get one of the "all thread" rod "connectors" in 9/16 you'll probably find it fits the 14mm nicely.

However, what I did... silly me... was go to an "industrial" bolt shop. They sell individual tools. So, got a 14mm HEX wrench, took it home, used my Dremel "cut-off" blade to hack the wrench into several pieces... works perfect.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:03 am

Wayne, if you need a skid plate Tony has several listed here http://www.ltparts.com/products.php?cat=24

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 12:53 pm

Red Locktite

Has anyone successfully done the '2 nuts + bolt' thing using Red Locktite??

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 1:15 pm

The idea of using an extra long 9/16 nut (officially they are called a coupling nut in USA) is a good one.
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_k1200lt
Has anyone successfully done the '2 nuts + bolt' thing using Red Locktite??
I saw a few in NC. I just decided to weld mine. I'll see if i can take a picture and post it tonight. If you're worried about it not holding use JB-Weld.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 2:30 pm

I use a standard 14mm socket allen. I stick it in the plug and use an open end wrenck to turn it.

Works great.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in