Drinks holder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Drinks holder

I,m thinking about buying the drinks holder from bmw for my LT.
Is it worth the money.?
It,s an idea of the wife,s for my xmas present, as i,m getting a bit pissed off with socks and undies and other crap i normally receive from santa.

04 your 05
Graphite in Blighty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:28 pm

Wink Depends

On if you have $109.00 laying around that you don't want to do anything else with. Personally I can't see it... I just got a RAM Cup holder and mirror hole mount and put mine in there. only cost half as much and the cup holder "floats".

http://65.102.174.119/rammount/produ...erm=cup&item=1

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:41 pm

Smile

I love mine and use it all the time.

post #4 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:58 pm

Looks much better than it works. Works best while bike stationary, works ok while in motion. Nothing holding the drink so better not be on a bumpy road.

Looks good tho'

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #5 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:20 pm

I use mine on each and every trip with the LT. Period! At the time I bought mine, I also bought the specially-designed stainless cup that went with it. The cup locks into the holder, and bumpy roads are not an issue.

I have a BMW cup holder that I'm going to list on the Classifieds forum. It looks good, but it does not close. I bought it that way. I gave it to my cheapskate brother as a trial to see if he'd actually want a new one. After using it a few weeks, a found him a used one that worked for $90. So, this one's going to be on sale for the $60 that I paid for it. Shipping included.
post #6 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:46 pm

Why does it not close?? Broke??
post #7 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:50 pm

Yep...It stays open and functions as is, no problem. But it does not stay closed. It closes, just doesn't latch.
post #8 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:35 pm

I have the BMW cup holder and it has worked perfectly since the day I bought it. It also folds out of the way nicely. After spending over 20 grand on a fully loaded 05' LT, I din't see why 100 bucks for a drink holder was any problem..

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #9 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:40 pm

Yea...but you're RICH! And SNOBBY!
post #10 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:42 pm

I use mine all the time. It is an odd size opening but you can find aluminum cups that will fit it. I also use foam wraps for cans that provide a snugger fit. When I do not have a drink in it I use it to hold my camera for a quick shot along the way.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #11 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:51 pm

Just a thought. I put a left side shelf on my BMR shelf and attached a Ram ball mount in the center. I then have a point where I can attach the Ram drink holder which works well, or my Ram Ipod case or a video camera mount. The cup I use has a screw top so I can seal it, the top is fashioned so a gloved hand can unscrew the lid enough to drink and the handle is large enough so a gloved hand can hold it. So the setup is multipurpose and less expensive than the BMW cup holder. Of course you need the BMR shelf first.
Hope this helps.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #12 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:55 pm

My cup holder is also used whenever I ride. I have an open face helmet and I keep a bottle of water (cap off) in the drink holder and regularly take a sip while I ride. It also work well with most soft drinks from the fast food places. Have never regretted getting is. I don't like the feeling of a camel back.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #13 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 5:51 pm

I just strap my camel back to the back seat.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #14 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
I just strap my camel back to the back seat.
No good for coffee though. And I gots to have MY JAVA!!! I also strap my 100oz. CamalBak behind me...but that's for agua.

Last edited by messenger13; Dec 3rd, 2005 at 6:01 pm.
post #15 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:00 pm

Question Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
No good for coffee though. And I gots to have MY JAVA!!! I also strap my 100oz. CamalBak behind me...but that's for aqua.
Joe, If my Spanish is correct, aqua is a color, agua is something you drink..

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:03 pm

Cool tit for tat

...and if my English is correct, SWEETPEA is spelled with 3 'E's!
post #17 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:41 pm

LOL!!! Nothing could be closer to the truth!

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #18 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:50 pm

Ya gotta love someone who can laugh! So much for BMW cupholder bashing . . . these guys are serious!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #19 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:58 pm

:d

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #20 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 7:44 pm

I use a $4.00 autozone cup holder attached to my tank bag.
Added velcro to adjust size of bottle it holds.
Sets the drink container of choice right in your lapp

Scott
Attached Images

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #21 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:06 pm

Sssssssh. We need to keep that in the other thread.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:20 pm

Spence,

Would you be able to post a pic of your cup holder on the LT? I have been considering this solution since an extra ram mount point will also come in handy when the cup holder is not using it.

Thanks
Tim
post #23 of 36 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:27 pm

I have the BMW cup holder. I can't believe I paid so much for it, but I would buy it again.
post #24 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:46 am

Has anyone found a cup that will fit in the BMW cup holder AND can be modified easily to drink from a straw (no jokes please! LOL!)? I wear an Arai Quantum/f full-face helmet and have thought about having the cup/cupholder arrangement for java etc., but wasn't sure what cup/straw set-up would work.

Gregg L.
'05 LT, Lt Metallic Yellow (of course)
Southeast PA
post #25 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:57 am

Hi, Gregg - check out a Starbucks shoppe. If they have a varied stock of mugs, do a trial fit in the holder to see which one works. I've got one, butt don't know what model it is. It appears to be brushed aluminum; does not have a handle; does have a twist-open/close lid that can be opened just enough to insert a straw, or wide open for 'chug-a-lugging'!! HTH
post #26 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT05RT04
Has anyone found a cup that will fit in the BMW cup holder AND can be modified easily to drink from a straw...
Gregg...I would think that finding a cup that fits well into the cupholder, and having a screw-on/off lid would be your biggest concerns. Once you find that, getting a straw to work is a pice-of-cake. Find the straw that you want to use, then drill a hole right through the lid, just a hair larger than the o.d. of the straw. Then, install two o-rings on the straw...one above the lid, one below. Those should hold the straw in place and help seal it up too.

HTH
post #27 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:23 pm

Wink Pic for Tim

Here's the pic of mine. The arm is too short so I have a longer one on order to get it in between the bars where I want it... But you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cupholder.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1022  

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #28 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 7:30 pm

A cup holder for a bottle of water does me no good on my 05....the wobble takes over the handle bars if I let go of them.......just my $.02...

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #29 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 7:34 pm

Talking Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderup1
A cup holder for a bottle of water does me no good on my 05....the wobble takes over the handle bars if I let go of them.......just my $.02...
Could come in handy for cleaning off those pesky bugs all over your face shield!
post #30 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 8:27 pm

Hi, Dick:
Quote:
Hi, Gregg - check out a Starbucks shoppe. If they have a varied stock of mugs, do a trial fit in the holder to see which one works. I've got one, butt don't know what model it is. It appears to be brushed aluminum; does not have a handle; does have a twist-open/close lid that can be opened just enough to insert a straw, or wide open for 'chug-a-lugging'!!
Goodness! How could you be so cruel as to suggest to anyone so young and innocent as Gregg to chug-a-lugg the industrial solvent Starbucks sells? Why if that were a common practice, there would be puddles of solvent and organic residue all around the outside of Starbucks everywhere left as the corrosive burned through the poor victim right to the ground. IMO all Starbucks locations should be designated Super Fund Sites and only OSHA certified hazmat teams be allowed in. (Of course the Starbucks habit explains a lot of the behaviors of youngsters, west coast nutcases and grizzled old West Texicans)

Smooooth Sippin Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #31 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Hi, Dick:

(Of course the Starbucks habit explains a lot of the behaviors of youngsters, west coast nutcases and grizzled old West Texicans)

Smooooth Sippin Karl
That Starbucks habit, just like you said, provides solvent tasting and java wasting, in addition to OSHA job security; butt, it sure is good for the bottom line of my portfolio, Karl.

While I only imbibe on Fridays, I do quietly chant *y'all's Machiatto a day let's me and Toad play*!!

BTW - I left it up to Gregg what he wanted to stash in the *$$ mug and sip thru a straw --- not sure I'd encourage the Machiatto bit there, butt the chant still applies!!
post #32 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:38 pm

I also made my own out of a cup I had on hand and some velcro. It' great because the cup is gib enough to catch any spills and will fit a soda can to a Venti Starbucks. Just stick any velcro on a tank bag. Mine was basiclly free.

Dave Lancello
Indianapolis Indiana
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
2003 K1200LTE
2006 Harley Street Rod
post #33 of 36 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 7:49 pm

Hi, Dick:
Quote:
That Starbucks habit, just like you said, provides solvent tasting and java wasting, in addition to OSHA job security; butt, it sure is good for the bottom line of my portfolio, Karl.

While I only imbibe on Fridays, I do quietly chant *y'all's Machiatto a day let's me and Toad play*!!

BTW - I left it up to Gregg what he wanted to stash in the *$$ mug and sip thru a straw --- not sure I'd encourage the Machiatto bit there, butt the chant still applies!!
Hmmm, not just a little bit mercenary are we?

Besides, you've ducked the comment on grizzled old West Texicans!

Track Keepin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #34 of 36 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Hi, Dick:

Besides, you've ducked the comment on grizzled old West Texicans!

Track Keepin' Karl
Oh yeah - about the comment on grizzled old West Texicans!! Well, ya know - I just hate to talk about Grif, when he's not on campus for rebuttal. Course, that boy don't drink much of that industrial compound caffeine, so my portfolio suffers a leetle bit cuz of that, butt - he do make up for it at Hooters when it comes time to waste some chicken arms!! That side of the ledger gits a good jolt 'bout once a month!!

Best
post #35 of 36 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 12:30 am

Here is what I"m using. Just trying to figure out how to install the mike for the BC3 though

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thirst4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1046  

Ed Bruce
post #36 of 36 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 12:28 pm

The BMW cup holder is a bit over priced but I love mine. I originally bought mine for the giggle factor, it makes a nice finale to push the button at the completion of a tour of the LT features. I got my moneys worth just watching my friends reactions. I also find it very usefull as a cup holder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in