BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Drinks holder

4K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  mjordans2000 
#1 ·
I,m thinking about buying the drinks holder from bmw for my LT.
Is it worth the money.?
It,s an idea of the wife,s for my xmas present, as i,m getting a bit pissed off with socks and undies and other crap i normally receive from santa.

04 your 05
Graphite in Blighty

#2 ·
#5 ·
I use mine on each and every trip with the LT. Period! At the time I bought mine, I also bought the specially-designed stainless cup that went with it. The cup locks into the holder, and bumpy roads are not an issue.

I have a BMW cup holder that I'm going to list on the Classifieds forum. It looks good, but it does not close. I bought it that way. I gave it to my cheapskate brother as a trial to see if he'd actually want a new one. After using it a few weeks, a found him a used one that worked for $90. So, this one's going to be on sale for the $60 that I paid for it. Shipping included.

#8 ·
I have the BMW cup holder and it has worked perfectly since the day I bought it. It also folds out of the way nicely. After spending over 20 grand on a fully loaded 05' LT, I din't see why 100 bucks for a drink holder was any problem.. :D

#10 ·
I use mine all the time. It is an odd size opening but you can find aluminum cups that will fit it. I also use foam wraps for cans that provide a snugger fit. When I do not have a drink in it I use it to hold my camera for a quick shot along the way.

#11 ·
Just a thought. I put a left side shelf on my BMR shelf and attached a Ram ball mount in the center. I then have a point where I can attach the Ram drink holder which works well, or my Ram Ipod case or a video camera mount. The cup I use has a screw top so I can seal it, the top is fashioned so a gloved hand can unscrew the lid enough to drink and the handle is large enough so a gloved hand can hold it. So the setup is multipurpose and less expensive than the BMW cup holder. Of course you need the BMR shelf first.
Hope this helps.

#12 ·
My cup holder is also used whenever I ride. I have an open face helmet and I keep a bottle of water (cap off) in the drink holder and regularly take a sip while I ride. It also work well with most soft drinks from the fast food places. Have never regretted getting is. I don't like the feeling of a camel back.

#15 ·
Aqua

messenger13 said:
No good for coffee though. And I gots to have MY JAVA!!! I also strap my 100oz. CamalBak behind me...but that's for aqua.
Joe, If my Spanish is correct, aqua is a color, agua is something you drink.. ;) :p

#21 ·
Sssssssh. We need to keep that in the other thread. :p

#22 ·
Spence,

Would you be able to post a pic of your cup holder on the LT? I have been considering this solution since an extra ram mount point will also come in handy when the cup holder is not using it.

Thanks
Tim

#24 ·
Has anyone found a cup that will fit in the BMW cup holder AND can be modified easily to drink from a straw (no jokes please! LOL!)? I wear an Arai Quantum/f full-face helmet and have thought about having the cup/cupholder arrangement for java etc., but wasn't sure what cup/straw set-up would work.

#25 ·
Hi, Gregg - check out a Starbucks shoppe. If they have a varied stock of mugs, do a trial fit in the holder to see which one works. I've got one, butt don't know what model it is. It appears to be brushed aluminum; does not have a handle; does have a twist-open/close lid that can be opened just enough to insert a straw, or wide open for 'chug-a-lugging'!! :D HTH

#26 ·
LT05RT04 said:
Has anyone found a cup that will fit in the BMW cup holder AND can be modified easily to drink from a straw...
Gregg...I would think that finding a cup that fits well into the cupholder, and having a screw-on/off lid would be your biggest concerns. Once you find that, getting a straw to work is a pice-of-cake. Find the straw that you want to use, then drill a hole right through the lid, just a hair larger than the o.d. of the straw. Then, install two o-rings on the straw...one above the lid, one below. Those should hold the straw in place and help seal it up too.

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.