Questions about the Corbin Smuggler - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Question Questions about the Corbin Smuggler

I am thinking of getting a Corbin Smuggler but I see on the Corbin website that they will only work with *one* antenna. Has anyone heard of anyone getting it to fit on with *two* antennas? If so: How tough was it and what needed to be done, to make it work?
TIA for any information you might have on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 9:18 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Coni:

I am not aware of anyone that has done the two antenna with the Smuggler. It dopesn't mean it can't be done.

Another solution is to put the CB antenna on the left side and use a Hide-a-Way powerd AM/FM antenna for the radio.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 9:31 am

The Smuggler appears to be built out of fiberglass and has a nice finish - I'd bet it would be tough to cut away the other side of the trunk to make room for an antenna baseplate. But, what you might consider, is to simply place an extender on the existing antenna base to permit a mount for both antennas on the same side. I would imagine you could solve this problem in about five minutes in a hardware store.

I've never seen a Smuggler up close, so I may just be talking out my ass here... I'm very disappointed in Corbin quality. I've had two brand new seats on a GS and an LT and while I love the comfort of the seats, I'm sorely disappointed in the build quality and customer service. Has anybody here used one for any length of time?

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:41 am
Super Moderator

The Smuggler is formed with a "cutout" on the left side (if standing behind the bike) to allow the antenna mount to be there. On the right side is is formed flush with the edge above the saddlebag and leaves no space for the second antenna. Raffy's idea on solving this problem is a very good one.

Another thing to be aware of is that while it looks good you don't gain much storage space. IIRC the Smuggler will only carry 1-2 liters more stuff than the stock trunk, which is far less than what you could strap to the back seat (which you lose in the process) or the top rack in a stock confguration. Also the storage space isn't conducive to "1-bag packing", i.e., you can get a single duffel that will utilize the space, and you certainly can't get a mid to large size packed bag into it. You would have to use several smaller containers to fill up the space. If this is for your "day ride" LT that may not be a big deal, but for multi-day rides (you don't do those much, do you? ) it could be. Bob Rasters solved the problem by mounting a HD sidecar luggage rack on top of his Smuggler and he straps a large BMW waterproof duffel on that, using the interior for small, general purpose stuff and helmet storage.

Now that I say that, maybe you should ping Bob and get some 1st hand feedback on it. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to talk about it. I'll PM you with his email address.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:25 pm

I have done as Raffy described. Having read that the more distance between the FM and CB antennas would improve both, I put a short FM antenna just above the left hand mirror on the fairing. I put a Firestick on the standard rear radio antenna mount and so the smuggler fits fine.

I would not be inclined to try to alter the smuggler to allow for an antenna on the starboard side of the bike. One of the things that is sometimes aggravating is how close the smuggler actually fits above the side cases. I don't think there is any space to work between the two.

HTH

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:31 pm
Gold Supporter

Garage
I had a Smuggler on my bike when I purchased it. You really do not get anymore space than the stock case and you lose the LED brake light on top of the rack. I could handle those problems but after my wife said the smuggler looked like a toliet bowl on my bike, I couild not get that image out of my head and now the smuggler is gone.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:11 pm

Thumbs up Don't knock the Smuggler ... it don't knock me...

I brought Weiter home in March and put a Smuggler on in May before going from IN to CA, my first long distance trip.
The thing that impressed me most was the almost complete loss of helmet buffeting. I believe the buffeting I felt was from the square shape of the top case. I learned to pack in many smaller bags instead of one big one.

I would agree that you would not want to try to mod the fiberglass to fit an antenna plate on the right side.

'99 LTC "Weiter"
'85 VN700
NW IN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in