Update on my front wheel wobble - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Update on my front wheel wobble

So far my bike and my Buddy's bike have been through everything. They've changed everything on the front end front and rear tires 3 times, wheels, steering dampener, some kind of bushing and we both still have this wobble. It's not only the when you go from 60 to 40 wobble but the bike wobbles as i pull out of my driveway at like 15 mph. We've tried bridgestone and mets belted and nothing has changed . As a matter of fact i think it's getting worse.

A little bit of back round both of us have been riding for over 30 years both on and off road, both a enduro riders, both have had a number of street bikes, ( i have had 3 BMW's) and both are 05's blue. Maybe it's the color??

We got a call from the dealer who by the way has done everything possible (Hermy's BMW) including sending us both high end Italian made steering dampeners to try and didn't bill us for them. We haven't had a chance to try them yet, they need to be custom fit and i just haven't had the time.

We got a call from Hermy and he said the sales rep. was coming up so we should be there at 9:30 so he can test ride our bike's. I live 20 mi. so not a big deal for me but my buddy live 150 mi. so it was a longer ride for him. When we arrived at 9:45 the sale rep wasn't there yet so we took some bike's for demo rides. He finally showed up at 10:45 then went in the back for 1:45 minutes to do some computer work wile we sat in the show room waiting. That just got us more mad . He finally geared up and took them both for a ride, but first he said if you expect me to take my hands of the bars at 40 mph. i can't do that. There is no law saying you have to ride with two hand's on the bar's but that's not the problem, the problem is when riding back roads and chopping the throttle at 60 to go into a corner you can feel the wobble through the bars. Well the rep came back and said there was a problem but he didn't think it was so bad, (that's why i left my hand gun home) and he would send his report to Germany. We left and i took an 06 RT home for a long test ride. When i got home i called Hermy's to tell him the rt wasn't for me ( i had an 04 rt ) he told me the sales rep said to change my drive shaft. Isn't that ODD?

My buddy has already filed for lemon law ( we live in PA.) I haven't yet i want to try the dampener first. The biggest problem is there are no other bikes out there that we want. We both love every thing about the bike except the fact that it scares the shit out of you when you ride it. I'll keep you informed about the outcome off the drive shaft. I would like to here if anyone else has gotten rid of the wobble. Hay maybe its the color, are all the one that wobble blue???

Last edited by mikemoto; Dec 3rd, 2005 at 8:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:46 am

Cool Let me know

Let me know if you would on the out come
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 9:30 am

Tell you something weird. I went brain dead for a few months, I bought a new 05 LT(Blue) had the front end wobble if hands were off the bars, never did notice any wobble feel in the bars though. Anyway back to the brain dead deal, I traded for HD Ultra Classic. Rode it for 4-5 months, then woke up, found an 05 with 3100 miles at BMW dealer. Worked out trade (of course I lost a ton of money, but hey they print more every day), the 05 (Blue) that I now have has no wobble whatsoever, can take hands off bars and no wobble. Go figure.
Leon

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:41 am

Rideit,

I am not completely sure but reasonably certain about the correct terminology of the exact piece but a little over a year or so ago I was in a front end incident with my '05 K12LT and had the same symptoms you explain and it drove me nutz. The only difference was that it just happened when I took my hands off the grips. I did feel a bit of wobble with them on the grips and that's what lead me to investigate a bit further.

Long story shortened up was that I believe it turned out to be the Trailing arm (PN# 31 42 2 321 294) that was replaced. I think that's the one but at any rate it is the piece that connects the frame to the forks and the spring for the front end connects on the bottom. I guess it was tweaked just enough to give the wobble but not enough to see by simple visible examination.

Might want to have that part relaced just to see? If you want a more detailed explanation of the piece and the correction contact Daytona BMW and talk with Bill Warnick in parts. Tell him that Woody told you to ask about it and he should remember the part and the whole mess that I went through getting this problem straightened out.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

O.K. so it's not the blue bikes but i wonder if it could be in the frame? Maybe all the ones that wobble were built on Friday or after a German beer break or something like that.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:22 pm

Mike,
I'm not sure it was you but when I was at Hermy's in Oct there where three riders complaining about the wobble, my gold Lt (with 4500 mile) has had just about 0 problems except for a scratched rear wheel that Hermy's replaced.
At least your dealing with Hermy's, their one class act. I travel 67 miles to get there when there are three other dealers within a 30 mile radius of me
Why is a sales rep test ridding your bike? BMW doesn't have a regional service rep?
Maybe I would give them one more shot at it, I know Herm wants to solve this problem just about as bad as you.
If you have to file with the lemon law who says you can't get another LT.
Good luck.............at least you have a good dealer working for you unlike what we hear about some other dealers through out the country.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Yes, that was me at Hermy's. I'm not sure whether that guy was a sales rep. or service rep. all I can tell you is that he gave us no respect by making us wait so long. He said that he files a report and sends it to Germany.
As far as the LT, I like that bike, I have a brand new RT in my garage right now, and I don't really like it. The LT is just so smooth. As far as I know, the lemon law has nothing to do with the dealer, they go directly after BMW. My bike has been in for service about 6 times, and the bike only has about 5,000 miles on it. I usualy ride about 10,000-15,000 miles per year, so I haven't been able to do much riding this year. I don't know what other bikes there are out there, and I don't know much about the new GT coming out, and I've heard that there will be a new LT for '07.
My friend, has already filed for lemon law, and he has a court date for June. So, if they give him a new bike, he would probably get an '07 anyway. I don't know, I guess we will see what happens after the steering dampener has been put on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in