Roadside repairs and LD riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Roadside repairs and LD riding

In another thread I gained some insight into why the LT may not be the best LD bike for events like the IB Rally. One issue was the difficulty in effecting roadside repairs with all that tupperware in the way. I guess I have to ask what sort of roadside repair needs might someone encounter riding an LT. I know about the shifter linkage breakage issue, been there done that. I have fixed a flat with my tire plugger. I suppose wiring problems could happen ( I plan on revising all my aftermarket wiring jobs this winter), maybe headlight bulbs? What other sort of things might an LD rider encounter? Now I'm not taking about big stuff like rear drive failures or clutch slave failures that waste the clutch. These are obvious tow to a dealer and hope he has the parts and I have enough money kinds of repairs. I'm talking about repairs that slow you down, but with the right part and knowledge you could fix in a parking lot or rest area and be on your way.
TIA

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 6:34 pm

So far, I've had three roadside repairs that I've had to perform to my LT:
  1. Shifter Linkage (actually TWICE!)
  2. Throttle cable broke
  3. A strange centerstand failure
I won't even dwell on the shifter linkage issue. I carry extra parts now, along with an easy-out, and that's that.

The throttle cable was easily remedied with a radiator hose clamp. I highly recommend that any LD'er carries a few of these gems. I carry smaller ones (approx. 1") as they can easily be coupled if you need it to be bigger. There's a pic below of my repair.

The centerstand failure was a one-in-a-million shot. In congested highway traffic, i just barely missed a muffler that was laying in the road. But the highest point of it caught the edge of my centerstand and knocked off the part that holds the springs onto the stand. Therefore, the springs came loose and the centerstand began to drag onto the ground. No fear! GAFF TAPE to the rescue! I had to tape the stand up until I got home. I Dremel'ed a new groove into the stand that holds the springs and it's been fine for a year and a half now.

HTH

post #3 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 6:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I did the same throttle cable fix twenty years ago on a 1980 XS1100, using a hose clamp taken from the fairing mount.

The only road failures I've had with either of my LTs have been tire failures and rear drive failures, one of each for each bike. I was able to ride to a reasonably safe place for the tire failures, but had to have both bikes trailered when the rear drives went out.

I've also had some minor wiring issues that were fixed on the road, but those were mostly due to hurried installation of some farkle just before a long trip. I've gotta get that fuse block installed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
In another thread I gained some insight into why the LT may not be the best LD bike for events like the IB Rally. One issue was the difficulty in effecting roadside repairs with all that tupperware in the way. I guess I have to ask what sort of roadside repair needs might someone encounter riding an LT. I know about the shifter linkage breakage issue, been there done that. I have fixed a flat with my tire plugger. I suppose wiring problems could happen ( I plan on revising all my aftermarket wiring jobs this winter), maybe headlight bulbs? What other sort of things might an LD rider encounter? Now I'm not taking about big stuff like rear drive failures or clutch slave failures that waste the clutch. These are obvious tow to a dealer and hope he has the parts and I have enough money kinds of repairs. I'm talking about repairs that slow you down, but with the right part and knowledge you could fix in a parking lot or rest area and be on your way.
TIA
I did everything to my bike before the IBR that you could do.

I bought had *four* HID's installed, had every seal replaced that they could get to, Don Arthur built me a perfect auxiliary gas tank, had my Utopia back rest then moved to my front seat, had the 17ball unit was installed in my FD, new clutch and brake and throttle cables installed, the drive shaft replaced, every service checked and rechecked. I had fresh oil, tranny oil and RD oil fresh and the brakes bled, the antifreeze freshened and front and rear brake fluid replenished. I had Mark Reis then go through my electrical and put die electric grease where needed. He then installed a rack for my computer a Littllite and a watering system that I had designed. I'm sure that I left several items off of that list that I had done but you get the idea. Don and I had a running check list. We both bought the 376C Garmin GPS and SmarTire sensors. Between the two of us I doubt that we left anything undone.

A few miles before driving into the parking lot of the IBR, I had 2 new tires installed and the oil & filter changed and my Low Beam HID that was working only part time looked into. I left there with everything humming.

Once I got to the lot, my low beam was not working. Then...I blew and engine that took one month to install followed promptly by a transmission that blew and that took two months to locate and install.

If you come up with the nirvana of LD rides and preparation would you please call me?
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Coni: I followed your disaster IBR here on the forum and couldn't believe your bad luck. I can only imagine the frustration after all the preparation you went through. Only Don Arthur's near death experience over shadows your failed attempt. Did you ever get any sense why you had a catastrophic engine and then transmission failure or was it just bad karma?

post #6 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:48 pm

Unhappy A way with words...

Oh...so that's what they refer to as "good bedside manner"?!

"your disaster IBR"
"your bad luck"
"I can only imagine the frustration..."
"Only Don Arthur's near death experience over shadows your failed attempt."
"catastrophic engine (failure)"
"transmission failure"
"bad karma"

All in just a few short sentences. I sure hope you're a little pickier with your wording when you consult with your patients. Maybe I'm out of line here, as I am talking FOR Coni.

(I apologize Coni, if you're fine with Doc's style of questioning. I know you're a "big girl" and all. )
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:13 am Thread Starter

Sometimes Joe you really miss the point. I personally am very impressed by anyone who would attempt to compete in such an arduous ride like the IBR. It shows dedication and strength. While I don't know Coni personally I would hope that I could convey my sentiment that I was sincerely disappointed that she could not complete this competition because of mechanical failures. I value her experience as I do many individuals on this forum and my attempt to understand what caused her bike to fail might help prevent someone else from suffering a similar fate, including me. If you feel I am ingenuous or sarcastic then you are reading too much into my verbiage, or is this "Joe just being Joe". If Coni takes offense to what I have said then I would certainly prefer her to let me know, I also would imagine that she might prefer to speak for herself.

post #8 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 9:02 am

No reason was found or given for the engine or the transmission failure.
The low beam HID was a fitting that was not fully engaged. It was installed at the dealer.
The engine and the transmission were covered with no questions asked because I had every service done on time or ahead of time, by BMW.
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:29 am Thread Starter

I guess they died of "natural causes". Thanks.

post #10 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:39 am

Doc,

Do you know if the shifter linkage has been updated on the 05' LT ?

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:30 am Thread Starter

I don't know specifically, but I have not heard of a change. I bet Mark Neblett would know. He knows everything.

post #12 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

05 shift linkage

Stew,

They beefed up the threaded portion of the ball link that screws into the foot shift lever. All the rest of the linkage is the same as before. Still have not found a PN for that one unique ball stud.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in