Help with ABS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Help with ABS

Greetings to you all!!!
I am a new proud second owner of a 2001 K1200LE. Having ridden a V-Max for 4 years I made the decision to buy a K12 and I will never go back! This is a great bike and I am grateful to the seller who told me about this website. I have found tons of useful information here. Thanks to all of you who contribute.

Now to my problem...The bike had 21k when I purchased it last month. It has 22,300 now. Couples weeks ago while on a rally down in Rocky Point, Mexico, the ABS lights started flashing alternately about every second. Looked in MOM(motorcycle owners manual) and checked the two possible causes, low battery and starting it too quickly. Battery went to the tender and was fully charged within an hour. Tried to turning it off and then on again, but the problem continued. I looked at the threads on this site and checked all the possible causes(low fluid, new pads, light filament, etc). Still the lights are flashing telling me the ABS is not working.

So, to the dealer I went, IronHorse in Tucson where I live. They checked the pads, fluid and battery. All good. They hooked up the bike to the computer to do a diagnostic check and told me that it is the ABS pressure modulator unit which costs $1650 plus another $760.00 for labor. Ouch!! The extended warranty I purchased does not cover ABS. Now I know why...

Any suggestions/advice?? Live without ABS?(I don't want to). Is there anything that I am not checking prior to spending the money? Should I get a second opinion? My next closest dealer is Victory in the Phoenix area.
Thank you all in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:52 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Ok. Not sure if part of my answer (#2) applies to a 2001 but here goes:

1) Check to make sure the ABS sensors are clean
2) check to make sure the wire is not frayed where the zip tie tends to be too tight (this one is by the driveshaft.)

Hope this helps and averts a costly repair bill.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 1:05 am

You say 'lights' - here's a chart shows what the patterns mean. Came with the manuals pack for my '02. This is a black sticker with white lettering - was tucked in with the manuals. No copyright notice on it - so hopefully it's OK to post this here.

Code:
BMW integral ABS - Troubleshooting                 Order no. 01 47 7 663 598

Light                        Malfunction
General        ABS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OFF             ON                 Only RESIDUAL BRAKING FUNCTION available in both circuits
OFF         Flashes at 1 Hz   ABS Not Available. Pull-Away test not completed
OFF         Flashes at 4 Hz   Only RESIDUAL BRAKING FUNCTION available in both circuits
                                      Sellf-diagnosis not completed
ON           OFF                  Tail light/brake light defective
ON           Flashes at 1 Hz   At least one brake circuit without ABS
ON           Flashes at 4 Hz   At least one brake circuit in RESIDUAL BRAKING FUNCTION mode
Alternat    Alternat flashing  Fluid leve in BMW Integral ABS too low.
flashing at       at 1 Hz        Check the motorcycle as follows.
1 Hz                                 - Ignition OFF: is brake pressure OK at the brake levers?
                                       - Are the brakes acting on both wheels?
                                       - Is the brake system leaktight, no signs of brake fluid escaping?
                                       The brake system is defective if the test outcome is negative.

WARNING: Do not ride the motorcycle if you have any doubts about the safety of the brake system.
Sorry for the code tags - only I could find to easily keep the formating close to right. Hope that helps!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!!
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 3:27 pm

When you say they checked the battery, did they test it on a battery tester? It can have enough current to start the bike but not enough to make to ABS lights go out, as many of us have experienced. I would try a new battery for $85 or so before anything. Also make sure the rear brake resevoir is full. Since yours is a 2001, this just might just be your problem. I would invest the 85 to 90 bucks before going for $2400 or so.

Let us know how it turns out.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 3:49 pm

I work in the stall next to the tech who looked at your bike, and while I wasn't there that day, you can be sure that he knows what a low battery voltage fault is and how to diagnose a ABS pump failure. Trust me, we don't want anyone to have to pay for one of those overpriced POS's if they don't have to, especially if it's not covered by warranty.

Paul Ford
01 R1150GS
90 K1200
73 R75/2
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Smile

I hooked up the battery to the tender and it was fully charged within an hour. The tech that did the diagnostic said the battery was good. It is less than a year old. I will let you know how it turns out.

Paul, I trust you and Ironhorse. I have several friends and co-workers who have owned BMW's longer than me and they have been very, very pleased with that dealership.
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 6:59 pm

Thanks. I can understand your pain. I've been nursing a bad abs pump along in my GS for a while now.

Paul Ford
01 R1150GS
90 K1200
73 R75/2
post #9 of 16 Old May 13th, 2006, 1:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
When you say they checked the battery, did they test it on a battery tester? It can have enough current to start the bike but not enough to make to ABS lights go out, as many of us have experienced. I would try a new battery for $85 or so before anything. Also make sure the rear brake resevoir is full. Since yours is a 2001, this just might just be your problem. I would invest the 85 to 90 bucks before going for $2400 or so.

Let us know how it turns out.
I finally got it done. I waited for the 24k service and had the the ABS pump replaced. I got the call today and will be picking up the bike tomorrow morning. 24k service + replacing the ABS pump = $2,800.00. Ironhorse gave me a 10% discount for parts and labor. That's how it turned out....
Thank you all for your input.
post #10 of 16 Old May 15th, 2006, 8:15 am

Do you get to keep the unit/pump since it's not under warranty? I think there would be a couple of people here interested in taking a look at it for a post mortem.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #11 of 16 Old May 15th, 2006, 6:34 pm

It's my understanding that BMW will NOT let you keep the old ABS even if it is out of warranty. They want them all back so THEY can rebuild them and resell them to you for the POS price Paul mentioned. THEY CAN BE REBUILT obviously, but they don't want you to know it as it is VERY lucrative for them to do so and stick it to us.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #12 of 16 Old May 15th, 2006, 6:47 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushj1
It's my understanding that BMW will NOT let you keep the old ABS even if it is out of warranty. They want them all back so THEY can rebuild them and resell them to you for the POS price Paul mentioned. THEY CAN BE REBUILT obviously, but they don't want you to know it as it is VERY lucrative for them to do so and stick it to us.
If the customer paid the repair bill, then he is entitled to ge the old parts back if the request is made. BMW doesn't sell reconditioned parts...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #13 of 16 Old May 15th, 2006, 7:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The parts fiche for the ABS system specifically states that the ABS Hydro Unit is "ONLY FOR REPAIR AT THE DEALER'S" and in the notes says the price is "+core". The ABS Motor Relay and Relay Base also are listed as "+core", as are a few other parts scattered throughout the parts fiche. It may not be for a standard rebuild program as with some car parts, but just for a CYA sort of thing.

So I read that as if the customer wants to keep the part, then he has to pay an additional core charge.

But didn't someone recently report on rebuilding his ABS unit? Or is that still a work in progress?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 16 Old May 16th, 2006, 7:19 am

Out-bloody-ragious

Greetings people.

I was going to start bitching about having to have to replace both of my ABS wheel sensors on my 1999 LT, but after reading the above threads, I might keep my mouth shut. Man, that is just so much money!
BMW should be held a little more accountable for these problems I'm sure.

Kindest regards to all
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #15 of 16 Old May 16th, 2006, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
Greetings people.

I was going to start bitching about having to have to replace both of my ABS wheel sensors on my 1999 LT, Kindest regards to all
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]
Hey Paul,

I'd love to hear why you had to do that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 1:22 am Thread Starter

Do you get to keep the unit/pump since it's not under warranty? I think there would be a couple of people here interested in taking a look at it for a post mortem.

No I did not keep it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in