Hate to say it; but i neglected the maintenance! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:41 am Thread Starter

Wink Hate to say it; but i neglected the maintenance!

Rode (ride) the piss out of it, 19,800 miles and have had the dealership complete the 600 mile service. From then on, i have done nothing but change the oil & filter myself. I know that this is wrong, for my brakes need to be bled and so on. Do to my retirement from the MC and my new career, i blame it on them for me not having enough time to take it in to get serviced! Question of the day; "take bike in to get pampered by the dealership, or ride the piss out of it"? i will take the later any day... r/s jimbo. sorry for rambling and spelliiiing.

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:47 am Thread Starter

Red face PS; anyone want to buy my Bike??

LOL....... lol ........

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #3 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 2:07 am

I say ride the piss out of it.

Better yet - ride the piss out of it on the way to a tech session.

If you get a shot up this way - say when you can - we'll get one together.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 5:20 am

My opinion is that it's better ride it than to let the dealer touch it. I think the bikes that never see the dealer have less problems than the ones with regular dealer service.
post #5 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 5:24 am

And what emperical data do you have to base that statement on???
post #6 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 5:32 am

So

It's an opinion - you cannot let facts get in the way of a good opinion ;-))))

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #7 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 7:16 am

Thumbs up Ride the piss out of it!!!

If there's not anything with the bike that you can't perform yourself, I agree... you don't need dealer service. Being the FNG around here (that F***ing New Guy) and to the BMW world, maybe there's something I'm missing. I've owned Harleys for years and have NEVER had the dealer perform routine maintenance. Remember, the technicians should be knowlegeable about the bike, but they're not rocket scientists. Anyone owning a bike should be able to do this sort of stuff on their own. From what I hear, BMWs are far more reliable and robust than a Harley could ever think about being. With that said, if I didn't take my Harvey Dinglesons to stealer for service, why in the world would I take my Beemer in???!!!

On second thought... Screw It! Ride the piss out of it and then go to your stealer and spread your wallet wide open! Ahhh, the best of both worlds!

Seriously though, just have fun and ride.

R.I.P. George Wood 6-24-07
R.I.P. Harry Woolf 5-18-09
"Ride In Peace"

'07 R1200GSA - 27000 miles "Mad Max"

'06 FLHTCUI - 36K "Geezr"

'03 FLHT - 35K "Junior"

'05 K1200LT - 19K "Lumbering Rhinoceros" Sold

"We're reaching critical mass!"
post #8 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminabqnm
Rode (ride) the piss out of it, 19,800 miles and have had the dealership complete the 600 mile service. From then on, i have done nothing but change the oil & filter myself. I know that this is wrong, for my brakes need to be bled and so on. Do to my retirement from the MC and my new career, i blame it on them for me not having enough time to take it in to get serviced! Question of the day; "take bike in to get pampered by the dealership, or ride the piss out of it"? i will take the later any day... r/s jimbo. sorry for rambling and spelliiiing.

I got fairly serious doing the math one time,
Service them like said
Blow it off change the oils ride the snot out of it
Or just ride them to death trade in every 11=14k miles (before you even buy one tire for it)

now this was all done with FL service prices in mind.
ya know 6k's that were a few hundred bucks,
12k's that were 800-1200, annual's at a grand.

It would have been less to ride it, never service shit, throw the bike away when it died if you rode a bunch of miles a year, when you start talking roughly $6-7k a year in service alone (no tires brakes other wear n tear)

I decided doing my own service was best, she now has 154k miles on it

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #9 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 8:07 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

My only issue of your neglect would be if a warranty item comes up.

Your changing the life blood (you did not mention FD and trany changes), I would think Air and Fuel filter would be what needs done now.

Of course if you don't have any valve rattle that is not an issue, as I have heard most don't even need to be checked until 24,000 or so.

Brake flush and coolant flush would seem to be in order.

I am not a dealer kind of guy, but I do, and will visit them during my warranty period. Only because of the dreaded FD issues. Not sure what would happen on the slave cylinder/clutch issue with no dealer service? I am only worried that if you are not supporting a dealer even just a bit, then how are they going to react on an issue?

Sounds like she is holding up fine to your "abuse" but if you are riding a keeper, I would service her with a dealer at least for the 24,000.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
My only issue of your neglect would be if a warranty item comes up.

Your changing the life blood (you did not mention FD and trany changes), I would think Air and Fuel filter would be what needs done now.

Of course if you don't have any valve rattle that is not an issue, as I have heard most don't even need to be checked until 24,000 or so.
I would be more concerned not to hear any valve noise, the valve adjustment tends to get tighter on the K engine

air filter should be checked yes, fuel No worries on it for some time

Tom

post #11 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:54 am

I took mine back to the dealer for a state inspection once. Does that count? Everything else I did myself. I suspect that BMW "recomended" service intervals are designed to seperate you from your money. You don't hardly have to get an airplane serviced that much.
post #12 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
I took mine back to the dealer for a state inspection once. Does that count? Everything else I did myself. I suspect that BMW "recomended" service intervals are designed to seperate you from your money. You don't hardly have to get an airplane serviced that much.
Amen to that Brother CajunBass!

"Ride In Peace"

'03 FLHT - 35K "Junior"

post #13 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 6:33 pm

I can't believe that in all that time in the Corps that you were a dirty leg and walked everywhere! You had to have spent time in the motor pool with a -10 at some time or other. Preventive Maintenance Master Sergeant, preventi ve maintenance. Do it yourself and save.

P.S. Thank you for your service to our country!!

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #14 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Talking all right then!!!!

Seems the concensious (spell check) is that we (us) should continue to ride the piss out of it. I want to take care of my two wheeled "Private Pyle" and i guess i can get a new air filter. off to the Stealership. Thanks for everything Gents!
PS... now how the hell do you put this "thingy" in there? LOL....

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #15 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
My opinion is that it's better ride it than to let the dealer touch it. I think the bikes that never see the dealer have less problems than the ones with regular dealer service.
That is certainly my experience with cages. I've put in a new transmission (Warranty) and an air conditioner ($4K) on separate occasions, both within a couple of days of dealer servicing. Of course they didn't do anything during the service that would have caused these problems! That said, there is a difference between taking it to the dealer and blowing off the maintenance all together. I don't agree you should just change the oil and ride it. Somehow, the recommended maintenance should be performed.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #16 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:05 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
That said, there is a difference between taking it to the dealer and blowing off the maintenance all together. I don't agree you should just change the oil and ride it. Somehow, the recommended maintenance should be performed.
BIG +1 on this.

I mean it is your bike and your money and decision for sure, but why would you not do your own scheduled maintenance?

I Just cant see neglecting a piece of machinery I trust my life to.

I did not look for sure, but plugs, air filter, all fluid changes at 12,000.

Since you said what your mileage was, I would think your in for an air filter the gas filter would be good to do at that time.

I learned something on the tendency of the LT to go tight on valves instead of loose, so I would also at least check them while I had the tank off for the air filter as you have the Tupperware off anyway.

Again from a lot of these replies I see that people have a lot more money then I if they are willing to take a +22,000 dollar motorcycle and neglect it and ride it into the ground, and then toss it and get another.

I rode Harley's, and blew what passes as their warranty in the first few months of owning everyone of them because of mods. I never had a dealer touch one on a warranty claim. Never would they do my service. Never would they build my motor. These were my jobs.

Same here, I do 3000's myself, the dealer gets his 6000's. At least until the warranty is gone, then nothing but me.

I will do my own Brake flush and buy the GS 911 when the time comes. I will do my own coolant flush when it is due.

My dealer and I have a great relationship and he will back me on warranty even if I don't let him do some of the scheduled service to save money. He uses my Trany and FD fluid I bring him. Told me flat out he wont even think about valves until 18-24, and then only to check. Giving them a little bread and butter goes a long way come some warranty work.

Also I see mentioned that BMW's maintenance seems to some to be excessive. I think 6000 miles on any dino oil excessive. I don't see 12000 miles on plugs bad at all. Neither the brake flush or the coolant flush seems excessive to me.

The only issue I have at all on the BMW is getting to what needs done. That is why I will do it to learn, and I trust me.

I guess it comes down to how you look at your ride, and what you expect out of it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Not quite sure what this post is about. Service at the correct intervals? DIY? Or what?

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #18 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Howdy, Jim! RTPOOI is lots of fun!

Do your own maintenance.. can never tell when a decent fire-fight will happen ....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #19 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:52 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Thanks again

if i had the choice to purchase the bike of my dreams, with the maintenance and owner history towards the bike as a whole, i would purchase the current ride that sit's between my leg's. yes, the bike has the correct tyre pressure, yes it's fluids are at the correct level, yes it has been dysecticed twice by the dealership for warranty work. But, i havent done the 12000 or 18000 mile service, nore do i see it fit to pay 800-1000$$ for a stamp that say's "you have good warranty coverage from us bud"!. I will take great steps to ensure my "private" is safe for my "other" to ride with me on a 500 mile ride through NM highways. But for goodness sakes, i was just saying that our service scheduel is a hugh waste of money. i will tell the dealership to change all fluids and filters and be done with it. just makeing a statement about BMW screwing the two wheeled junkies and kissing the people's ass who have four wheels on the ground. Just my observation and this should have been on the humor section of our beloved and favorite internet site to surf.

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #20 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 7:15 am

Quote:
Seems the concensious (spell check) is that we (us) should continue to ride the piss out of it. I want to take care of my two wheeled "Private Pyle" and i guess i can get a new air filter. off to the Stealership. Thanks for everything Gents!
PS... now how the hell do you put this "thingy" in there? LOL....
Ohh the dreaded Air filter (really not that bad) but i put a external air filter on mine, I removed the air intake muffler and installed one in it's place, put the fuel filter on the outside as well at the same time.

made services nice, haven't had the tank off in around 60k miles now

Tom

post #21 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
Ohh the dreaded Air filter (really not that bad) but i put a external air filter on mine, I removed the air intake muffler and installed one in it's place, put the fuel filter on the outside as well at the same time.

made services nice, haven't had the tank off in around 60k miles now
Could you provide details on how you made both filter modifications? Sounds like life would be a lot easier once these are done! Thanks!

"Ride In Peace"

'03 FLHT - 35K "Junior"

post #22 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerBeemer66
Could you provide details on how you made both filter modifications? Sounds like life would be a lot easier once these are done! Thanks!

I'm actually about to put a new exhaust on it and do the full service, so if you could give me a few days
(I'll get to it late this week or early next week) I'll take pics of it again and Pm them to you (as long as I do not forget <g>)

Tom

Tom

post #23 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:11 am

I think many of us would be intested in how you did these mods. SO, please do post when you have time.
post #24 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 4:48 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I think many of us would be intested in how you did these mods. SO, please do post when you have time.
+1 on that!!!!!!

Like I said it is getting to this stuff that is a bit frustrating to me, to have it "out" would be very nice on these two items.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #25 of 26 Old Nov 8th, 2007, 8:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I'm actually about to put a new exhaust on it and do the full service, so if you could give me a few days
(I'll get to it late this week or early next week) I'll take pics of it again and Pm them to you (as long as I do not forget <g>)

Tom
Take your time Tom. I won't need to change either of these until the next 6K. Hopefully, as some others have requested, you can post it here so we can all benefit from your time & effort. Thanks!

Rock

"Ride In Peace"

'03 FLHT - 35K "Junior"

post #26 of 26 Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:35 am

Jim,

I pretty much agree with ya there. Take a perspective shift - see things from their side. BMW does not exist to provide high reliability vehicles or make our enjoyment possible - let alone convenient.

BMW exists to do one thing - make money.

Fact that as a by product of their efforts we get to ride nice motorcycles is serendipitous good fortune - but if anyone thought it was BMW's purpose, they need a re-education in the realities of modern economics. It is intentional towards the goal of making money. It is not intentional towards the goal of our personal satisfaction - unless said satisfaction makes them money. Serendipity.

BMW is going to word, arrange, plan, design, build and manipulate perceptions, products, documentation, understanding and information to facilitate the easiest separation of value from their customers. It is up to US, the consumers, to sort, shift, evaluate and learn enough to do what's really needed - make things convenient for us - achieve our gaols - pay what's *needed* to be safe and reliable. Anyone that blindly follows manufacturer's instructions to change all fluids at 3k, all filters at 2k and buy new vehicles at 1k intervals has simply lined up for the kool-aid. Maybe they can also be sheared for blankets, I dunno.

And there ain't a thing wrong with that. It's called 'Free market' - good on 'em and go for it!

Give BMW credit - they are very good at what they do. Fact that they're also not too bad at building bikes simply supports their primary goal. Believe me - it ain't intentionally for us.

So yea - RTPOOI. Be smart, take some care - she'll do ya good. And the offer stands, you wanna run up to enjoy the ride - we'll have some empty jugs for old gunk and a few boxes of new so when you run back to the home-stead, you'll be able to enjoy it and not have to worry about some pathetic text in a sales brochure niggling at the back of your head cuz you didn't put a new Vacumizer on your bank account at $10K intervals.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in