Luggage Rack Mounting Layout - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Smile Luggage Rack Mounting Layout

Weather has turned cool thus the brain matter is slow.

Somewhere, someone posted a diagram for the mounting hole layout for the BMW K/LT luggage rack. For the life of me I cannot find it. HELP, leading me to the trough would be very much welcomed

Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer1943

Somewhere, someone posted a diagram for the mounting hole layout for the BMW K/LT luggage rack. For the life of me I cannot find it. HELP, leading me to the trough would be very much welcomed

Thanks in advance.....
I cheated and found what may help you - wuz down near the bottom of this page here.

Good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer1943

Thanks in advance.....
I installed my rack without the use of a template. By using masking tape, fabric tape measure and a few sticky backed paper hole re-enforcing ringlets (for notebook paper). I nailed the holes dead on. The ringlets fit perfectly within the square bottom of the forward feet of the rack and centered on the screw hole.
I put the screws, one turn each, into the rack and set it on the top case. After getting the rear feet squared with the fabric tape measure (put it about where I wanted it and measured from each rear foot to the top of the vertical line on the BMW emblem to center it). I ran masking tape across the top box and marked where the screw heads lined up. Then I placed the sticky backed ringlets (eyelets??) holes inline with the markings.
The front legs followed very easily by outlining where the feet laid, with masking tape, along 3 sides of the foot edges and placed the ringlet inside the tape outline. I drilled (one screw hole at a time after installing/un-installing the rack) into the center of the ringlet that I marked with the tip of an Exacto knife. The knife cuts into the plastic easily to make a good indent that the drill bit won't run away from.
If you need a better explanation of any part of this process just PM me. Had I know it was going to work out so easily, I would have taken pictures.
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Dick,

Thanks for the heads up. Good info.

Jim
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
. . . sticky backed paper hole re-enforcing ringlets (for notebook paper). . .
Jer
You know, I'd never heard (nor read, for that matter) paper A$$holes called anything other than, well, paper A$$holes. I learned something new today. :P

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in