Radio on my 2003 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:38 pm Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Radio on my 2003 LT

The radio on my 2003 LT stopped working yesterday. The back light comes on but nothing is working. I was told by the dealer it may be a fuse. They stated there are two fuses, one under the CD player and the other under the radio itself. Is this a common occurrence and if so how can I fix it? What size and type of fuses are they. I appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:42 pm

Try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for an hour or so...then reconnect it and try it..

1980 KZ1000LTD (stolen)
1982 KZ1000LTD (sold)
1987 YAMAHA VENTURE ROYALE (sold)
2003 K1200LTC in Black (current)
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 6:50 am

This happend to me too. I just didnt do anything about it, due to lack of time and nerves to undress the lady.

But after some time the problem fixed itselvef. Lucky me.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 7:03 am

+1 on disconnecting the battery. I found that leaving it disconnected for ~30 minutes worked for me. Don't forget to reset the throttle position sensor after reconnecting the battery. Key on (don't start), fully open and then close the throttle, repeat. Key off then start as normal. It seems unlikely that you have a blown fuse if the backlight is on.

You may want to check your battery as my radio started doing this when the battery got weak.

ďRes ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?Ē

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by astuber; Nov 4th, 2007 at 10:56 am.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 9:08 am

Garage
Diffentately, try the battery disconnect trick. This might be the problem.

You can also check the fuse under the drivers seat. It is the bottom fuse (15amp) in the middle fuse box.

If these two tricks don't fix it all is not lost- there is a fuse in the head unit itself. The problem is you have to take the tupperware off of the big lady to get at it.

I am on my second replacement radio. New replacements are very expensive ($500+) from a stealership. If you want, you can contact Becker, the maker of the units. If you Google them, you will find the offices in New Jersey. They have an advance exchange program on the tapedeck units for the LT. However, you need a tape deck unit to trade with them. They don't repair the CD units. They told me they are considered throwaways.

I got lucky a few months ago and found a tapedeck unit on ebay for under $100. I replaaced my single CD unit with the tape deck without a problem. Since I only use my Satellite Radio and/or Ipod, I didn't miss the CD unit. When I replaced my battery, I installed it backwards and that caused the radio unit to blow a second time. D'oh!

There is a guy on the IBMWR.org Market place selling a CD/Intercom unit for $400 bucks.
Good Luck!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 4:56 pm

I have a 2003 LT also and last month had the same problem. If you still have the original battery in the bike, its probably time to replace it. I knew mine was starting to get weaker and when the radio would no longer come on I knew I had better get a new battery. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting will work (It worked for me), but the cause is the battery going bad.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 9:56 am Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

radio on my 2003 lt

I tried the battery disconnect and it worked, thanks for all your feedback. I will be having the battery replace in a few weeks, only 700 miles until my next service. I am a new member and I can not believe I have not used this site until now. I will for sure be using it a lot.
Thanks gglove
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 17th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Same Problem

Must be the cold weather. I have an odyssey battery which is supposed to be good for 8 years. IT's less than a year old. Bought a charger to get a deep charge on it. Odyssey said to desulfate it as well. Seems to be well charged now, but no radio. OK tried the fix. Works!!!! Thanks again!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in