lifter noise 99k1200lt, any ideas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy lifter noise 99k1200lt, any ideas

I am experiencing an erratic lifter noise on my 99 K1200LT. Quite loud at some times. The engine seems to have the same amount of power, no gauge changes, oil sight gauge shows the normal amount of oil. Just had a recent 78k annual, no valve work was done. Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 9:50 pm

At what rpms do you hear the noise or what speed.I beleave mine has the same problem
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 9:53 pm

I am supposing that you are referring to "valve train noise" -- a "ticking" rather than a "knocking"??

When you say, "No valve work was done" Did they check them, but no adjustments made, or were they not even checked as a part of the service.

Does "erratic" mean intermittent? are there any particular times the noise gets louder - i.e. on start-up, accelerating in neutral, etc?

Just trying to define the problem a bit.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

lifter noise continued...

Thanks for the clarification questions.... my experience with the noise... i would classify is as valve train noise... it doesn't seem to be related to the engine being warm or cold, or related to RPM's, occurs at low and higher RPM's. I can start the bike as i did this morning and not have the noise, but after riding (city speeds) the noise returned. It will sometimes stop with a little more throttle, but then will return at the next stop sign.

The 78k annual just completed did not include a valve timing adjustment, just the typical oil change and regular maintenance. Interestingly, the noise wasn't present before the service was done.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:36 pm

Are you sure they used the right weight of oil? To light of oil will make things get noisey.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 3:23 am

Possibly a worn cam chain tensioner?
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 3:40 am

One of the things that may be commonly mistaken for erratic "lifter" noise is a fuel injector(s) that is starting to clog up or go bad. Try adding a QUALITY injector cleaner in your tank, enjoy a long ride and see if the noise goes away. It'll clean your system at the very least so nothing to lose.

JMTCW
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericbrinley
The 78k annual just completed did not include a valve timing adjustment, just the typical oil change and regular maintenance. Interestingly, the noise wasn't present before the service was done.
I just had the 72K service done which DID include a valve adjustment and now I also have valve train noise. I don't remember which one was out of spec, but they had to change one shim.

The noise on my bike is WAY more pronounced when first starting and the engine is cold. As it warms up, it dissipates to almost nothing, but you can still hear it if you turn down the tunes and listen. As with your issue, there is no loss of power, the oil is good and is BMW stock. Dealer assures me that it's 'normal.'

For being an ex-chemical engineer, I'm not too mechanically inclined, which is why I leave the bulk of the maintenance on the old girl to the dealers. I guess I'll just ride it. If it breaks, I'll get it fixed and ride it some more! But I would like to know what's going on in there. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:39 am

Loosen the nuts holding the exhaust header into the head so that it can be dropped slightly, then try to rotate all four of the flanges on the ends of the pipes. My bet is that you have one or more broken loose from the pipe.

I had the same thing once, found the front two broken. Removed the exhaust system and re-welded it, noise gone. This has been a somewhat common failure. Easily re-welded though, just find a good welding shop. Mine were re-welded on the outside of the flange where the pipe enters it as well as re-doing the original weld inside.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in