'04 LT and Squealing Rear Brake...yeah another thread - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

'04 LT and Squealing Rear Brake...yeah another thread

Have been reading old posts, the hall of wisdom, and the FAQ for the website, looking at discussion of replacement rear brake pads, etc.

One thing I came across, among the various discussion of squeaky brake fixes that included re-bedding in the brakes, taking the ol' Dremmel to the rotor itself, swapping to EBC pads (generally noted to be a good thing), swapping to EBC rotors (strangely generally noted to be a BAD thing), creatively shaving the leading edge of the pads themselves, adding anti-vibration goops to the back of the pads, etc. is (in the FAQ section) mention that there is a SERVICE BULLETIN for BMW dealerships on the rear brake squeal issue, and that some owners have had the rotor and pads replaced under that bulletin.

So, three questions, as my rear pads are shot and need replacement (22,000 miles, the last 13,000 ridden by me, and well-earned).

1. Anyone have more than 10K miles on EBC pads and still like them?

2. And this is a dumb question, but on the five sites I looked at, none specified, so I'll ask it anyway...list price is $32, I found them listed as low as $23 for the HH sintered ones, is that for a PAIR of pads, or for ONE pad? i.e. do I have to buy ONE (and get the two I need for the rear) or "add to cart" twice, for a grand total of, uh, lemme see...$46?

3. More interesting, since the site here cannot publish actual service bulletins without catching hell from BMW NA, what is the general content of that particular service bulletin...and of more interest, has anyone actually taken advantage of it? What was the result? (I'd be more than happy to let BMW put a new rotor and brake pads on my bike, which still has 38,000 miles and 19 months of factory pre-owned warranty left)

thanks in advance, friends

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:26 pm

Mmm, I'd question the 'generality' of the generally bad in this quote
Quote:
swapping to EBC rotors (strangely generally noted to be a BAD thing)
I haven't looked back to see if it was added to or not, but that quickie survey I did showed 13 EBC rotor installs and 3 guys had issues. Rest of 'em said 'good'.

You got some better info? Be worth seeing.

EDIT:
Found the thread!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29214

And the only other comments added about the EBC rotor are 'good' ones.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:13 pm

I have the EBC rotor and I replaced my rear pads with Galfer brand. I added the rotor at 32500 miles now have 45500 on the bike and no complaints.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:53 pm Thread Starter

Yo, Zotter...

I didn't perform an in-depth analysis...so I apologize if I may have offended anyone with my choice of verbiage.

Now, before you roast my chestnuts...hey, it's November, I can have some holiday cheer if I wanna'...by your tally, 3 of 13 "guys having issues" equals 23 PERCENT of those forum members.

Personally, if 23% of riders "have issues" with foam grip covers, it's not going sway my purchasing decision. If 23% report significant dissatisfaction with a saddlebag liner, I may pay attention, but if I get a good deal on a set, or if I like how they look, I may ignore that and buy anyway.

But, hey man...we're talking about BRAKES here!!! You know, the things that slow or halt forward momentum and can prevent you from becoming a hood ornament on that soccer mom's minivan?

Brakes, fuel lines, tires, and lighting (particularly turn signals and brake lights) are things I guess I am perhaps over-squeamish about?

Who knows...some may call me a pussy for it, but for any of those four, if one of my Forum friends like you reports an issue with an aftermarket product, I pay a lot of attention. More than one? It scares me off.

Sooooo...

Let me try again: "as I read, I came across a lot of notably positive comments about the EBC pads and no negative ones...but was surprised to find a few negative comments about rotors by the same company."

(I still wanna' know how many pads come if you pay a company $23, if people who have put miles on the PADS are happy with 'em, and if anyone knows what the heck the service bulletin is/was, and if anyone got help from BMW because of it)

Pete "didn't mean to slander anyone's choice of rotor" Van Dyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Mmm, I'd question the 'generality' of the generally bad in this quote

I haven't looked back to see if it was added to or not, but that quickie survey I did showed 13 EBC rotor installs and 3 guys had issues. Rest of 'em said 'good'.

You got some better info? Be worth seeing.

EDIT:
Found the thread!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29214

And the only other comments added about the EBC rotor are 'good' ones.

post #5 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 5:40 am

Hi Pete,

Sorry your questions weren't answered.

Brake pads are always sold as a set (2).

I've known 2 people who have installed the EBC rotor. The work was straight forward and the results are still perfect. No cow bell and good stoppie.

I wasn't directly involved in either change and am not sure of mileage since change. The hardest part of the swap I understand to be removing the ABS ring from the old rotor. A heat gun does the job well though.

I suspect problems probably occurred on rotor changes do to some misstep during the swap, not the EBC parts themselves.

FWIW - I've had EBC pads on the front for 14,000 miles and other than a whooosh at application, which sounds kind of cool, they work great. No better or worse than stock. Wear seems to be good.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:25 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

My dealer did put EBC rear pads on mine at the 600 no charge. It did not fix the squeal for long.

I put the rotor and new pads in a week or two ago. No issues that I know of, good stopping and quiet as a church mouse.

There is that swoosh as it is described, but not offensive and as said, sounds pretty cool. Doubt "normal" people even hear it.

Longevity, time will tell.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:22 am Thread Starter

very helpful...

I wonder if ANYONE got help from the mystery "service bulletin..."

post #8 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:25 am Thread Starter

and I guess slapping on those Stay-free maxi pads like I did wasn't such a good idea.

Sheesh, the ads said that when you use them you can ride horses, go running, ride bicycles, dance, even swim...I thought for SURE they would work on an LT...

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:42 am

Ah!! Ok - so, to continue the avoidance of Autumnal gastronomic goody preparations.... %23 == Generally.

And - yes, it's a brake part. But problems noted have not been with braking. That bit - to date - works %100 of the time.

And apologies for not answering the question! Got a bit caught up I guess....

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:17 pm

FWIW - 13,000 miles on OEM pads with no noise at all. Just bedded them in real good.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 2:46 pm

I had the squealing or squeaking brakes and tried the BMW service replacement rotor. Eventually I had to 'buy' an EBC rotor to fix the cow bell that the new rotor turned into. I don't believe that the old rotor would not have eventually had the cow bell syndrome. I don't know if your rotor is the newer design or the original. You can look for yourself. IIRC they just removed some of the mounting rivets for the rotor. Instead of every post having a rivet there were two missing...? Someone will correct me if I wrong on this.. I'm sure.

I used just changed out (this spring) the EBC pads I installed to fix the squeaking.. what really fixed my squeaking problem was to add a cereal box backing to my pads. The red goop is too messy. The net is that the EBC pads wore good I would guess about 40K, my EBD rotor is very good but I'm trying Carbone Lorraine Sintered pads now. BTW, cereal box backing needs to be replaced one a year.. for a really effective fix..

The CL pads seem to be wearing well also. They don't seem to be a dirty but since I replaced my transmission output seal there is no oil to catch the grime so it might be just the same amount of brake dust from all the vendors.. I would like to try ceramic pads next time, if I could find them.

Back on point...

If I had it to do over again ... and hind sight is usually better than 20/20 I would have just put the paper box backing on the BMW pads.. Saved a little coin... I would have used EBC or Carbone Lorraine sintered pads as replacement as l have not heard of any significant issues with either brand.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in