MPG Went Down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 6:55 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

MPG Went Down

Last tank and this tank seems my MPG is going in the can. Last tank 39, this tank looks like it may be there again.

As I have been riding and breaking it in, 5000 miles on it, the MPG has been heading into the 44-45 MPG range the last few tanks, and checked math proved the computer real close.

Now since it has been cold it is barley getting 40 again, any ideas?

Have been running electrics, either a combo of seat, grips or grips, heated pants. Can running electrics affect MPG on these machines?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated as in my infinite stupidity I expected cold temps to give me better MPG.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:03 pm

Lee, it sounds to me like you have a real lemon on your hands.

Being the generous guy that I am, I'll help you, though...as much as it pains me.

Let's hook up via email...I'll trade you my '04 LT even-up, it gets a consistent 43 MPG or better if you aren't heavy on the throttle, regardless of the temperature.

I know, it's a big sacrifice on my part, but I hate to see a friend suffer like that.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:06 pm

Try a ECU & TPS reset.

Whooshing sound when you open the gas cap?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:16 pm

Many places in the country change the formulation of gas when it gets cold to keep smog down. Maybe that has an effect if they are doing that where you live.

On my last trip from Los Alamos, NM to Dallas and back, it seemed that at a few fillups, the mileage drastically dropped. The weather, speed, altitude, etc. didn't seem to change enough to warrant the change in mileage. I wondered if the "premium" that I put in wasn't. Although some posts here seem to indicate that premium vs. regular doesn't matter.
post #5 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAlmost
Many places in the country change the formulation of gas when it gets cold to keep smog down.
When I lived upstate NY, I noticed the same thing in all my vehicles. Seems some fuel is 10% ethanol during the winter months. They 'claim' it doesn't affect milage, but from what I have seen--it *does* reduce my MPG.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #6 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:23 pm

Maybe it has something to do with value of the US $ to the Canadian $. US $ goes down, mileage goes down.....

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #7 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:27 pm

Was your speed the same through both tanks? Reset your average mph and check that too. Mine is a 00 so it gets around 53 mpg averaging around 50 mph. On a recent drive to Indy it dropped to 41 averaging 82 mph.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #8 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:30 pm
Super Moderator

If the use reformulated gas during winter months that could do it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:38 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

You guys are a Hoot

I will think about that trade of my gas guzzler for that 04 fuel efficient one

I was thinking a TPS reset so on the list in the AM.

I was also thinking fuel and all I use is 93 Sunoco. Now there are four right in the areas I travel so I always use their fuel, so maybe their winter blend is now in. The one two blocks from my house ran out of all gas a while back so I avoided them like the plague for the last few weeks. I am sure those first couple of dumps had those tanks stirring the mud and water that was left in them while empty.

I mean I was hearing these guys and 50 MPG and stuff and after nursing it from the 37 on the first tank full, to the 44 on the last good one, I was happy. I go everywhere at 80 so I expect the low side but man when you loose 4-5 MPG it just made me question it.

Thanks guys

It still beats the 26 in the car so until there is snow or ice here in Pennsatucky, I will be riding

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 8:29 am

Another post talks of the oxygen sensor causing low gas mileage. He said that his bike was putty out a lot of black soot and a bad smell.
post #11 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:49 am

My gas mileage always goes down some when the weather gets colder. I don't know if it goes down below 40, but it always drops when it gets colder. I think part of it is the change in gas formula's. Not sure what other factors add to it. In the spring, it always goes back up though.
post #12 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
My gas mileage always goes down some when the weather gets colder. I don't know if it goes down below 40, but it always drops when it gets colder. I think part of it is the change in gas formula's. Not sure what other factors add to it. In the spring, it always goes back up though.
The moment you put your windshield up (even a little) and the two side wings out, your wind resistance goes up on the LT. I have noticed this one little quirk (if it is one) from many miles of observation. I think the side wings make more of a difference than the windshield. Combined, they really do make a substantial difference in MPG.

The winter fuel re-formulation does not help I am sure, but I have no way of knowing if there is that much of a change in the fuel in my general riding area.

JMO

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #13 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Lee,

I've consistently gotten 42-46mpg on my 07 since I bought in April. Don't forget there have been changes to the engine and gearing since the LT came out in 99. The early bikes only put out 98hp and had different gears than ours. We have almost 20hp more power and that is going to translate to lower mileage. I think most of the high mileage posts are at least pre 05 bikes. I have noticed that many of the discussions over acceleration, power, MPG etc. don't take into account the changes that have occurred over almost 10 years of production. A 99 and an 08 have a lot of differences.

Of course if lower per mile expenses are a goal then buying an LT is probably not a good choice. I'm sure over the next few years I will spend a lot more on service, parts and tires than I will for some extra gallons of premium gas. My tank lasts longer than my butt and my bladder anyway.

Bruce Buchner

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #14 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
Another post talks of the oxygen sensor causing low gas mileage. He said that his bike was putty out a lot of black soot and a bad smell.
That was my first thought too, but then I saw his bike is an 07. The O2 sensor "usually" last longer than just a few thousand miles, but it is possible to have a bad unit, which will be replaced under warranty.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 1:54 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I think we have a Bingo.

I have had the wings out for the last two tanks for sure! Windshield, I have a Cee Bailey -6 and I NEVER have it up, ever.

I do know the wings make a HUGE difference in the air that does not get to me, so of course that is drag.

The wings, and maybe gas reformulation are probably my issue. As I said, since new, I have had a steady climb to 44-45 MPG or so, even with my fast driving habits so I am thinking these two items might make the most sense for my situation.

Great thoughts guys.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
The moment you put your windshield up (even a little) and the two side wings out, your wind resistance goes up on the LT. I have noticed this one little quirk (if it is one) from many miles of observation. I think the side wings make more of a difference than the windshield. Combined, they really do make a substantial difference in MPG.

The winter fuel re-formulation does not help I am sure, but I have no way of knowing if there is that much of a change in the fuel in my general riding area.

JMO

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 2:01 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I do think you are correct in mileage being reported from the older LT to the new. Even if I drove like a little old man, I don't think I would see 50 MPG on this bike ever.

Saving money was not really a thought after reading all the "extras" the LT has in tire wear, and maintenance costs.

I just was concerned to see a drop like that in MPG but I think it is just fine after reading the responses here and thinking them through.

I just will keep an eye on it.

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchnerb
Lee,

I've consistently gotten 42-46mpg on my 07 since I bought in April. Don't forget there have been changes to the engine and gearing since the LT came out in 99. The early bikes only put out 98hp and had different gears than ours. We have almost 20hp more power and that is going to translate to lower mileage. I think most of the high mileage posts are at least pre 05 bikes. I have noticed that many of the discussions over acceleration, power, MPG etc. don't take into account the changes that have occurred over almost 10 years of production. A 99 and an 08 have a lot of differences.

Of course if lower per mile expenses are a goal then buying an LT is probably not a good choice. I'm sure over the next few years I will spend a lot more on service, parts and tires than I will for some extra gallons of premium gas. My tank lasts longer than my butt and my bladder anyway.

Bruce Buchner

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchnerb
Lee,

Bruce Buchner
Assume you are responding to me:

I consistently get in the very high 40s and that includes some red line run ups in the lower gears - in other words I do not baby my ride at all. (Come join me one Saturday morning when I am in the chase with my friends on their 1200 GSA's, 1200 RT's and, on occasion, a dam Ducati 1098S. The ole fat girl can hang in there pretty good - still in the mid to upper 40s). I think one of the reason for my economy is that my bike was broken-in hard and the rings were seated properly early on.

Cruising in good weather with the shield down (where it usually stays) and the wings in - 52 to 55 MPG is well within reach. 325 mile on a tank is no problem at all as long as I stay below 85 for extended periods ( 81 works out about perfect for my ride - 4,000 RPM, engine smooth, airflow smooth) - and that includes 2 up with luggage.

An 08 may have more horse power (which should make it more efficient?), but the 5th gear drive ratio is lower than my bike so my cruise should be more efficient.

I did not purchase my bike for it's economy, but it sure is remarkably good for a bike it's size. In fact, it is not unusual to ride with some Harley / GL riders and have them ask, "how much dam fuel does that thing hold?". Riding their ride and purchasing fuel at every other stop seems to get their attention.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #18 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 2:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You need to consider lots of many variables which effect MPG before you can come to any conclusion. Wind direction, quality of fuel, average speed, shifting, riding posture, and how hard you ride her. Occasionally, I make a 100 miles trip from home in the So Cal Desert to my office in Ontario, CA. Routinely I only get between 35 to 38 MPG going to the office and 48 MPG coming home. Of course the prevailing winds are from the west which is the direction of travel going to the office. When we have a wind shift from the east - it changes the my MPG to the opposite. I gave up worrying about mileage and just enjoy the ride. Knowing my MPG is better then my car is just another perk.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Also check for leaks at the quick connectors (under the tupperware). My mech told me he's seen some leak on the showroom floor. (One would think BMW would fix that one...)
post #20 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 4:38 pm

old vs new

I know it is true that the newer bikes (05 +) have more hp and different gearing than the older bikes. In fact I think the bikes made after 2001 are geared different than mine. I have a 2000 LT, and consistantly get 46-52 mpg. However, I ride often with a friend of who has a 2005 LT, and he consistantly gets better mileage than I do, and he probably outweighs me by at least 50 lbs. When we ride together, we basically are going the same speed etc, same windshield, and same gas. His bike just gets better gas mileage! Some bikes do better than others.
post #21 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Todays gasolines do a poor job of keeping our fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers clean. If you notice a loss of fuel economy or power, you might want to try one. I have, and it worked well for me in my K1200LT, Ford motorhome, Chevy Venture minivan and my 2006 Honda Civic Si. Some cost under $10 for a 20 gallon treatment and and you just pour into your gas tank every 4,000 miles.
post #22 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I am a firm believer of Sea Foam so I do use that, and the bike is due for some. I have not used a FI cleaner per say, but may try some next tank instead of the Sea Foam.

Thanks for reminding me.

My only reason for the question is it came on pretty quick after a nice steady rise from break in MPG of 36 to 44-45 MPG. Then dropping to 39-40 MPG.

Just wanted to be sure it was not another "trait" of the LT rearing it's ugly head.

It seems that MPG is all over the place with the responses to this question.

No worries here, just asking........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Todays gasolines do a poor job of keeping our fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers clean. If you notice a loss of fuel economy or power, you might want to try one. I have, and it worked well for me in my K1200LT, Ford motorhome, Chevy Venture minivan and my 2006 Honda Civic Si. Some cost under $10 for a 20 gallon treatment and and you just pour into your gas tank every 4,000 miles.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in