stranded - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

stranded

so what a weekend started great drove to cornwall for a lads weekend on the lt 4 of us in all 2 lts 1 r1 and a suzuki arrived friday and settled down great evening in local pub following day ride out day bit drizzly but ok so we went to lands end couldnt see a damn thing for the fog on the way back heard a knocking under lt thought it might be a stone or something so rode on went for a while then decided to fill up for fuel for the 180 mile ride home the fog was well down and thick headed for the b+b about 9 mile from b+b wobbling from rear end went to pull in and no rear brake came to stop with front and seen oil coming from final drive tried to nurse it back 9 mile but had to abandone in local garage went pillion on other lt and drowned sorrows
contacted breakdown and they said no way insurance not tranfered from last bike to this one following day tried always to get lt home but had to abandon came home on other lt pillion (good rider as well cheers rob) rang insurance on monday they say ok on breakdown cover but breakdown say no thanks to rob we collected tuesday by trailer and camper got back to garage and they recon its the bearing collapsed and split the seal and this is a common fault with the seal at 30000 mile apparentelly luckly its under warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your breakdown Nigel. I hope it gets sorted out.

Meanwhile, I noticed you seem to be short on punctuation. I got tired reading your message. Here are a few extras for you.
.................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~ $$$$$$$$$$$%%%%%%%%%;;;;;;;;;;

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:58 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

30,000 miles correct?

What year?

Sounds like you have good friends and you got your bike retrieved.

I would ask you go to the FD Poll and sign the wall of FD failure as I think it is the only way we gonna keep up even educated guesses on FD % per unit sold. Also do you have like our National Traffic Safety equivalent to report failures of products? A friend I work with, and turned me to BMW, had his go at 3600! He filled in the poll and reported it to our NTS and made sure is was filed under Final Drive Failure so hopefully BMW will need to answer this nagging issue sometime in the future, if enough are reported to the proper Traffic/Safety/Consumer authorities .

In no way a stab at BMW (well sorta) just think the only way consumers can make a manufacturer address something is have a class action suit or product recall/re manufacture. Great bikes but damn "Russian Roulette" riding is no fun either.

Again sounds like you are lucky to have friends to help you through.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
Sorry to hear about your breakdown Nigel. I hope it gets sorted out.

Meanwhile, I noticed you seem to be short on punctuation. I got tired reading your message. Here are a few extras for you.
.................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~ $$$$$$$$$$$%%%%%%%%%;;;;;;;;;;
Read it with an English accent, it makes sense then.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 9:22 pm

It also helps to have a half snoot full.

Or at least makes it tolerable to ready yet another such story.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 9 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickboxer
so what a weekend started great drove to cornwall for a lads weekend on the lt 4 of us in all 2 lts 1 r1 and a suzuki arrived friday and settled down great evening in local pub following day ride out day bit drizzly but ok so we went to lands end couldnt see a damn thing for the fog on the way back heard a knocking under lt thought it might be a stone or something so rode on went for a while then decided to fill up for fuel for the 180 mile ride home the fog was well down and thick headed for the b+b about 9 mile from b+b wobbling from rear end went to pull in and no rear brake came to stop with front and seen oil coming from final drive tried to nurse it back 9 mile but had to abandone in local garage went pillion on other lt and drowned sorrows
contacted breakdown and they said no way insurance not tranfered from last bike to this one following day tried always to get lt home but had to abandon came home on other lt pillion (good rider as well cheers rob) rang insurance on monday they say ok on breakdown cover but breakdown say no thanks to rob we collected tuesday by trailer and camper got back to garage and they recon its the bearing collapsed and split the seal and this is a common fault with the seal at 30000 mile apparentelly luckly its under warranty

Once again...I repeat...there is NOTHING wrong with the final drives on BMW's!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Once again...I repeat...there is NOTHING wrong with the final drives on BMW's!
Absolutely correct, there is NOTHING wrong with the ones still working!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Read it with an English accent, it makes sense then.
Not to me it doesn't! Gave up half way through.

Just pussin' through.
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 6:47 am

Oh Brian, what you wrote was cruel...absolutely funny, but cruel!

Cheers to all.

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in