Amsoil oil filter wrench - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:39 am Thread Starter
mos
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 119
Amsoil oil filter wrench

I am going to change the engine oil on my 05 LT. I am going to use Amsoil oil and filter . Will the BMW oil filter wrench work on the Amsoil filter ? I want to make sure I have all the tools needed to do the job before I order the Amsoil.
Mike
mos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:47 am
Senior Member
 
gr8fulfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Galt CA
Posts: 482
BMW wrench will not fit the Amsoil filter. Add the wrench to your order, it's not very much.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver


BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
gr8fulfred is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:48 am
Senior Member
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Outside New Braunfels , TX, USA
Posts: 13,451
It has so far. I hear they redid them, but I believe it was just internals to filter better.

You are good to go.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
grifscoots is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 1:01 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
I am going to change the engine oil on my 05 LT. I am going to use Amsoil oil and filter . Will the BMW oil filter wrench work on the Amsoil filter ? I want to make sure I have all the tools needed to do the job before I order the Amsoil.
Mike
The BMW OEM filter wrench will fit the older style Amsoil filter (SMF122 part number, I think) - but will NOT fit the new style Amsoil filter (EaOM122) . Unfortunately, I ordered three of the new style filters without knowing this. Fortunately, I've still got a couple of the old style filters, so will be deciding whether I wanna ditch the Amsoil filters, or the OEM wrench!!! May just go back to OEM filters - seems easiest to me. Plus I get to window shop at Lone Star!!!!

BTW - what the heck is Amsoil thinking??? Changing the filter case!!
Dick is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 4:36 pm
Senior Member
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
The BMW OEM filter wrench will fit the older style Amsoil filter (SMF122 part number, I think) - but will NOT fit the new style Amsoil filter (EaOM122) . Unfortunately, I ordered three of the new style filters without knowing this. Fortunately, I've still got a couple of the old style filters, so will be deciding whether I wanna ditch the Amsoil filters, or the OEM wrench!!! May just go back to OEM filters - seems easiest to me. Plus I get to window shop at Lone Star!!!!

BTW - what the heck is Amsoil thinking??? Changing the filter case!!
Dick,

Have you tried an Auto Parts store? They have all kinds of filter wrenches. I bought one that fits the OEM filter for $4.95 from O'Rilelys. They had a big selection. One might fit the Amsoil filter...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue


Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 5:38 pm
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Dick,

Have you tried an Auto Parts store? They have all kinds of filter wrenches. I bought one that fits the OEM filter for $4.95 from O'Rilelys. They had a big selection. One might fit the Amsoil filter...
Is that a painted filter wrench? LOL
Big_E is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 8:00 pm
Senior Member
 
Zotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Casper, WY, USA
Posts: 1,742
I don't know why folks just don't use oil paint on their filters and be done with it all.


Badda BING! Thank you thank you - try the veal!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zotter is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:54 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
I don't know why folks just don't use oil paint on their filters and be done with it all.


Badda BING! Thank you thank you - try the veal!
You talkin' dino or synth??
Dick is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:26 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Dick,

Have you tried an Auto Parts store? They have all kinds of filter wrenches. I bought one that fits the OEM filter for $4.95 from O'Rilelys. They had a big selection. One might fit the Amsoil filter...
Hey, Wolfgang - at your suggestion, and the suggestion of 'hood bud, Doug, I dropped in at an Advanced Auto Supply today. Took the OEM filter wrench (to make sure the wall thickness wuz right) and one of the new EaOM122 filters from Amsoil. Found a filter wrench that is a perfect fit.

Cup type 75/77mm 15 Flutes, 3/8" Dr. ratchet. Made in Wal-Mar.... errr, I mean, China! AmPro Specialty Tool Co. Metal - not polymer plastic. Less than 5 bones.
Dick is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Senior Member
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Wolfgang - at your suggestion, and the suggestion of 'hood bud, Doug, I dropped in at an Advanced Auto Supply today. Took the OEM filter wrench (to make sure the wall thickness wuz right) and one of the new EaOM122 filters from Amsoil. Found a filter wrench that is a perfect fit.

Cup type 75/77mm 15 Flutes, 3/8" Dr. ratchet. Made in Wal-Mar.... errr, I mean, China! AmPro Specialty Tool Co. Metal - not polymer plastic. Less than 5 bones.
Being the patriot that you are, you did not buy the Chinese product, or??
ROFL....

Let me see: German tool: $25.00 (?) Chinese tool $4.95 I bought the Chinese one several years ago.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue


Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 9:11 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Being the patriot that you are, you did not buy the Chinese product, or??
ROFL....
Well, yeah I did. Didn't wanna, butt I've got 4 new filters that I didn't wanna toss, so bit the bullet. I'm just hoping now that the female threads match up!! I still don't like what I see (or maybe don't see) inside the filter, compared to the old style --- butt I'm no expert on filter construction, so if they say the EaOM122 is an upgrade over the SMF122, then so be it. The filter case diameter is definitely smaller, and the rubber gasket doesn't stick up above the case as far as the old style. We'll see how it goes in a week or so when I finally change fluids.

Note: I'm seriously wondering why this new Amsoil filter and BMW OEM filter wrench mis-match hasn't been brought up here on the forums before now. The new filters have been out for several months, IIRC. No one else has had a problem?????
Dick is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 9:47 pm
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 575
Dick - the problem was brought up before. One solution is the Amsoil filter cap wrench #g2309 for $2.
TimVipond is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:40 pm
Senior Member
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,269
$2.00 ??? Where is this one made? Some place in Africa??

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue


Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:07 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Dick - the problem was brought up before. One solution is the Amsoil filter cap wrench #g2309 for $2.
Yep, you're right, Tim. RealWing did a thorough innards investigation of the BMW OEM filter, and the Amsoil filter - back in Feb this year. A good thread, pleasantly hi-jacked into car classics!! Click here if interested.
Dick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil filter wrench woes.... Florian K1200/1300GT (The Next Generation) 6 Mar 15th, 2007 2:47 pm
Amsoil EaOM122 Filter internals RealWing K1200LT 14 Mar 1st, 2007 6:58 pm
Amsoil Oil Filter Caper11 K1200LT 51 Dec 11th, 2006 8:16 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome