Amsoil oil filter wrench - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:39 am Thread Starter
mos

Amsoil oil filter wrench

I am going to change the engine oil on my 05 LT. I am going to use Amsoil oil and filter . Will the BMW oil filter wrench work on the Amsoil filter ? I want to make sure I have all the tools needed to do the job before I order the Amsoil.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:47 am

BMW wrench will not fit the Amsoil filter. Add the wrench to your order, it's not very much.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:48 am

It has so far. I hear they redid them, but I believe it was just internals to filter better.

You are good to go.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
I am going to change the engine oil on my 05 LT. I am going to use Amsoil oil and filter . Will the BMW oil filter wrench work on the Amsoil filter ? I want to make sure I have all the tools needed to do the job before I order the Amsoil.
Mike
The BMW OEM filter wrench will fit the older style Amsoil filter (SMF122 part number, I think) - but will NOT fit the new style Amsoil filter (EaOM122) . Unfortunately, I ordered three of the new style filters without knowing this. Fortunately, I've still got a couple of the old style filters, so will be deciding whether I wanna ditch the Amsoil filters, or the OEM wrench!!! May just go back to OEM filters - seems easiest to me. Plus I get to window shop at Lone Star!!!!

BTW - what the heck is Amsoil thinking??? Changing the filter case!!
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
The BMW OEM filter wrench will fit the older style Amsoil filter (SMF122 part number, I think) - but will NOT fit the new style Amsoil filter (EaOM122) . Unfortunately, I ordered three of the new style filters without knowing this. Fortunately, I've still got a couple of the old style filters, so will be deciding whether I wanna ditch the Amsoil filters, or the OEM wrench!!! May just go back to OEM filters - seems easiest to me. Plus I get to window shop at Lone Star!!!!

BTW - what the heck is Amsoil thinking??? Changing the filter case!!
Dick,

Have you tried an Auto Parts store? They have all kinds of filter wrenches. I bought one that fits the OEM filter for $4.95 from O'Rilelys. They had a big selection. One might fit the Amsoil filter...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #6 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Dick,

Have you tried an Auto Parts store? They have all kinds of filter wrenches. I bought one that fits the OEM filter for $4.95 from O'Rilelys. They had a big selection. One might fit the Amsoil filter...
Is that a painted filter wrench? LOL
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 8:00 pm

I don't know why folks just don't use oil paint on their filters and be done with it all.

Badda BING! Thank you thank you - try the veal!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 14 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
I don't know why folks just don't use oil paint on their filters and be done with it all.

Badda BING! Thank you thank you - try the veal!
You talkin' dino or synth??
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Dick,

Hey, Wolfgang - at your suggestion, and the suggestion of 'hood bud, Doug, I dropped in at an Advanced Auto Supply today. Took the OEM filter wrench (to make sure the wall thickness wuz right) and one of the new EaOM122 filters from Amsoil. Found a filter wrench that is a perfect fit.

Cup type 75/77mm 15 Flutes, 3/8" Dr. ratchet. Made in Wal-Mar.... errr, I mean, China! AmPro Specialty Tool Co. Metal - not polymer plastic. Less than 5 bones.
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Wolfgang - at your suggestion, and the suggestion of 'hood bud, Doug, I dropped in at an Advanced Auto Supply today. Took the OEM filter wrench (to make sure the wall thickness wuz right) and one of the new EaOM122 filters from Amsoil. Found a filter wrench that is a perfect fit.

Cup type 75/77mm 15 Flutes, 3/8" Dr. ratchet. Made in Wal-Mar.... errr, I mean, China! AmPro Specialty Tool Co. Metal - not polymer plastic. Less than 5 bones.
Being the patriot that you are, you did not buy the Chinese product, or??
ROFL....

Let me see: German tool: $25.00 (?) Chinese tool $4.95 I bought the Chinese one several years ago.

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #11 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Being the patriot that you are, you did not buy the Chinese product, or??
ROFL....
Well, yeah I did. Didn't wanna, butt I've got 4 new filters that I didn't wanna toss, so bit the bullet. I'm just hoping now that the female threads match up!! I still don't like what I see (or maybe don't see) inside the filter, compared to the old style --- butt I'm no expert on filter construction, so if they say the EaOM122 is an upgrade over the SMF122, then so be it. The filter case diameter is definitely smaller, and the rubber gasket doesn't stick up above the case as far as the old style. We'll see how it goes in a week or so when I finally change fluids.

Note: I'm seriously wondering why this new Amsoil filter and BMW OEM filter wrench mis-match hasn't been brought up here on the forums before now. The new filters have been out for several months, IIRC. No one else has had a problem?????
post #12 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Dick - the problem was brought up before. One solution is the Amsoil filter cap wrench #g2309 for $2.
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:40 pm

$2.00 ??? Where is this one made? Some place in Africa??

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #14 of 14 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Dick - the problem was brought up before. One solution is the Amsoil filter cap wrench #g2309 for $2.
Yep, you're right, Tim. RealWing did a thorough innards investigation of the BMW OEM filter, and the Amsoil filter - back in Feb this year. A good thread, pleasantly hi-jacked into car classics!! Click here if interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in