Winter riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Winter riding

In your opinion, what is the best riding glove for those cold days? I'm looking for a good heated glove..... and socks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:06 am

Gerbing! If you have their jacket or pants already it will be very easy to connect your gloves and socks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
In your opinion, what is the best riding glove for those cold days? I'm looking for a good heated glove..... and socks....

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:51 am

Not sure about anyone else, but I am *very* picky about gloves and footwear. They have to fit *well*. For gloves, I must have tried on hundreds. Found most were either too tight across the knuckles or an inch too long in each finger. Too tight, and it makes holding the grips painful. Too long makes grabbing the levers awkward.

There was a Gerbing's rep at the local dealer's open house, and I described my sizing problem to him. He pulled out a "Woman's size-M" and told me to try it. Perfect fit for *my* hands. The other size he had that fit me was his demo "Mens size-S" that hundreds of too-large hands have tried to squeeze into.

My hands were quite comfortable during this morning's ride to work (50 minutes one-way)--temperature was 35F/1C. The Gerbing's gloves are heated on the back of the hand, and down the back of each finger. Add the heated grips for the palms, and it works for me. I also have a Gerbing's jacket liner, but only an on/off switch for temperature control. These things get *hot*, so I turn them on until they feel warm, then off until I feel cold again. An adjustable controller would be the way to go.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:44 am Thread Starter

I have been looking at the Gerbings web site... Think I will go with the temp controller.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
I have been looking at the Gerbings web site... Think I will go with the temp controller.
Check this out.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29051

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 2:15 pm

Phantom -

I have Gerbing jacket and pants liners and sox but DO NOT like their non-water proof leather gloves. A couple of my riding buds show me how their Gerbing gloves saturate in the rain. You can prolly do some waterproofing to help but it's an issue to me.
http://www.gerbing.com/heat/glovesg3.html

Instead I use Widders with the water repellent glove outer shell and waterproof leather palms. Often the heated gloves are required for rain riding so this is important to me. Also Widders have full wrap box elements around the fingers, not just the finger backs as in the Gerbings. Our BMW heated grips may diminish the value of this feature but my Widders are really warm. http://www.widder.com/html/Product/LectricG/index.htm

As a further suggestion, I run my Widder gloves on a separate controller/connection. This way I can slip out of the gloves and leave them on the handlebars during fill-ups, coffee stops, and the necessary restroom break (which can be hazardous with dangling elec gloves). My gloves are toasty warm when I hop back on and roll away.

HTH

Bob in Indy

K12LT Black "Elvira"
'76 R75/6 "Old Blue"
Knights of the Roundel #333

Last edited by relic; Oct 31st, 2007 at 2:56 pm.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 4:25 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Been using their jacket liner and gloves for about 4 years on single controller.

I ride all winter here in PA cept snow/ice. I have lusted after socks and pants and was not sure of who I wanted.

Well I just bit on

http://www.gerbing.com/heat/CEpants.html

and this:

http://www.gerbing.com/tc/dualport.html

and these:

http://www.gerbing.com/heat/sockscomfort.html

I like the Cascade jacket but since I have the liner already I wont bite, just keep wearing the Leather, maybe next year a Olympia Voyager to go with the liner.

I like Gerbing because they are guaranteed for life on the electric and since they now have a true Protective heated over pant I think it will be very nice. And the liner and gloves look and work as new after 4 years.

Socks not sure of but wanted to try them for grins.

Sango Rider is a very cool guy and he will help you out on questions and such as he is a Gerbing dealer.

Gloves soaked, well I have some plastic mittens that I got with some gloves somewhere and carry them if it gets to bad. Just slip them on over the gloves. If It is raining that hard and I need electrics, I would be in full rain gear anyway. Leather will repel water for a bit, but once saturated it's over. If that happened and I still needed to move on, I would take them off and fire up the grips as you would be warmer at that point

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in