After the Brake Flush Demo at CCR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Wink After the Brake Flush Demo at CCR

Wednesday at CCR this year at the Tan-Tar-A Resort I had volunteered the use of my 2002 LT with 69,544 miles for the brake flush demo on an integrated model. The flush was completed successfully.

The next day, Jim Swanzy, Barry Adler and I decided to take a short ride in the area. About 6 miles from the resort, my LT abruptly quit with a loud bang. I managed to coast into the median where a visual inspection did not give any indication of the problem. The starter sounded like it turned but would not engage the engine. Barry and Swanzy made a few phone calls and within an hour John Munson, Jeff Eagan and Jerome Baxley came to my rescue with the Baxley trailer on display at CCR pulled behind Raffyís Dodge pickup. Jerome rolled the LT onto the trailer, tied the rear down and they took it and me to the Vendorís area at Tan-Tar-A. My sincere thanks to each of you.

Since Steve White had his mishap near the artic circle a few years ago and his motorcycle was towed to the nearest dealer at no charge by RV Roadhelp, I have had their service. Only had occasion to use it once when I was out of town and Debbie had a flat tire on her car in our garage at home. They sent someone out to change the tire in less than an hour. This time I called their 800 number and asked to have the bike towed to Engle Motors in Kansas City which at 168 miles is the closest dealer. Grassroots BMW who was the supporting Dealer at CCR is about 220 miles from Tan-Tar-A. Also I knew Jon Bush, a member of this site who works in the parts department at Engle Motors. RV Roadhelp contacted the local towing company at Osage Beach. They contacted me and sent their wrecker at 9AM on Friday to Tan-Tar-A. Raffy, Swanzy, and I helped load and tie down the bike on the flat bed for the trip to Kansas City. The LT arrived at the dealer Friday afternoon. All costs were paid by RV Roadhelp.

During the next week Engle Motors looked at the LT and determined that a nut had come loose from the front lower left cam journal, which ground into the timing case and cylinder head cover, was caught up in the timing gears and tore the timing chain off causing the bike to immediately stop. Most of the valves were bent, but no damage was noted to the head or to the pistons. Bob Kohlscheen, Engle Motors Master Mechanic with 25 plus years of experience stated he had never seen that happen to a K motor.

I had purchased an extended warranty from Pinnacle immediately after our CCR trip to Gatlinburg in 2003 and the warranty is in effect till December 18th of this year. I had used the warranty twice prior to this for replacement of the rear drive bearing and for replacement of the slave cylinder and clutch. Engle called Pinnacle and faxed the estimate for repair which was 2,978.00. Pinnacle asked for a copy of my maintenance records with receipts. I could have done a better job of record keeping since most of the services after 36,000 miles were either done at Grifís during a tech session, at Dick Largenís or by me at home. However each service, valve check, etc, was recorded in the BMW service booklet. After receipt of the records it was about a week or so later Pinnacle said they would pay 2,573.00 for the repair. All the parts were in the US, i.e.: cases, sprocket, rail, timing chain, gaskets, valve seals, ect., except the valves themselves which had to come from Germany.

The bike was finally repaired and ready for me to pick up on October 17th. Debbie and I had a planned trip to attend my nieces wedding in Gardner, Kansas on October 27th. While in-route to Gardner, John called on Wednesday October 24th and said they had noticed a puddle under the bike that morning and all of the rear brake fluid had leaked out of the ABS unit. Bob K checked out the unit and said it needed to be replaced. Again John called Pinnacle and told them what happened and the estimated repair was 2,500.00 plus for the unit and labor. Pinnacle whose office is located in Shawnee Mission, Kansas said they wanted to see the LT and would be there Thursday the 25th. Their representative came to the shop, talked with Bob and authorized the repair. John immediately had one sent over night (there were six in the US) and it arrived Friday morning around 10:30 while I was at their shop. Bob immediately started the repair. My portion of this cost was 25.00.

While I was at a Dinner on Friday night, John delivered the LT to our hotel in Olathe around 8:00PM. I test rode the bike Saturday for about 20 miles and everything worked as it should.

I rode the bike home Sunday and Monday with Debbie following in the car. The weather was clear and blue and the bike ran perfect for the 900 miles.

In conclusion, RV Roadhelp (http://www.rvroadhelp.com/rvroadhelp) is a must as it not only takes care of your automobiles or motorhome, but also your motorcycle and will tow to the nearest authorized dealer. Pinnacle Protection Plans are exactly what they say they are and in my case paid off big for the original $600 invested at the time. Engle Motors is a first class dealership who has one of the best mechanics in the country that I was lucky enough to have do the work on my bike.

Other than missing two months of the finest riding weather in Texas, I am happy with the outcome of this adventure. Two motorcycles are a must!!

Monte
Kerrville, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:00 am

Garage
Hello, Monte:

What a story! I'm glad everything worked out in your favor, as being stuck on vacation miles from home is terrible. The folks at CCR were very kind and helpful. Nothing less would be expected from such a class act. You were also quite fortunate to have what sounds like a great mechanic work on your LT. We should all be that lucky.

I'm curious about your extended warranty. I have about 13,000 miles on my LT and it has been in my possession since May of 04. An IronButt I am not, but I do occasionally take long trips. Now that age is more of a factor than actual mileage, I'm wondering if I should have bought an extended warranty like yours. Do you or anyone else know if companies, such as Pinnacle, sell extended warranties in cases like mine in which the factory warranty has expired already? I have all the service records from day one, so documentation shouldn't be an issue.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:44 am

Monte, do you think there is any corrolation between the brake flush and failure of the ABS unit? I know a couple of months expired after the flush but it also sounds like the bike was not ridden during that time.

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:56 am

Alright Monte!!! I am soo glad that it worked out for you. What are the odds that you take a bike in and the mechanic says that he has never seen that before? Good thing he knew what it was and how to fix it.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:21 am

On the road Again

Hi Monte,

Goods news. Back in the saddle again.
Talk to you soon.

Brian

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 5:39 pm

Monte!
Excellent news! Gee.. should feel like a "new" bike by now!!!!

My "warranty" will expire in December as well.. I already have the "extended" purchased.. now need to get the "towing" you recommend...

BTW... what failed on the ABS unit?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:14 am Thread Starter

I'm curious about your extended warranty. I have about 13,000 miles on my LT and it has been in my possession since May of 04. An IronButt I am not, but I do occasionally take long trips. Now that age is more of a factor than actual mileage, I'm wondering if I should have bought an extended warranty like yours. Do you or anyone else know if companies, such as Pinnacle, sell extended warranties in cases like mine in which the factory warranty has expired already? I have all the service records from day one, so documentation shouldn't be an issue

Joe,

Pinnacle must be purchased prior to the expiration of the factory warranty.

Monte
Kerrville, TX
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:17 am Thread Starter

Monte, do you think there is any corrolation between the brake flush and failure of the ABS unit? I know a couple of months expired after the flush but it also sounds like the bike was not ridden during that time.

Jamie,

Only six miles was put on the bike after the flush. I do not think it had anything to do with the leak although I do not know what caused the leak in the abs unit. (did not ask)

Monte
Kerrville.
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:42 am

Monte, when did you get your slave cyl and clucth repaired by Pinnacle? I have a policy with them I bought in May and they no longer cover clutch parts. Just curious.

Thanks

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 1:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebum
I didn't look at the old fluid, but it could have been the leak was plugged up by the gummy old stuff(not good for the ABS unit either). Kind of like the old saying about synthetic oil causing leaks that were actually caused by cleaning out the cruddy old dino deposits and thus a new leak.

Seriously the BEST thing you can do for your ABS unit is flush it regularly.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in