Is it time for a new bearing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Question Is it time for a new bearing?

Howdy all,

I just got the November issue of BMWON and in it I read the FD article. I got things to watch for,(one being tiny pieces on the drain plug magnet) but not a good indication from the article as to what to do and how soon and how many pieces.

Particles on the FD drain plug magnet are an indication of pieces of the wheel side bearing. Sooooooooooooo, my question is.............do I put in a new bearing when tiny pieces(maybe a 1/2 dozen) first appear on the magnet???

I replaced the FD bearings (19000 under warranty) and have now traveled 23000+ miles on the new bearings.....................I changed the FD oil yesterday and see specs on the magnet.

IS IT TIME TO DO AGAIN?????

I'm changing the oil in the engine and FD every 3000 miles or so. I know that's more often than recommended, but it's not that costly and I like tinkering with my '03 LT.

Gruru input appreciated.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 7:35 pm

My 2 cents are:
Visible metallic particles should not be evident in the oil and are a clear indication of impending failure of some part (most likely the bearing). The bearing balls should roll on a thin oil film as well as the gears and there should be no significant metal-to-metal contact. (There will be some microscopic iron particles from the gears sliding on each other - which is why the oil is very black until the gears bed in)

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Howdy all,

I just got the November issue of BMWON and in it I read the FD article. I got things to watch for,(one being tiny pieces on the drain plug magnet) but not a good indication from the article as to what to do and how soon and how many pieces.

Particles on the FD drain plug magnet are an indication of pieces of the wheel side bearing. Sooooooooooooo, my question is.............do I put in a new bearing when tiny pieces(maybe a 1/2 dozen) first appear on the magnet???

I replaced the FD bearings (19000 under warranty) and have now traveled 23000+ miles on the new bearings.....................I changed the FD oil yesterday and see specs on the magnet.

I'm changing the oil in the engine and FD every 3000 miles or so. I know that's more often than recommended, but it's not that costly and I like tinkering with my '03 LT.

Gruru input appreciated.

Thanks
Unfortunately it is quite common to have a grey "paste" of very fine particles on the magnet. However, the drive can run a LONG time like that. When you see particles that are of a size to be actually visible to the naked eye, that is likely a precursor to an impending bearing failure. If I were to see these, I would likely replace/repair the drive.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Also, keep in mind that the threads on the drain plug are soft. If someone tightens the plug too much, it can possibly break loose thread particles. This can also end up on the magnet of the plug. It happened to me..
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Thanks Men

My thought's too but just wanted to get some verification on it.

Now it's to the Clymer and a little wrenching on my own.

Hopefullly I can tell by looking at the bearing that it is in fact the bearing that the particles are coming from. Might be worth the trouble just to open it up and have a look-see!

Just wish I had the dollars to just install a whole new FD.

I think this one is defective elsewhere.

Might give the dealer a jingle to talk to the mechanic that did the work on my FD 23000 miles ago and get his feedback. Maybe he'll be GOOD to me. LOL

Thanks again................your input is very helpful.
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 7:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

What I noticed

First symptom that I got was a metallic rubbing sound that increased in frequency with speed (tire rotation). It went away at higher speeds since it will be left behind you. The brake pads rubbing on the rotor was easily ruled out. The rubbing sound, over time, got louder and louder. I would say I put on 1500 miles with this sound before I was fighting a wobbly rear end. SA wrote it off to being an old bike ('99 w/ 38K).
HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 11:54 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Happened much faster for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
First symptom that I got was a metallic rubbing sound that increased in frequency with speed (tire rotation). It went away at higher speeds since it will be left behind you. The brake pads rubbing on the rotor was easily ruled out. The rubbing sound, over time, got louder and louder. I would say I put on 1500 miles with this sound before I was fighting a wobbly rear end. SA wrote it off to being an old bike ('99 w/ 38K).
HTH,
Jer
Guess you were lucky as when my FD went out the first time I only went about 25 miles(trying to get home )after hearing the FD noise.

So to avoid the "beside the road" breakdown, maybe I should replace the bearing(if in fact that's where the shiny flecks on the magnet are coming from)as a remedy!

After looking at the Clymer, I don't have the proper tools to do the job right.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Garage
FYI. I saw a 2005 FD with 7K miles on it on eBay. At this time it has no bids and is at $349 bid and a $425 Buy it Now.
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 3:28 pm

Long story short......a local friend with an 03 and 40k miles just had his FD rebuilt for the 3rd time. Diagnosis occurred at our chapter's rally in September - he recognized the strange vibrations starting, and when we pulled the filler plug and dipped a little finger in, there were flakes visible in the oil. In addition, simply rotating the rear wheel on the centerstand and listening to the rumble was enough to convince me the bearing was going - again.

While it is not definitive, for all of us that regularly use the centerstand, it only takes a few seconds to spin the rear wheel and potentially know if a problem is imminent (not starting, but IMMINENT).

BTW, based on info from this site, I got the service manager in the above case to check with BMW and confirm that it IS important to measure the runout on the bearing, not just drop in a replacement. Unfortunately, the special tool from BMW to do this measurement costs $850.

For myself, I carry a new bearing and seal in a rubbermaid container, AND I have a 3k mile rear drive in my garage (purchased from another friend's bike after it was triked), packed in an appropriate shipping container - one call home can get it on the way to me if I am REALLY in trouble.
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2007, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Well MEN, Here is the good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Howdy all,

Gruru input appreciated.

Thanks
Today 11/9/07 Engles Motors BMW in Kansas City took a peek at my FD that just 3000 miles ago was showing me steel pieces on the FD drain plug magnet. It was still running smooth but wanted them to check it as I figured something was going on inside the FD. Bob took it apart and determined that indeed a new bearing was in order.

Soooooo, I beleive that if we check the drain magnet often enough we can eliminate the break down on the road. At least it did in my case.

Others have said that a FD breakdown has no telltale signs ahead of the breakdown. I feel that if we pay attention maybe we can.

Just my observation.

Carry on and be safe out there!!!

Oh and yes, a BIG thank you to Bob and the fellows at Engles Motors BMW in Kansas City , MO. A GOOD Dealer in my opinion!

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2007, 9:12 pm

Was it less than two years since the last repair? If so BMW should have picked up the costs of this repair.. ? Thought there was a 24 month warranty for dealer repairs?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2007, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Didn't cost a penny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Was it less than two years since the last repair? If so BMW should have picked up the costs of this repair.. ? Thought there was a 24 month warranty for dealer repairs?
Yes, all was paid for. It had been 13 months since the FD overhaul.
And you're right...........parts were covered for 24 months. I was well under that. I did expect to pay for some of the labor, but the bill was $0.00. What a deal!

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 10th, 2007, 6:09 am

Ditto, Bob at Engle is the "Best" in my book!

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in