Prolly a stupid question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Prolly a stupid question

How do you remove the radio antenna?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
How do you remove the radio antenna?
Twist the bullet-shaped shroud, at the base of the antenna, clockwise to a stop and lift it. Under it will be a ?hex? shape nut (you may have a flat, teenie-weenie wrench in your toolkit for unscrewing this nut) to loosen, and then the antenna stick will lift out of the socket. Careful when re-inserting, as the spring at the bottom of the stick needs to be pretty much centered in the recess.

If you have a Service and Technical Booklet, the picture instructions are on page 67. HTH.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:12 pm

It is very fragile. You pull up the black plastic and there is a nut there. and the wire snaps in from the bottom of the mount under a screw plate. Be very careful because on the mast there is only a small wire that should have a small piece of metal on it coiled up. I would not remove it unless you never plan on using it. I did it because I got horrible reception. Tried fixing it now I get hardly any.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:43 pm

Never have a problem. . .

That seems odd. I have ZERO problems with reception and I remove my antenna frequently, since I put a cover on the bike whenever it's outside over night. I've not particularly even paid attention to the connection: I just raise the plastic cover, unscrew the chromed nut and typicaly store the antenna on the foot pegs. Never been careful about the connection end -never even looked at it! No problems.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Thumbs up Funny thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Twist the bullet-shaped shroud, at the base of the antenna, clockwise to a stop and lift it. Under it will be a ?hex? shape nut (you may have a flat, teenie-weenie wrench in your toolkit for unscrewing this nut) to loosen, and then the antenna stick will lift out of the socket. Careful when re-inserting, as the spring at the bottom of the stick needs to be pretty much centered in the recess.

If you have a Service and Technical Booklet, the picture instructions are on page 67. HTH.
Actually>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I turn my shroud counter clockwise to release it then gently pull it up the antenna.

Had mine off several times this summer. I keep wearing out a 3 X 5 inch American flag and have to attach a new one. Good for finding my bike in a parking lot or anywhere else, for that matter.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:56 pm

I think my problem was the PO took it off and messed with it bending it all up. It was loose so I tightened it and then made it real bad. Took it completely off and that little wire was all messed up. Its about impossible to get it back to original after someone must have straightened it out and tried re-coiling it.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone

I'll go give it a try.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #8 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I'll go give it a try.
Here's some photos to help you out:

Here's the CB antenna, on the right side. It's even easier - a set screw (hidden on the left side of the tapered metal top of the base) holds the whip in place. Just loosen the set screw and the whip slides right out.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Looks like another plus for the "05 & later LTs. Mine twists right off & back on - I remove it every night .... (I always cover the bike). What I don't understand is why we can't have one that's as nice as the GW!!!!!
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 8:53 am

Ah Ha!

I didn't pay any attention to a model year difference: didn't even realize there was one. Looking at the phots of the older antenna, I see why there could be a problem. Actually looked at my '05, and I see why there isn't!
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 3:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemfusion
That seems odd. I have ZERO problems with reception and I remove my antenna frequently, since I put a cover on the bike whenever it's outside over night. I've not particularly even paid attention to the connection: I just raise the plastic cover, unscrew the chromed nut and typicaly store the antenna on the foot pegs. Never been careful about the connection end -never even looked at it! No problems.
I installed a grommet on my cover and slip the whip right through the cover!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in